Cartoons we need em . post your favourites here .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
The Devide is of cause Watling Street, South of it is just southern softies. North of it we are proud Vikings so you'd better beware.

I thought the diving line between North and South was the Thames

Nope. The dividing line is definitively the M62
1708810729591.png

Nope. The dividing line is definitively the M62
View attachment 722556
Approaching FerryBridge

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One way of dividing the country would be to plot on a map all of the motorway signs that indicate a compass direction with a definite article eg "The North".

There's probably a motorway enthusiasts website somewhere that has a signs database.

Stoke stakes its claim to be in the midlands.
1708853808864.png

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
One way of dividing the country would be to plot on a map all of the motorway signs that indicate a compass direction with a definite article eg "The North".

There's probably a motorway enthusiasts website somewhere that has a signs database.

View attachment 722578

If you're in the Northern half of the city you tend to head North to Manchester for shopping trips , big nights out etc .
In the Southern half Birmingham has the same draw. So I reckon the divide is in Stoke .

Mike_P

Guru
I thought the diving line between North and South was the Thames

A major river will be a diving line but as to how it equates to North v South is open to debate. I heard the same thing said of the Trent but in both cases on the west side of the country neither would be an obstacle.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think you need to chop off the three other nations ( Scotland, Wales, Cornwall ) then draw a straight nine between North/ South, and East/ West compass points. Anything above the intersection is North 😉

Mike_P

Guru

View attachment 722578

Afraid that's common throughout the country.
1708864254572.png

In terms of the UK mainland as a whole the centre is near enough Harrogate which is why for many years the town had principal ICI and British Gas offices.

I think you need to chop off the three other nations ( Scotland, Wales, Cornwall ) then draw a straight nine between North/ South, and East/ West compass points. Anything above the intersection is North 😉

I think in Geography it was generally agreed that if you divided by the main demographic differences like life expectancy, income, education et c the line went from the Bristol Channel to The Wash.

Having grown up with 'The North' and 'The South' as reference points, it made Germany very confusing at first.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In the (very enjoyable) film Kinky Boots, Chiwetal Ejifor's outrageous transvestite character refers to Northampon as "in the North". The proprietor of the shoe company corrects him, but Ejifor responds "The North starts at Tottenham court road"

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
A major river will be a diving line but as to how it equates to North v South is open to debate. I heard the same thing said of the Trent but in both cases on the west side of the country neither would be an obstacle.

In Kingston-Upon-Hull, the River Hull discects the city into East & West Hull, there is a 'North Hull' in the West of the City, luckily though the River Humber cuts accross the 'bottom' of the city, so there is no South Hull...

I thought the official line went from the Dee estuary up to the Humber estuary at Hull

Chester is debatable
Liverpool is North - clearly
The Wirral is North because making the place Lilly Savage came from South is clearly wrong (although Heswall is not so clear!!!!)

I have no clue about fringe area in the Far East - but Hull does not sound Southern or Midlands to me

anyway - that's how I think of it

Top Bottom