Cavendish to Quick Step?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't think that means all three are going to Leaky, but just that they're in talks.
It's difficult to see who might take the Schlecks on really, with Frank's drug bust still being judged and Andy's strange non-season.
Wasn't the chat a while back that AS would go back to Saxo and Bertie to Movistar maybe.

Nearly there

Veteran
I think Sky would want to keep the Nucleus of a successful team If Froome left who would fill his shoes?And why couldn't Sky go for yellow and Green next year?If a team has 9 riders in a tour could they not have 4 riders protecting Wiggins or Froome and 3 for Cav or would that not work?

yello

Cav has proved time and again that he can win without a "train"

Well, in fairness, he has done on occasions it but it's not how most of his wins have come and it's not what he's known for. That's why I was excited at the possibility of him developing the talent. He's shown he's got the nous to do it.

But I can certainly see what Chuffy means by "one dimensional" even if it is a little harsh. I think it fair to say that, generally speaking, Cavendish does require more resource from a team (in terms of other riders) just to get him to the final 5km whether there is a lead out train or no.

raindog

er.....
If a team has 9 riders in a tour could they not have 4 riders protecting Wiggins or Froome and 3 for Cav or would that not work?
Well it didn't this year, or at least, Brailsford decided that it wouldn't. Apart from Bernie Eisel, who rarely leaves Cav's side, and the last two stages when yellow was definitely in the bag, Cav was more or less left to his own devices for three weeks.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I actually expect him to remain with sky for a number of reasons:

1) He has stated quite vocally that he wants to return to the track at Rio 2016, so pissing off the core of SKY/teamGB might not be the best move (not that a agreed separation would cause this, but it's still a factor).

2) He has a young family who want to remain in the UK, it helps that SKY is based here. Whilst Cav can live anywhere he wants (or multiple countries...he has the money after all), again it's a small consideration.

3) SKY clearly is the best team in the world right now, and whilst he might not always be the top billing, they have the strength in depth to win for him in many races.

4) No-one else is going to offer the kind of money he's on right now, so he would have to take a paycut (not that I think money is a huge motivator right now for him).

5) He's grown up with most of the squad / directors, that must make for a much better working environment than people you can't really talk to due to language barriers etc...

I'm sure there are many reasons to stay or go, but I'd like him to stay. I would also like to see Bradley support Froome next yr for the tour GC (but hey, you can't always get everything you want...)

Looking forward to seeing Froome-dog kick some spanish ass today....

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
as far as I can make out, only the first five stages of the 2013 TdF have been settled. Now............the 2012 TdF suited Wiggins. The 2013 TdF may not. There's no sentiment in Sky, and Dave Brailsford will look at the course and choose the best prospect for yellow. If it's vertiginous that will surely mean Froome - presuming he does well in the Vuelta and is in good shape next June. And, if it's Froome surely the requirement for lung-busting five or six man long distance sessions at the front for the climbing stages will be less critical. Would Sky then be in a position to go for green and yellow?

The other big consideration is Sagan. Hushovd beat Cav to green because he was better in the 'general' stages. Sagan would appear (to me, if nobody else) to have the same advantage. But..........Cavendish still won three stages and took his total to an extraordinary 23 stages (I have to think twice as I type that). To put that in to context, Cipo and Zabel only won twelve each - he's nigh on equalling their combined record! History beckons. He might think that overtaking Leduq and Hinault means more than another green jersey. He's only 27 years old, and must fancy his chances. Perhaps he thinks that if he can stick at it long enough he might overhaul Merckx! If stage wins are the priority, where better to be than Sky?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
4) No-one else is going to offer the kind of money he's on right now, so he would have to take a paycut (not that I think money is a huge motivator right now for him).
might BMC come up with the dosh? They have a higher wage bill than Sky

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
might BMC come up with the dosh? They have a higher wage bill than Sky

Possibly. I think we might see cuddles retire soon, so they might have a top slot free, however tejay van garderen is being talked about as a future GC contender, so Cav could find himself playing second fiddle yet again. He needs a squad with no strong GC guys really.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
as far as I can make out, only the first five stages of the 2013 TdF have been settled. Now............the 2012 TdF suited Wiggins. The 2013 TdF may not. There's no sentiment in Sky, and Dave Brailsford will look at the course and choose the best prospect for yellow. If it's vertiginous that will surely mean Froome - presuming he does well in the Vuelta and is in good shape next June. And, if it's Froome surely the requirement for lung-busting five or six man long distance sessions at the front for the climbing stages will be less critical. Would Sky then be in a position to go for green and yellow?

The other big consideration is Sagan. Hushovd beat Cav to green because he was better in the 'general' stages. Sagan would appear (to me, if nobody else) to have the same advantage. But..........Cavendish still won three stages and took his total to an extraordinary 23 stages (I have to think twice as I type that). To put that in to context, Cipo and Zabel only won twelve each - he's nigh on equalling their combined record! History beckons. He might think that overtaking Leduq and Hinault means more than another green jersey. He's only 27 years old, and must fancy his chances. Perhaps he thinks that if he can stick at it long enough he might overhaul Merckx! If stage wins are the priority, where better to be than Sky?

All great points, except IF as you said chasing total stage wins is the priority why would Sky be best team, in that why wouldn't a team with no GC ambition (say for the sake of speculative argument 2013 Quickstep, and not unlike htc previously) fully dedicated to him not be the best team?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I take your point - but the sheer technical and organisational brilliance of Sky makes them the ideal team to work with. But.yes, if he could fashion a deal with another team, bring Bernie with him, bring some of Sky's innovations across........

lukesdad

I take your point - but the sheer technical and organisational brilliance of Sky makes them the ideal team to work with. But.yes, if he could fashion a deal with another team, bring Bernie with him, bring some of Sky's innovations across........

I don't think its bernie he needs now, the 'G'man would be a much better choice.

Nearly there

Veteran
Well it didn't this year, or at least, Brailsford decided that it wouldn't. Apart from Bernie Eisel, who rarely leaves Cav's side, and the last two stages when yellow was definitely in the bag, Cav was more or less left to his own devices for three weeks.
how about evbh thomas stannard for Cav and froome porte knees rogers for wiggins

I think Sky threw absolutely everything at the GC this year, with nothing left to chance. They might relax a bit in future, now they know how to do it.

Top Bottom