Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond CC Ecosse Islay 4-Day Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ellebells

:sad: With regret, I need to remove myself from the 'maybe' list ...:cry:
Sorry @Fubar, @Pat "5mph" and @Ellebells, I hope you can revise the ladies' accommodation from quadruple/triple to twins without too much hassle.

Nearer the time, I am hoping (being an optimist) that I MIGHT just be able to sneak off early on the Friday, catch a late afternoon ferry and head the short way round to Lochranza, if there are any spare beds left ... so I can buy @Fubar a drink for his troubles and deposit some cake ... could even head across to Kintyre the next day, see you onto the big ferry and pootle back on my lonesome.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

T

That's such a shame @Telemark - hopefully you can join in for a wee bit but if not here's hoping for the next one ^_^

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Deposit Paid and confirmation email received from SYHA - message sent to all participants.

If anyone wishes to add themselves at this late stage (only 28 weeks to go...) please PM me for details.

Cheers! Mark

Unfortunately due to a change in circumstances we will no longer be able to attend this ride. I'm happy for the accommodation reserved in our name to be used by anyone else if they wish to attend.

Hope that it's a good'un!
Ed

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
That's a real shame @Edwardoka, you and Gill will be missed.

That leaves a double/twin room booking open - the remaining payment isn't due until 4 July so before then if anyone who is/was interested but couldn't confirm earlier let me know I'll see if we can juggle things about - @Pat "5mph" would any more of your Belles be interested?

Regards, Mark

MOD EDIT: Interested in Islay trip is it too late to join this trip? from Fiona MacNeill (email: f_douglas@hotmail.co.uk
At @Fubar 's request, please keep this thread for attendance matters and use the other one here for chatting about Fubar's Epic Tour.

OP EDITED 27 JANUARY:
Ok, this tour has been well discussed in another thread and I reckon everyone who is interested has seen it, so now clarifying the final plan!

DAY 1: FRIDAY 15 AUGUST - Meet at Ardrossan for ferry to Arran, long way round to Lochranza and overnight stay at Lochranza Youth Hostel (£19 PPPN), route as follows: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3867865 - plenty time in the afternoon for more cycling, segment bagging, etc.

DAY 2: SATURDAY 16 AUGUST - Lochranza to Argyll by ferry, cycle across the peninsula then Kennacraig ferry to Port Askaig and cycle to Port Charlotte - overnight stay at Port Charlotte Youth Hostel (£19 PPPN), route as follows: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3867895

DAY 3: SUNDAY 17 AUGUST: Free day! There are various options, including @MikeW-71's tour of Islay (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3894311), a trip to Jura and back or just lounging around - overnight stay at Port Charlotte Youth Hostel (£19 PPPN).

DAY 4: MONDAY 18 AUGUST: Cycle Port Charlotte to Port Ellen to catch ferry to Kennacraig, cycle to Claonaig for ferry to Lochranza, then cycle to Brodick (the hard way!) for ferry back to Ardrossan and home, route as follows: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3887834

On the basis that quite a few have shown interest I contacted the Youth Hostel Association and they have space, I'm waiting on them clarifying a couple of points (ladies in one room, and a request for an individual room) - I now have a provisional booking and will be paying in the next couple of days - DEADLINE WEDNESDAY 29 JANUARY (9AM)

They require a 20% deposit up front with final payment 6 weeks before the dates. I am willing to pay the deposit and recoup the money on trust, but don't want to be put in the awkward position of having to chase people or losing out, so can everyone who is DEFINITELY INTERESTED and can commit to those dates please let me know on this thread - names from the other thread are as follows:

CONFIRMED: :thumbsup:
@Fubar
@MikeW-71
@DougieAB
@Pat "5mph"
@mcshroom
@Ellebells
@Edwardoka
@Gee_Dee
@Harry_Palmer79
@Brandane

PROBABLE (i.e. better not pull out now without a note!):
@Scoosh :wahhey:

OUT:
@Telemark :cry:

Hopefully I have not missed anyone! I have no problem if someone says they can't commit now but decides to come along later - they will be responsible for their own bookings though. Same if someone wants to do a different tour - this one is mine, feel free to organise your own.

A couple of other thoughts are:
It's not much mileage overall but it is 4 days on a bike, and all that entails. Some of the roads might not be great and some of the routes will be tough (Lochranza to Brodick!) but not impossible - I've tried to allow plenty time to reach ferry ports and for mechanicals, etc.

The group will always endeavour to help and the aim is not to leave anyone behind, however I can't be held responsible for crashes, illness, injury, hangovers, broken bikes, death, falling out, etc etc etc - there will not be the same service on the islands as there is on the mainland so personal responsibility is a must - insurance (i.e. membership of British Cycling) is probably a good idea.

If you pay then can't go we'll try to find a replacement but if not you lose your money.

Ferries are subject to change/cancellation, if that happens we'll have to plan on the hoof.

The weather might be bad and the midgies might be biting - tough.

That list is not exhaustive and seems harsh, but I'm just being up front and covering my own back (a good trick!) - I'm not a travel agent so this is just me doing what I can when I can, hence the early bookings, plus it gives us something to look forward to!

I personally think it will be a great 4 days - I have a spreadsheet with more details about ferry timings, etc which I'll post up under this. Any questions/comments let me know!

Cheers, Mark
Hi one and all, I have received confirmation back from SYHA of the provisional booking as follows:

View attachment 36739

Unfortunately for the ladies they didn't have the triple room available for Lochranza so booked a Quad room with slight increase in costs (£80 for the room) - @Pat "5mph" @Ellebells and @Telemark (if coming) is that ok? Total cost: £202 /3 = £67.33 each.

@Edwardoka and @Gee_Dee you have Twin/Double rooms booked at a total cost of £140.

Everyone else: me, @MikeW-71 , @Harry_Palmer79 , @DougieAB , @Brandane , @mcshroom are booked into the Dorms, total cost: £342 /6 = £57 each (assuming my calcs are correct!).

Can everyone confirm they are happy with this arrangement please - I have a maximum of 28 days to pay the deposit but if everyone is happy with the above then as soon as @Telemark can confirm or otherwise I'll go ahead and pay the deposit.

Hope that all makes sense, let me know if any queries/obvious problems. Cheers, Mark

Interested in Islay trip is it too late to join I can book my own accomodation. I have recently started coming out with belles on bikes, reasonably cycle fit have had various island cycle holidays.

Top Bottom