Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond Chat for CC Ecosse Islay Cycle Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Sounds good to me, @Fubar :thumbsup:. Regarding a proper Jura explore, I was thinking that the other ferry from Tayvallich might be perfect for an amazing long weekend all by itself, only setting foot on Islay briefly, or not at all if going back via the same ferry ... More island tours :hyper: anyone?

As I said earlier, I'll go with the flow if I'm coming along, very happy to share with@pat "5mph", @Ellebells, and/or others, but would prefer quiet sleepers if possible :thumbsup:... Once we've sorted out our holidays, hopefully not to clash with this, I'm happy to take care of my own booking (or a shared booking obviously), to make life easier for @Fubar ...

@Fubar, you might want to enquire about the size of 'the dorms' for those interested, I don't think they are as huge and scary as it sounds, the largest I remember staying in was 8 or 10 beds, it obviously depends on the individual hostel ... A lot of hostels have upgraded massively in recent years, precisely for not scaring people away. I'll be back home shortly, happy to help out with further investigations if needed.

T

MikeW-71

Veteran
If we don't do Jura, then we have a full tour of two islands. Around Arran to Lochranza and a pootle round Islay with a stress-free return leg on the fourth day.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3882235

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Sounds good to me, @Fubar :thumbsup:. Regarding a proper Jura explore, I was thinking that the other ferry from Tayvallich might be perfect for an amazing long weekend all by itself, only setting foot on Islay briefly, or not at all if going back via the same ferry ... More island tours :hyper: anyone?

As I said earlier, I'll go with the flow if I'm coming along, very happy to share with@pat "5mph", @Ellebells, and/or others, but would prefer quiet sleepers if possible :thumbsup:... Once we've sorted out our holidays, hopefully not to clash with this, I'm happy to take care of my own booking (or a shared booking obviously), to make life easier for @Fubar ...

@Fubar, you might want to enquire about the size of 'the dorms' for those interested, I don't think they are as huge and scary as it sounds, the largest I remember staying in was 8 or 10 beds, it obviously depends on the individual hostel ... A lot of hostels have upgraded massively in recent years, precisely for not scaring people away. I'll be back home shortly, happy to help out with further investigations if needed.

T

I'm back in the office on Friday so will email them back with an enquiry re dorms/rooms, then we have all the info - they are already fully booked for 9 days in July!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@ fubar, it's your decision in the end whether to sleep on 3 islands or on two :thumbsup:. Very difficult to please everybody :stop:, so best to plan your ideal trip and those who want to come along are welcome!

If you want to know what others' preferences are, mine would be to get to know Islay better, with the options to nip over to Jura, lounge in the hostel and watch the clouds/rain whizz by, sit on a beach for a bit or whatever, rather than a "must do regardless schedule", to get from A to B and back to the mainland at the end of it ... much more relaxing.
Also frees us from carrying overnight stuff all the time ...

Thanks again for all your efforts :hugs:, owe you a :cheers: on an island off the west coast

T

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@ fubar, it's your decision in the end whether to sleep on 3 islands or on two :thumbsup:. Very difficult to please everybody :stop:, so best to plan your ideal trip and those who want to come along are welcome!

If you want to know what others' preferences are, mine would be to get to know Islay better, with the options to nip over to Jura, lounge in the hostel and watch the clouds/rain whizz by, sit on a beach for a bit or whatever, rather than a "must do regardless schedule", to get from A to B and back to the mainland at the end of it ... much more relaxing.

Thanks again for all your efforts :hugs:, owe you a :cheers: on an island off the west coast

T

Every time you chip in your cycle log increases!

I think we are on exactly the same wavelength (and to an extent I'm thinking out loud), would love to see as much of Islay as I can (mythical to me as all my family lived there before I was born) and it might be my only chance! I'll enquire more about the dorms and then make a final decision which for me will err with Islay - others can make their own plans if so desired.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:tongue: Just going for a wee ride most days with HJ since the weather is spectacularly un-winter-like, no skiing :cry: But got the loan of a bike each, so all is well :dance:.

Back on topic, I really hope we don't have to book our holidays too close or during mid-August, it's not entirely up to us. Wait & see...

So you are really an Islayer (what's the right word here?) rather than a Fifer then? :smile:

Off to bed now :hello:

T

Ellebells

The other thing I was going to add is are the ladies who have expressed an interest happy to be in the dormitory accommodation or would you wish "special" arrangements? I hasten to add I've never stayed in a youth hostel in my life so have no idea if they seperate smelly, noisy boys from dainty ladies but if they don't is that a problem???

Also if someone feels they can't commit at this time there is nothing to stop them booking into the same YH's at a later date and joining us! Assuming you can get a booking.... ;)

Hi Fubar - I'm with @Pat "5mph" and @Telemark on this one and I'm happy to share with them if there's a 3 or 4 bed room we can have :smile:

Ellebells

T

Couldn't agree more with this @Telemark :thumbsup:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@Fubar I agree that you should call the shots regarding route and timing and others can opt in or out as they please.

I certainly don't mind sharing but I am currently a "don't know" as I am currently negotiating for a new job that will have me on fewer holidays.

You need to include cycling hols into your negotiations if you have strong cards to play :thumbsup:, all the best!

T

MikeW-71

Veteran
I've just been trial-fitting a "minimum necessary" load of clothes into a 10l backpack :whistle: (fits with room to spare)

A 10l rack bag and a small bar bag should do nicely!

Can you tell I'm in for this? Also seem to have booked time off work.....

Top Bottom