Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond Chat for CC Ecosse Islay Cycle Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
A few of us were having a discussion on Facebook yesterday about a cycle trip to Islay in 2014 (my folks lived there before I was born but I've never been) - this "evolved" into a five ferries cycle tour including Islay and Jura along the lines of the following, helpfully created by @Edwardoka :

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3831718

I'm thinking August (because it suits me), I'm thinking 2-3 days touring with camping gear (say Friday-Sunday) and I'm thinking it will take a bit of organising and commitment from all parties (i.e. don't just enthusiatically say yes then pull out at the last minute :gun:, and sometimes I am guilty of this heinous crime :cursing:) - therefore could we discuss the pros and cons, possible dates (and those dates that don't suit) and can I have some expressions of interest from the CC Ecosse community?

B&B/Hotel'ing it might be an option but I was trying to keep the costs low and the organisation simple(r) :scratch:- We may also be restricted by maximum numbers and campsite restrictions (i.e. no all male groups) so it could all be pie in the sky, previous experience here would be useful.

I realise I might be opening myself up for a world of pain but at least there is 8 months to organise it!

Best Wishes, Fubar

P.S. Remember it's a tour, not a race...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Nice idea, but way early for me to commit :shy:

I know it's always windy on the islands, but camping in August might be a wee bit midgy :surrender:... Especially in the evenings & mornings when setting up/putting away the tent and cooking/eating ...
There are hostels and bunk houses, too, definitely at least on Islay, which would keep the costs reasonable, and one wouldn't have to lug tent + sleeping bag + cooking stuff all the way... Just some further thoughts :thumbsup:

Definitely something nice to think about while it's dark, cold and wet outside :smile:

T

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I quite like the sound of this.:becool:
August is good for me (early August being the best). Camping and keeping costs reasonable sound just great too. If it's a bit 'midgy' you wouldn't have to worry because they'd all make a bee-line for me and you'd be in the clear.
I've never been to that part of the world, so can't help with anything on that front.

Culicoides impunctatus is also my primary reason for not wanting to do a Hebridean camping tour between April-August. Gill and I walked a corner of the Kintyre Way either last year or the one before and the entire time we were putting up and tearing down the tent was primarily spent swatting, swearing, running away from the tent and spraying ourselves ineffectually with midge repellent.

September is also a bad idea, for different reasons.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I'm with Pat, Louch don't camp, or is camp or any other crap camp jokes made already on Facebook that don't need recycled.

If its camping I am out, if there's 4 walls, a roof and running water I am in.

And I will win the race :smile:

I'm with Pat, Louch don't camp, or is camp or any other crap camp jokes made already on Facebook that don't need recycled.

If its camping I am out, if there's 4 walls, a roof and running water I am in.

And I will win the race :smile:
@Pat "5mph" has an excuse for not wanting to camp, I wouldn't want to go camping with a bunch of smelly men either if I was a cultured lady like she is with a penchant for strong espresso and riding bikes heavier than she is.
I have consulted the rule book and it transpires that @Louch, in fact, is not a cultured lady with a penchant for strong espresso OR riding bikes heavier than he is, and therefore doesn't get to use that excuse.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Nice idea, but way early for me to commit :shy:

I know it's always windy on the islands, but camping in August might be a wee bit midgy :surrender:... Especially in the evenings & mornings when setting up/putting away the tent and cooking/eating ...
There are hostels and bunk houses, too, definitely at least on Islay, which would keep the costs reasonable, and one wouldn't have to lug tent + sleeping bag + cooking stuff all the way... Just some further thoughts :thumbsup:

Definitely something nice to think about while it's dark, cold and wet outside :smile:

T

I'll do a wee bit of research tomorrow on the hostel idea, though could be busy in August as well.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I'll do a wee bit of research tomorrow on the hostel idea, though could be busy in August as well.
... And therefore would need pre-booking, which involves commitment at some point & pre-payment/deposit ... it's a vicious circle and a thankless task for the poor long-suffering organiser ... :hugs: Thanks in advance for your patience!

There is a SYHA hostel in Port Charlotte (W end of Islay) that looks quite nice and even has a bike store :thumbsup: (haven't been there and don't have shares). August still available ...

As an aside, This website lists all sorts of bunkhouses on islands & elsewhere, inc. Arran & Bute, but not Islay or Jura.

A google search for accommodation on Jura only comes up with hotel/B&B & cottages, + camping. Could the Jura leg be done as a day trip from Islay?

This is a VERY bad idea, I'm starting to dream about all sorts of related holidays :rolleyes:

T

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Ok after a bit of puzzling over timetables, distances, etc I think I've got a ride and timetable of-sorts, broken down into a 3-day tour:

Day 1: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3840852
FRIDAY 15 AUGUST
PARKING: ARDROSSAN HARBOUR
COST:
TBC
FERRY: ARDROSSAN - BRODICK (ARRAN)
DEPART ARRIVE

07:00 07:55
COST:
£11.35 (RETURN)
CYCLING: BRODICK - LOCHRANZA (APPROX 15 MILES: HARD!)
DEPART ARRIVE

08:15 10:15 (APPROX)
FERRY: LOCHRANZA - CLOANAIG (ARGYLL)
DEPART ARRIVE

10:45 11:15
COST:
£10.35 (RETURN)
CYCLING: CLOANAIG - KENNACRAIG (APPROX 6 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

11:30 12:30
FERRY: KENNACRAIG - PORT ASKAIG (ISLAY)
DEPART ARRIVE

13:00 14:55
COST:
£12.90 (RETURN)
CYCLING: PORT ASKAIG - PORT CHARLOTTE (APPROX 15 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

15:15 17:15
ACCOMMODATION:
PORT CHARLOTTE YOUTH HOSTEL
COST:
£19.00 (PPPN)
TOTAL DAY COST (EXCLUDING FOOD): £53.60
TOTAL MILEAGE: APPROX 36 MILES

Day 2: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3840856
SATURDAY 16 AUGUST
CYCLING: PORT CHARLOTTE - PORT ASKAIG (APPROX 15 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

09:00 10:15/11:00
FERRY: PORT ASKAIG - FEOLIN (JURA)
DEPART ARRIVE

10:30/11:15 10:35/11:20
COST:
£1.60
CYCLING: FEOLIN - AS FAR NORTH ON JURA AS WE CAN GO! (AND BACK AGAIN)
APPROX 50 MILES (POTENTIALLY HARD)
DEPART ARRIVE

11-11:30 15-16:00
FERRY: FEOLIN - PORT ASKAIG (ISLAY)
DEPART ARRIVE

15:30/16:20 15:30/16:25
COST:
£1.60
CYCLING: PORT ASKAIG - PORT CHARLOTTE (APPROX 15 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

16:30 18:00
ACCOMMODATION:
PORT CHARLOTTE YOUTH HOSTEL
COST:
£19.00 (PPPN)
TOTAL DAY COST (EXCLUDING FOOD): £22.20
TOTAL MILEAGE: APPROX 80 MILES

Day 3: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3840947
SUNDAY 17 AUGUST
CYCLING: PORT CHARLOTTE - PORT ELLEN (APPROX 20 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

08:00 09:30
FERRY: PORT ELLEN - KENNACRAIG (ARGYLL)
DEPART ARRIVE

09:45 11:55
CYCLING: KENNACRAIG - CLOANAIG (APPROX 6 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

12:00 13:00
FERRY: CLOANAIG - LOCHRANZA (ARRAN)
DEPART ARRIVE

13:50 14:20
CYCLING: LOCHRANZA - BRODICK (APPROX 15 MILES: HARD!)
DEPART ARRIVE

14:30 16:00
FERRY: BRODICK TO ARDROSSAN (MAINLAND)
DEPART ARRIVE

16:40 17:35
TOTAL MILEAGE: APPROX 41 MILES

I've deviated from the original plan as it meant it was not a round trip (for picking up cars, etc), accommodation would be in the Youth Hostel on Islay to keep costs down/it simple/avoid camping, and the middle day ride to Jura is optional so those who are into more "extreme" form of cycling (@ShooglyDougie !!) could always plan a different excursion. I've tried not to rely on the last ferry of the day where possible, and we will probably be limited to how many we could book in one party (though could always book separately or into a hotel if that's your thing).

I'll reiterate this is all just musing on my part and subject to change/abandonment at this stage, I would need to know that you would be responsible for all your own costs (and yourself), there will be little/nothing in the way of bike shops so running repairs might be necessary and agreement that if you are too hungover to cycle on Day 3 Top Gear rules apply - you get left!

Thoughts???

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Culicoides impunctatus is also my primary reason for not wanting to do a Hebridean camping tour between April-August. Gill and I walked a corner of the Kintyre Way either last year or the one before and the entire time we were putting up and tearing down the tent was primarily spent swatting, swearing, running away from the tent and spraying ourselves ineffectually with midge repellent.

September is also a bad idea, for different reasons.

I can't remember midgies being a problem on Arran, might be an issue on the Argyll part but I've minimised that by making it an out and back tour.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@Fubar - somebody has been very busy and done his homework :thumbsup:.
Thanks!

The middle day does indeed look tough, and could be even tougher if there is a 'decent' southwesterly breeze. But not being an A to B day means everybody could do their own thing if they want and either turn around earlier or pootle round the Islay beaches (or distilleries:rolleyes:)...
Personally I might be tempted to add another day if the weather was nice and there was space in the hostel... (still in the dreaming phase just now mind, no commitment;)).

T

Top Bottom