Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond Chat for CC Ecosse Islay Cycle Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That sounds braw, so could turn this into a 4-day trip - no showers though for the ladies (and @Louch), is that a problem for 1 night?
Graeme reckons that by summer he'll have shower, bathroom and kitchen facilities.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
See a tour not a race puts me off...Only joking me and the girfriend should be in Annecy at that time next year, i plan on destroying some of these wee easy french climbs

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Morning & a Happy New Year!:hello: Hope there aren't too many sore heads ...:tongue:
Just noticed the 7:00 departure from Ardrossan :eek:... First train from Glasgow Central doesn't arrive there until 9:20 on a Friday for the 9:45 ferry (current Scotrail timetable only goes to 3rd April)... Same info on Calmac summer timetable though, so probably right.

May have to travel ahead and spend and extra night on an island if I'm coming along :biggrin:, or 'race' you :rolleyes: with a later ferry.

T

There is a youth hostel in Lochranza which could be built into the first day, means we could take our time and go the long way round Arran. Def a 4-day trip then!

First of all @Fubar, thanks for doing the research into this. It's very comprehensive!

I have a couple of small issues:
Firstly, the Cowal/Bute section is absolutely stunning and removing it for the sake of people having to ride from Wemyss Bay to Ardrossan to pick up their cars is a shame. If people have had enough cycling they could cycle the 7 miles to Largs and get the train to Ardrossan.

Secondly, far be it for me to widdle in your weetabix, but that first Ardrossan/Brodick ferry is not even remotely practical for those who don't drive.

Other than that though... :bicycle:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
There is a youth hostel in Lochranza which could be built into the first day, means we could take our time and go the long way round Arran. Def a 4-day trip then!
That's what I was thinking when I said the 7:00 ferry was impossible on public transport ... Take the earliest feasible train & ferry and then leisurely :dance: winding our way round Arran towards Lochranza with @Pat "5mph", get a proper night's sleep (they even have twin rooms!), and join you lot well rested at Claonaig (edit: or even Lochranza).

T

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
First of all @Fubar, thanks for doing the research into this. It's very comprehensive!

I have a couple of small issues:
Firstly, the Cowal/Bute section is absolutely stunning and removing it for the sake of people having to ride from Wemyss Bay to Ardrossan to pick up their cars is a shame. If people have had enough cycling they could cycle the 7 miles to Largs and get the train to Ardrossan.

Secondly, far be it for me to widdle in your weetabix, but that first Ardrossan/Brodick ferry is not even remotely practical for those who don't drive.

Other than that though... :bicycle:

All fair points, though I did say it was just a work in progress and I think we have to be realistic to what (a) can be achieved in one weekend and (b) what is affordable and practical for the majority. My aim was always just to make it Islay, preferably by bike. I now realise the first ferry is impractical but I had to work backwards from arriving in Port Charlotte (the first plan had us arriving there about 10pm!) - and I have now starting looking into the possibility of staying on Arran for the first night (see previous post).

Anyway, though you weren't interested... ???

Top Bottom