Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond Chat for CC Ecosse Islay Cycle Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@Fubar - somebody has been very busy and done his homework :thumbsup:.
Thanks!

The middle day does indeed look tough, and could be even tougher if there is a 'decent' southwesterly breeze. But not being an A to B day means everybody could do their own thing if they want and either turn around earlier or pootle round the Islay beaches (or distilleries:rolleyes:)...
Personally I might be tempted to add another day if the weather was nice and there was space in the hostel... (still in the dreaming phase just now mind, no commitment;)).

T

Yes, the other options were to (a) add another day as you suggest - though would increase costs and time off required for most folk;
or (b) miss out the Jura part and just go round Islay, though it would be nice to tick it off and as you say is just an out and back - and we have all day!

Another thought was to move to another part of Islay for the second night, though the advantages of staying in the same youth hostel would be leaving stuff behind. I'll guage the responses and at some point will just have to decide and say "I'm doing this tour, on these dates, using this timetable - who's in?" otherwise I'll be trying to please everyone and end up pleasing no-one (especially myself!). Also, I've still to ask for permission from the Boss! :rose:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Nothing definite but just checking in to express a potential interest. I may be up for sharing a car if anyone else feels like travelling up from South of the Border :smile:

Noted, I suggest keeping an eye on this thread over the coming month while I decide the best plan. Cheers, Mark

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I quite like the sound of this.:becool:
August is good for me (early August being the best). Camping and keeping costs reasonable sound just great too. If it's a bit 'midgy' you wouldn't have to worry because they'd all make a bee-line for me and you'd be in the clear.
I've never been to that part of the world, so can't help with anything on that front.

Noted, keep an eye on this thread while we formulate a plan. Cheers, Mark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Yes, the other options were to (a) add another day as you suggest - though would increase costs and time off required for most folk;
or (b) miss out the Jura part and just go round Islay
[...]
Also, I've still to ask for permission from the Boss! :rose:

If I remember correctly, return tickets on the ferries are open returns, so adding on a day somewhere wouldn't cost extra (unless it's a group booking obviously). It would just be a case of securing an extra night's bed somewhere (assuming the weather plays nicely).

Best be extra nice to the Boss then and start collecting brownie points ...

T

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Ok after a bit of puzzling over timetables, distances, etc I think I've got a ride and timetable of-sorts, broken down into a 3-day tour:

Day 1: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3840852
FRIDAY 15 AUGUST
PARKING: ARDROSSAN HARBOUR
COST:
TBC
FERRY: ARDROSSAN - BRODICK (ARRAN)
DEPART ARRIVE

07:00 07:55
COST:
£11.35 (RETURN)
CYCLING: BRODICK - LOCHRANZA (APPROX 15 MILES: HARD!)
DEPART ARRIVE

08:15 10:15 (APPROX)
FERRY: LOCHRANZA - CLOANAIG (ARGYLL)
DEPART ARRIVE

10:45 11:15
COST:
£10.35 (RETURN)
CYCLING: CLOANAIG - KENNACRAIG (APPROX 6 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

11:30 12:30
FERRY: KENNACRAIG - PORT ASKAIG (ISLAY)
DEPART ARRIVE

13:00 14:55
COST:
£12.90 (RETURN)
CYCLING: PORT ASKAIG - PORT CHARLOTTE (APPROX 15 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

15:15 17:15
ACCOMMODATION:
PORT CHARLOTTE YOUTH HOSTEL
COST:
£19.00 (PPPN)
TOTAL DAY COST (EXCLUDING FOOD): £53.60
TOTAL MILEAGE: APPROX 36 MILES

Day 2: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3840856
SATURDAY 16 AUGUST
CYCLING: PORT CHARLOTTE - PORT ASKAIG (APPROX 15 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

09:00 10:15/11:00
FERRY: PORT ASKAIG - FEOLIN (JURA)
DEPART ARRIVE

10:30/11:15 10:35/11:20
COST:
£1.60
CYCLING: FEOLIN - AS FAR NORTH ON JURA AS WE CAN GO! (AND BACK AGAIN)
APPROX 50 MILES (POTENTIALLY HARD)
DEPART ARRIVE

11-11:30 15-16:00
FERRY: FEOLIN - PORT ASKAIG (ISLAY)
DEPART ARRIVE

15:30/16:20 15:30/16:25
COST:
£1.60
CYCLING: PORT ASKAIG - PORT CHARLOTTE (APPROX 15 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

16:30 18:00
ACCOMMODATION:
PORT CHARLOTTE YOUTH HOSTEL
COST:
£19.00 (PPPN)
TOTAL DAY COST (EXCLUDING FOOD): £22.20
TOTAL MILEAGE: APPROX 80 MILES

Day 3: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3840947
SUNDAY 17 AUGUST
CYCLING: PORT CHARLOTTE - PORT ELLEN (APPROX 20 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

08:00 09:30
FERRY: PORT ELLEN - KENNACRAIG (ARGYLL)
DEPART ARRIVE

09:45 11:55
CYCLING: KENNACRAIG - CLOANAIG (APPROX 6 MILES: MODERATE)
DEPART ARRIVE

12:00 13:00
FERRY: CLOANAIG - LOCHRANZA (ARRAN)
DEPART ARRIVE

13:50 14:20
CYCLING: LOCHRANZA - BRODICK (APPROX 15 MILES: HARD!)
DEPART ARRIVE

14:30 16:00
FERRY: BRODICK TO ARDROSSAN (MAINLAND)
DEPART ARRIVE

16:40 17:35
TOTAL MILEAGE: APPROX 41 MILES

I've deviated from the original plan as it meant it was not a round trip (for picking up cars, etc), accommodation would be in the Youth Hostel on Islay to keep costs down/it simple/avoid camping, and the middle day ride to Jura is optional so those who are into more "extreme" form of cycling (@ShooglyDougie !!) could always plan a different excursion. I've tried not to rely on the last ferry of the day where possible, and we will probably be limited to how many we could book in one party (though could always book separately or into a hotel if that's your thing).

I'll reiterate this is all just musing on my part and subject to change/abandonment at this stage, I would need to know that you would be responsible for all your own costs (and yourself), there will be little/nothing in the way of bike shops so running repairs might be necessary and agreement that if you are too hungover to cycle on Day 3 Top Gear rules apply - you get left!

Thoughts???
Wow, good work! I'm not sure those dates will work for me, but it looks like a great trip.
Nothing definite but just checking in to express a potential interest. I may be up for sharing a car if anyone else feels like travelling up from South of the Border :smile:
If I'm available and it comes to fruition then I'm sure us 'southerners' could come to an arrangement!

My mate on Jura has just sent me this ....

"Hi Alastair. I have a back barn which should be ready by then. If nothing else, it will have a log fire, cooking and somewhere to sleep. Hoping to have it ready by Easter. You are welcome to make use of the facilities if you give me some dates. I'm planning to use it as a holiday let in the future (initially family and friends only). You will need more than a day on Jura!"

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
hes about to make a lot more friends :smile:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Great that Jura is looking promising for an overnight stay :wahhey:.
I had heard rumours that the locals were having lots of plans for small businesses, especially with the direct foot & bikes only ferry to/from Tayvallich.

If I'm coming along, I'd definitely need another day on Islay then, might stay behind if the rest of you are in a hurry to get back to the mainland :tongue: and the weather is nice ...

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Morning & a Happy New Year!:hello: Hope there aren't too many sore heads ...:tongue:
Just noticed the 7:00 departure from Ardrossan :eek:... First train from Glasgow Central doesn't arrive there until 9:20 on a Friday for the 9:45 ferry (current Scotrail timetable only goes to 3rd April)... Same info on Calmac summer timetable though, so probably right.

May have to travel ahead and spend and extra night on an island if I'm coming along :biggrin:, or 'race' you :rolleyes: with a later ferry.

T

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
My mate on Jura has just sent me this ....

"Hi Alastair. I have a back barn which should be ready by then. If nothing else, it will have a log fire, cooking and somewhere to sleep. Hoping to have it ready by Easter. You are welcome to make use of the facilities if you give me some dates. I'm planning to use it as a holiday let in the future (initially family and friends only). You will need more than a day on Jura!"

That sounds braw, so could turn this into a 4-day trip - no showers though for the ladies (and @Louch), is that a problem for 1 night?

Top Bottom