Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond Chat for CC Ecosse Islay Cycle Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Ok, based on the possibility of accommodation on Jura I have adjusted the plan to a 4-day tour as follows:

Day 1 - Ardrossan to Lochranza http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3867865 (planned accommodation in Lochranza YHA)
Day 2 - Lochranza to Port Charlotte http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3867895 (planned accommodation in Port Charlotte YHA)
Day 3 - Port Charlotte to Jura http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3867907 (route on Jura may be different, planned accommodation in @GlasgowFinn's mate's "lodge")
Day 4 - Jura - Islay - Argyll - Arran - Ardrossan http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3867919 heading home, might be a bit of a long day with 4 ferry trips involved!

I haven't worked out the ferry times etc yet, though off the top of my head I can see Day 4 being a possible issue getting all the timings right (especially if it's a Sunday!).

What do those who have expressed an interest think, is this do-able? Of course we could cut out one of the islands to make it easier but that seems to defeat the purpose and would be a shame, though there are options for folk to "do their own thing" on one of they days if they wish.

Obviously it just a work in progress, not set in stone, gie's a break if I've missed something out, etc etc etc....

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks for the update @Fubar! :thumbsup:
A quick look at the fery timetables shows the 1st Sunday departure from Feolin to Port Askaig at 8:40 arr. 8:45, which makes it impossible for most mere mortals to get to Port Ellen in good time to board the 9:45 ferry, given that we would need to board via the car deck which closes 30 min before departure...
On a weekday, the 1st departure from Jura Is at 7:45, which could work with the 9:45 ferry from Port Ellen, barring mechanicals :rolleyes:. Depending on the location of @GlasgowFinn's mate's barn, this might need quite an early departure, but do-able?
So from a logistical point of view, we could either make it Fri-Mon or leave Jura for another time ...

I'm really enjoying dreaming about the islands in the meantime:wub: and also pondering a short Borders weekend (just 1 night), but won't say any more on this thread :secret::biggrin:.

T

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Thanks for the update @Fubar! :thumbsup:
A quick look at the fery timetables shows the 1st Sunday departure from Feolin to Port Askaig at 8:40 arr. 8:45, which makes it impossible for most mere mortals to get to Port Ellen in good time to board the 9:45 ferry, given that we would need to board via the car deck which closes 30 min before departure...
On a weekday, the 1st departure from Jura Is at 7:45, which could work with the 9:45 ferry from Port Ellen, barring mechanicals :rolleyes:. Depending on the location of @GlasgowFinn's mate's barn, this might need quite an early departure, but do-able?
So from a logistical point of view, we could either make it Fri-Mon or leave Jura for another time ...

I'm really enjoying dreaming about the islands in the meantime:wub: and also pondering a short Borders weekend (just 1 night), but won't say any more on this thread :secret::biggrin:.

T

Fri-Mon is pretty much what I was thinking, then we are not reliant on a Sunday ferry service on Day 4 (considering there are 4 ferry trips involved!) - so for those of us who don't work weekends it would still be 2 days off, might not work in so well for those with different working patterns though. As my original plan (and main aim) was/is still Islay I'm unsure about the Jura leg but it would be great to do it while over there and it seems as if everyone is still keen to keep it in??

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Considering probable cat sitters among my pals :whistle:
Seriously, I'm in.
It's enough notice to take time off work.
Only problem: will I stand the pace??? A training regime needs to be followed strictly here ... :bicycle:
Thanks for taking the trouble to organize this @Fubar looks like the cycling trip of the year :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
On the basis that I have 12 (including me!) who have expressed an interest I've send an email to SYHA reservations with a tentative enquiry for availability, costs, booking process, etc for the weekend 15-18 August - will let you know how/what they respond!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
On the basis that I have 12 (including me!) who have expressed an interest I've send an email to SYHA reservations with a tentative enquiry for availability, costs, booking process, etc for the weekend 15-18 August - will let you know how/what they respond!
I will put the dates in my calender as "not available to work", zero hour contracts do have advantages :thumbsup:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
12! That's a serious amount of interest :eek::smile:.
Who do we have so far?

@Fubar
@Pat "5mph"
@Edwardoka
@GlasgowFinn
@Louch
@Col5632
@ShooglyDougie
@Scoosh
@Harry_Palmer79
@mcshroom
@MikeW-71