Le Tour de Scammonden - a lumpy little forum ride from Hebden Bridge. *** Saturday, Oct 21st, 2023? ***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
***** ColinJ's forum rider tag list *****
Fellow forum riders, I am planning yet another ride!

@colly, @neil_merseyside, @Sea of vapours, @Domus, @Julia9054, @Spiderweb, @Slioch, @EasyPeez, @Kestevan, @Venod, @Soltydog, @NorthernDave, @Buck, @si_c, @videoman, @FrothNinja, @GuyBoden, @Vantage, @Dadam

If anybody wants their name to be added to the list, let me know. :smile:

(If anybody wants their name to be removed, let me know, but... :cry:)

NB Make sure that you have enabled tag alerts in your account preferences - HERE (tick 'mentions you in a message')

(Yes, I know some are already signed up for this ride, or can't make it, but I copy and paste the list from one ride to the next so I don't want to edit it.)

I'm organising lots of forum rides this year to help try to re-motivate me. (I lost my cycling mojo during the pandemic, and it hasn't fully returned yet!) So, here's another one...

I did my annual Cheshire ride with @GuyBoden yesterday and he said that he'd like to do a hilly ride over here, but much shorter than yesterday's flattish 100 km effort. I have devised a route which starts and finishes in Hebden Bridge. It is 54 km (33.5 miles) in length and has roughly 1,100 m (3,600 ft) of ascent, including some very testing steep sections so bring low gears and/or an electric motor on your bike, and/or fit legs/heart/lungs on you! There will be an easy warm up to Mytholmroyd, where the lumpiness starts. There will then be 40 km (25 miles) of tough Pennine hills, followed by a cafe stop at Craggies above Cragg Vale. There is a very easy downhill/flat run back to Hebden Bridge from there.

We will be doing a circuit round Scammonden reservoir, having got to it under the M62. We will see what the lower valley is still like, with scenic lanes and little villages, and then what it looks like higher up with a motorway, dam, and reservoir plonked in there! :laugh:

I have to squeeze this ride in between my other ones, family visits etc. The provisional date is Saturday, July 22nd, 2023, subject to acceptable weather conditions on the day. Apologies if rail strikes affect that Saturday and that prevents your participation!

Route map (loop to be ridden clockwise)
Tour d Scammonden route.png

Route profile
Tour de Scammonden profile.png

As you can see - there are some challenging climbs in the first half of the ride and some significant lumps after that. The red spot marks the cafe stop, and then there is the luxuriously easy ride back to Hebden Bridge!

We could have cycled to Sowerby Bridge along the Rochdale canal towpath & Calder Valley cycleway but the chosen hilly route from Mytholmroyd is more interesting.

The climb from Bridge Street in Sowerby Bridge is one that I haven't ridden before but it looks very tough on Street View!

I haven't been up to Norland Moor for more than a decade so that will make a change for me.

I was going to take us up to Stainland on Beestonley Lane but cycle.travel suggested cutting across at Bottomley. It is not shown as a public road on the OS map, and that is because it is NOT one - it goes to a few houses and a waste recycling centre, but the latest Street View pictures show signs at both ends saying that it IS open to walkers and cyclists, just BEWARE OF HGVS going to and from the recycling plant.

I have never cycled the lanes from Stainland up under the M62 to Camp Hill by Scammonden Water. I have wanted to for some time because they look lovely on Street View.

The nasty climb that @Pale Rider mentioned is probably the one at Deanhead up from the reservoir to the B6114. Yes, that is another toughie!

We whizz down that B-road to cross the bridge over the M62. (Stop to take dramatic photos there if you want to.) If you choose to keep your speed up to climb the little ramp on the far side, heed this warning... BEWARE OF GUSTING CROSSWINDS!!! The bridge is extremely exposed so if the weather were anything near as windy on the ride as it has been the past couple of days, you would be risking a high-speed collision with the kerb and fencing... Take a look at this picture - YOU DO NOT WANT TO CRASH THERE!

M62 bridge.jpg

We will head round under the dam holding back Booth Wood Reservoir. It can look very spectacular when the reservoir is full because the water cascades down like this... (Another photo opportunity there for us?)

Booth Wood reservoir spillway #3.jpg

We climb up to the A672 but only have to ride about half a km up that before turning off onto more scenic undulating lanes which eventually take us to our cafe stop at Craggies.

No climbing after that, with full stomachs... Downhill, then flat!

If you are interested, post below.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Tour_de_Scammonden.gpx
    97.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
I will be out @ColinJ .
We have rellies over from Australia so too much going on the get away.:sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Cool, count me in!
Great!

...will the cafe be open? :whistle:
Ha ha! (For those who don't get it - Craggies cafe was shut when we went up there on my offroad forum ride!)

The cafe shuts at 15:30 on Saturdays so if we set off at 10:00 from Hebden Bridge we could take 4.5 hours to do just over 40 kms and still get there an hour before closing. Unless disaster struck, there is no way that we would be that slow!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Eek - I suspect I know at least one of the climbs.

It was touch and go towards the top, even on my ebike.

Of course, Carrie beat me, not that I had any puff left to give her a deserved 'well done'.

Even she was weaving towards the summit.

One thing for other ebikers to bear in mind is they can be the worst of both worlds.

Conking out can leave the rider with a very heavy bike to push up a steep gradient.

Depends on the equipment, my twin battery Bosch bike is a bit of an anvil.

One of the light assist roadie ebikes would be much easier to push if necessary.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm a definite for this ride.

I'll be slow, but steady getting up hills....

Big thanks for organising this ride @ColinJ :okay:

Dadam

Eek - I suspect I know at least one of the climbs.

It was touch and go towards the top, even on my ebike.

Of course, Carrie beat me, not that I had any puff left to give her a deserved 'well done'.

Even she was weaving towards the summit.

One thing for other ebikers to bear in mind is they can be the worst of both worlds.

Conking out can leave the rider with a very heavy bike to push up a steep gradient.

Depends on the equipment, my twin battery Bosch bike is a bit of an anvil.

One of the light assist roadie ebikes would be much easier to push if necessary.

The bike I'll be using is the lighter roadie type (Orbea Gain). I don't know the roads round there but Col's last Hebden Bridge ride had a couple of evil climbs that I barely managed even with full assist and was cream crackered at the top. The geared hub motor gives optimum shove around 12mph and ideally you need to keep it above 6 mph on the steep stuff so you need enough gearing to keep spinning. It has a 34/32 bottom gear and I found on the worst hills I couldn't quite keep it going in the sweet spot for very long.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The bike I'll be using is the lighter roadie type (Orbea Gain). I don't know the roads round there but Col's last Hebden Bridge ride had a couple of evil climbs that I barely managed even with full assist and was cream crackered at the top. The geared hub motor gives optimum shove around 12mph and ideally you need to keep it above 6 mph on the steep stuff so you need enough gearing to keep spinning. It has a 34/32 bottom gear and I found on the worst hills I couldn't quite keep it going in the sweet spot for very long.
There are a couple like that on this route too! :eek:

I'll try to get up them using my 28/30 bottom gear but may have to do some walking again this time... :whistle:

STREET VIEW of evil Sowerby Bridge climb (Bridge St, Scar Head Rd, Sowerby Croft Ln, Harper Royd Ln, Hob Ln).

STREET VIEW of evil Deanhead climb to B6114.

Lots of detail has now been added to the first post in the thread.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm sure that it wasn't quite this difficult to find dates that people were free on 10 years ago! Everybody seems to be busier than they used to be... :wacko:

(Mind you, there was one forum ride years ago that only one person signed up for. They phoned me just before I set off to say that they couldn't make it so I rode it Colin-no-mates! :cry:)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Good stuff, you seem to have the job well worked out.

They phoned me just before I set off to say that they couldn't make it so I rode it Colin-no-mates! :cry:)

To be fair to yourself, Colin, we ought to mention your 'back from the dead' ride of a few years ago.

I can't remember how many turned out, but I do recall it was a lot.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

To be fair to yourself, Colin, we ought to mention your 'back from the dead' ride of a few years ago.

I can't remember how many turned out, but I do recall it was a lot.
Yes, that was well at the other end of the spectrum... I don't think that we did a headcount but it must have been close to 50!

(For those of you who weren't around on CycleChat at the time - I had been extremely ill and was off my bike for over 8 months. When I finally got back on the bike I had to build myself back up from the lowest of low fitness levels - my first rides were slow, flat and only about 1 km in length! The following year it was time to start the forum rides again and I got a massive show of support - lonnnnnng ride thread HERE.)

Top Bottom