Le Tour de Scammonden - a lumpy little forum ride from Hebden Bridge. *** Saturday, Oct 21st, 2023? ***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Barring...lack of money, train strikes, train cancellations, bike faults, vantage faults, crap weather of any kind, nuclear holocaust, war, rebellion, eruptions, earthquakes, floods, landslides, death and anything else that might scupper my plans, I'll be there.
Another issue that is very serious is an increasing lack of enthusiasm to ride these days. Dunno what the hells wrong with me...
However, all being well, I will try to be there for this one Colin.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's a 'Like' for trying to join us, NOT for...

... lack of money, train strikes, train cancellations, bike faults, vantage faults, crap weather of any kind, nuclear holocaust, war, rebellion, eruptions, earthquakes, floods, landslides, death and anything else that might scupper my plans, I'll be there.
Another issue that is very serious is an increasing lack of enthusiasm to ride these days. Dunno what the hells wrong with me...
Good luck!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't think that we did a headcount but it must have been close to 50!

If I recall, about 70 was mentioned at the time.

Either way, it's a CC forum ride participation record which I cannot see being broken.

Interest in these rides seems to have declined post-Covid, which is a pity because any ride planned by Colin is a very good one.

On t'other hand, I've found a number in single figures works best on the road.

Anything more makes keeping everyone together difficult, and a cafe stop all but impossible.

My unwanted record is leading a ride of three in which we managed to lose one rider, albeit temporarily.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm doing a bit of hill training on my steepest local hills, so hopefully I'll be slightly less slower on the le-tour-de-scammonden hills. Only food allowed on my route is diet Cola, 35.9km there and 35.9km back. Hopefully, I will do at least two rides a week before le-tour-de-scammonden.

First ride done today, another ride Thursday.

I found it very easy, so, I compared the elevations between the two routes. :laugh:
tour-de-scammonden-profile-png.png

Utkinton Elevation.png

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43534566

Last edited:

Dadam

My mate Jason is a possible too. Last time he was 50/50 at best but he sounds more keen this time.

GuyBoden

Guru
I just reread your post... Did you turn round and do the same route back? If so, then it is this...

View attachment 697524

I've extended my slightly hilly West Cheshire training route, the first route was getting a bit too easy after a few rides. The new route is very nearly 100km. I rode it today testing my newly installed Garmin Battery. Bellemonte Road is 11.2% max and Chapel Lane 10.7% max, according to Ride GPS, that's steep for this part of Cheshire. I caught up to an electric road bike rider on the way up Brine's Brew, it was nice to see a worst climber than me.:laugh:

Cheshire West Hilly.png

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43640201

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I called off today's ride from Harrogate because of bad weather. Hopefully we will have more luck with this one!

I'll do a headcount...
That's a reasonable turnout if you can all make it, but more riders would be welcome to join us.

I'll take a photo of the riders on the bridge over the M62 - it should be possible to get a spectacular shot from there. We can also stop at Booth Wood for a picture with the waterfall over the dam in the background.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I called off today's ride from Harrogate because of bad weather. Hopefully we will have more luck with this one!

I'll do a headcount...
That's a reasonable turnout if you can all make it, but more riders would be welcome to join us.

I'll take a photo of the riders on the bridge over the M62 - it should be possible to get a spectacular shot from there. We can also stop at Booth Wood for a picture with the waterfall over the dam in the background.

Sorry, working until mid arvo 😢

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm currently still at 'thunderbirds are go' stage. The ebike display frazzled last week after I washed the bike but that's now been replaced. That should be my monthly fault done.
Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It is telling fibs! :okay:

There are several stretches where the gradient is 15-20%... Some of those are not very long but there are definitely at least 3 pretty testing climbs as well as lots of the 10% stuff.

Wait until Saturday evening and tell us how Yorkshire 10%-ers somehow seem much steeper than Cheshire 10%-ers... :whistle:

Top Bottom