Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond Chat for CC Ecosse Islay Cycle Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Let's hope the unavoidable wind is warm, so our clothes can dry overnight :laugh:
Never ever done any touring or similar before, with or without bike: it will be an adventure for sure :hyper:

MikeW-71

Veteran
What's in your minimum list?
In the rack bag:
2nd pair of cycle shorts
2nd Jersey
Spare pair of socks
Spare pair of mitts
2x pairs of underpants for evenings and sleeping in (might get away with 1 pair)
1x normal shorts for evenings
1x T shirt for evenings
Waterproof jacket (folds to nearly nothing)
Overshoes
Then there will be a travel toothpaste and small toothbrush. Shaver is heavy, so I'll just grow a beard for 4 days :laugh:
Oh, and some snack food and sunscreen

Bar bag:
Phone
Camera
Wallet
charger + cables (maybe)
2 tubes, multitool, chain links, patches
Maps
First Aid kit.

Should be enough :smile:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Bought the luggage. Halfords do pretty well for rack and bar bags at not-too-much money :smile:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I've posted details of the ride now in a seperate thread, can everyone who expressed an interest here go there and confirm or withdraw their interest within the next 7 days. @Scoosh can we keep this open as a "chatting" thread? Happy for you to change the title if that helps.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
No need for a rack and panniers if you are efficient (or have a suitably relaxed approach to personal hygiene...).

I've done several three-day tours with youth hostel accommodation using only a 5L bar bag and very well stuffed jersey and jacket pockets.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I need to pick up a rack too... more cycle-kit shopping, I'm not sure what I spent my money on before (not that I'm complaining mind!) ^_^
These are what I have:

Rack - Rack bag - Bar bag

According to the manual my Defy 2 will only carry 1.5kg of luggage. That can't be right as the rack and bag come to that weight, waste of time having the rack mounts there at all if it was that low a limit.

I reckon it's a typo and they mean 15kg. For safety, I'll be going for less than 10kg on the rack. The bar bag above is 6 litres capacity but has a weight limit of 3kg. Should be well under that too.

I'll test it out before the trip. I'll let you know if the seatstays snap :laugh:

Top Bottom