Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Dunno, waiting on next hospital appointment...last time docs talking nerve damage.

Not gonna like that - take it easy pal and as @Pat "5mph" says... :hugs:(manly ones, obviously).

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Ok so tour is now CLOSED for notes of interest - we have 11 definites (me, Junior Fu, @Edwardoka @Harry_Palmer79 @mcshroom @Pat "5mph" @DougieAB @Somebuddy @flyingfifi @KatyO and @mikeee)

And 6 possibles: @edindave @heather68 @Telemark @Brandane @Scoosh and @MikeW-71

At some point this week I'm going to start phoning possible accommodation options - first night especially is looking tricky (some places are stating 2 nights minimum booking at a weekend in August) so I'll see what I can get on the basis of 11 people and if those on the possibles list can let me know their intentions as soon as possible that would be great - I'll feedback here once I have phoned some places.

Cheers, Mark

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My In-Laws have a caravan at the Faskally site in Pitlochry, which I might use, so I'm more of a 'Possibly Not' for the accommodation in Pitlochry. :okay:

Time off work booked t'other day (plus at least an extra day for recovery!) :hyper:

Looking forward to plenty :bicycle:, some :hungry:, possibly a little :birthday: (cake more than the birthday thing, though mine is a few days after we return), hopefully not too much :rain:or :cold: (August in Scotland, surely not!) Oh, and there may be the distinct possibility of the odd :cheers: (though not too many obviously for highly tuned athletes such as us!) ;)

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
My In-Laws have a caravan at the Faskally site in Pitlochry, which I might use, so I'm more of a 'Possibly Not' for the accommodation in Pitlochry. :okay:

If we follow the plan alternative plan (detailed below) of dividing the ride into 3 days and getting to Inverness on the Sunday, it's unlikely we will be stopping in Pitlochry as we will need to cover around 60-70 miles per day - all depends on accommodation availability though.

It occurred to me that if it is a 4-day cycling tour to get to Inverness based on the original plan we will be cycling on all 4 days so would either be staying overnight in Inverness on the Monday or getting to Inverness then getting the train home - if staying overnight it will be a Friday-Tuesday tour, extra days' leave required for most;
OR
We divide the 200mile ride into 3 days, getting to Inverness Sunday night. I appreciate there will be mixed abilities but we are still only talking approx 67 miles per day, just over 100k (may have to be slightly longer depending on accommodation stops).

Thoughts?

I wonder if this isn't totally clear, in which case I may start a new thread with a new plan later in the week - maybe that some of the detail has been lost in the fog! Cheers, Mark

Ok so tour is now CLOSED for notes of interest
:notworthy:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Edinburgh - Pitlochry is quite doable in a day, anyway ... easy after Perth :okay:

Yeahbut, on @Edwardoka's plan Pitlochry is at mile 105 from Glasgow - which I think would be unrealistic to expect for some - if it's p1shin' it doon I wouldn't fancy the prospect of 105 miles on a loaded tourer!

Let me see what I can do in terms of accomm, you could always head for Pitlochry and we could meet you on our way through....

Yeahbut, on @Edwardoka's plan Pitlochry is at mile 105 from Glasgow - which I think would be unrealistic to expect for some - if it's p1shin' it doon I wouldn't fancy the prospect of 105 miles on a loaded tourer!
I can't vouch for the route from the centre/east to Pitlochry, the route we took on the HPC was pretty circuitous, going the long way round to the west o'er hill and dale before descending into Aberfeldy - at which point the two routes converge. The more direct route - from Dunkeld to Pitlochry - runs parallel to the A9 and I've heard that it's a pretty terrible route but that's third hand information.

Like I've said elsewhere, I'm considering tacking a tour de nord on at the end. Possibly a tour de sud at the start too. :hello:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
roll on august we can all go camping under the stars :girldance:
When i done the Etape a couple of years ago we stayed on a campsite just outside Pitlochry, i went for a pee during the middle of the night and it was a clear night and i've never seen the night sky looking so alive, every star was so bright and there was so many stars...it was stunning

Top Bottom