CC Ecosse RV Rides ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
How often do we want to do these ?

Rather than start a poll, it might be an idea to get a sense of what everyone is thinking.

RV Rides are :
- a simple way of encouraging ourselves out for a ride
- generally for the shorter winter months - Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb
- at locations not too far from most potential attendees ...
- ... therefore more localised
- very successful thus far

To date, they have all been East-coast-centred, mainly because east coast folk have organised them :biggrin:.

I see no reason why anyone can't start a thread giving a Date, Place and Time for an RV Ride ... then see who turns up !

If people want company/encouragement/an excuse to get out ("it's an organised CC ride, Dear" :sad:) any particular day, start a thread and go for it ! Therefore, we could have RV Rides in/around Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, Perthshire, Caithness etc etc - and all on the same day ! Choose a place, cycle to it, have a cake and a chat and ride off into the sunset :biggrin: ... with suitable lights on, of course :hugs:.

What do you say, CC Ecossers ??

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
They don't have to East-coast-centred, there was one which was vaguely in the middle, meeting near Linlithgow. Now who was it organised that one?

Coco

I'm currently looking at one based at Kilmacolm. Lots of ways to get there. I still need to er, research a cafe. What sort of distances do people want to ride?

gavintc

Guru
Last week was my first RV ride. It works well, at least it does for me. Nominate a cafe and we decide how to get there, taking a 10 mile or a 100 mile route. Spend an hour drinking coffee, eating a cake, chat, and then back on the bike for the return journey. Suited me, as I need to force myself to get some faster distance miles into my legs.

Seamab

At the moment i'd say it would good to have these runs most weekends depending on the weather. Like most i couldn't make every weekend and often Sundays would suit better than Saturday.

Maybe we need a list of cafe's known for their hospitality to cyclists and good cakes?

As Scoosh says we don't need to be too organised - whoever turns up turns up. No problem having more than one to choose from.

I'd agree with Gavin that the appeal is that you decide on the pace/distance you wish to go and have the bonus of a pit stop/coffee/chat to cajole you outside.

This weekend Sunday would suit me best but the weather looks like it may be icy.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Seamab said:
At the moment i'd say it would good to have these runs most weekends depending on the weather. Like most i couldn't make every weekend and often Sundays would suit better than Saturday.

Maybe we need a list of cafe's known for their hospitality to cyclists and good cakes? I've seen a thread on this very subject on a cycling forum somewhere ... I'll see if I can find it and link.

As Scoosh says we don't need to be too organised - whoever turns up turns up. No problem having more than one to choose from. +1 ... or 2 ... or 3 :biggrin:

I'd agree with Gavin that the appeal is that you decide on the pace/distance you wish to go and have the bonus of a pit stop/coffee/chat to cajole you outside.... and after getting warm fed and nice and comfy in the cafe ... there's only one way to get home ;)

This weekend Sunday would suit me best but the weather looks like it may be icy.
Ah good, some ice just for a change ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I do believe the council uses things called gritters which clear the ice from the roads, on minor roads you just need to take a wee bit of care. Unless to are too old and doddery... :biggrin:

scook94

Veteran
I can see the benefit of RV rides in this weather, but to be honest I much prefer the forum rides. As for the RVs, I can ride on my own any time.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HJ said:
I do believe the council uses things called gritters which clear the ice from the roads, on minor roads you just need to take a wee bit of care. Unless to are too old and doddery... :smile:
Trouble is, the nicest roads for cycling (even in winter :smile:) are the minor ones.

And I don't like falling off. :angry:

Been there, done that .... not good.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Touche said:
Didn't I see you having a mince pie before Christmas?
Ah ..... yes .... but he did mention RV RIDE :angry:

[not everyone who scoffed mince pies AND stollen had "qualified" by riding there :smile: ..... some of us, however, felt much more righteous :smile:.]

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scook94 said:
I can see the benefit of RV rides in this weather, but to be honest I much prefer the forum rides. As for the RVs, I can ride on my own any time.
Indeed but you miss out on the knowledge, the stimulating conversation, the clothing/lighting/cake comparisons and the rest of the banter :laugh:.

Still, if you are happy being on your own throughout the winter months ..... with no CC companionship (apart from that [strange] guy who keeps trying to make you go up 50 mile vertical cliffs every Saturday am :laugh:), then roll on the full Forum Rides :sun: :smile: :sad: :smile: :bicycle::angry:

Stephen-D

what soprt of times are people thinking about rides? i know it gets dark around 4:30 - 5pm now so would a ride be a very early sort of time? like 8 - 9am? or more 12pm ish? depends how far away it is for me but if a date is arranged i will try get some time off work, during the week is best time for me to go cycling, tuesday and wednesday afternoon (went for a 40 mile ride today) as i dont need time off but can see what i can do.

Seamab

scook94 said:

It's not compulsory to ride alone on an RV. You should (hopefully) be able to hook up with someone else coming from a similar direction for all or part of the route. Or take the car to a start point where others are leaving from.

Top Bottom