CC Relay LeJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Do any other CC'ers want to resurrect this idea for the summer?

Route: TBC
GPS: TBC
Legs: TBC

biggrin.gif

It depends what it is pitched as.

As a record attempt, no thanks!

As a CC collaboration, OK.

I think there are routes put together for bits of it, I think I put up some starting suggestions for the bit around here (Edinburgh).

Not all of us have or want GPS. Nowt wrong with paper.

Most of us have 2 legs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about the longest LEJOG/JOGLE relay ever, taking in every county in mainland UK? That would be a bit different! 

It's something I thought about doing one day (though I don't really fancy the London area much).

ColinJ

(Not wishing to jump the gun here, these are just some of my ideas; make of them what you will...) 

I reckon if the decision was made to do an all-counties relay route then we might as well go the whole hog and choose the most scenic and challenging route possible, rather than the usual shortest and quickest, don't you think? Why waste the opportunity to visit the best that the country has to offer?

My vote would be to avoid busy A-roads wherever possible, even if that means meandering over some very hilly lanes and adding many miles to the total distance.

There should be no rides where we just cross a county border to say we've been there and then immediately leave again. Let someone with local knowledge choose an interesting route across or round each county. Okay, Rutland might not take long... ;)

Getting all the northern Scottish counties in might be difficult since CC members are a bit thin on the ground up there!

It would be easier to stick to the mainland, but should we try and take in Northern Ireland, (the Isle of Man - not officially a British county) and the big Scottish islands too? It would seem a shame not to go to places like Mull and Skye.

It would be good if each leg was an official CycleChat forum ride with at least 2 members taking part per leg. The only problem there might be getting enough riders for the Mon-Fri rides, assuming that the relay was to be completed on consecutive days rather than being broken up into weekend chunks.

Oh, and I think the counties should be the traditional counties rather than the administrative counties we now refer to - we could work to this map. (I think that Yorkshire is too big though, so we should be riding the traditional 'Ridings' - North, West and East.)

So, there would be at least 86 counties, and more places if we split Yorkshire into the 3 Ridings and visit islands as well. I reckon it could take a couple of months to complete the relay at 50-100 miles a day. 

It would be a really big job to plan a relay ride like this so that a scenic ride across one county takes us to the right place to do the scenic ride across the next one. We'd need cafes and shops in all the right places, and people planning on doing several consecutive days would need somewhere to stay.

If we decide to do this, we could draw up a list of counties and have a vote on which iconic places we really must ride to/round/over in each one. For example, Dartmoor in Devon, Exmoor in Somerset, Holme Moss in the West Riding of Yorkshire, Ditchling Beacon in Sussex, Bealach na Bà in Ross and Cromarty.

I think that this would be so much more interesting than your typical JOGLE/LEJOG (not that I'm knocking them).

I wouldn't have thought that any of us would have the legs, time or money to do every stage of the relay, but it would be good to tackle a choice selection.

Well, what do you think?    :tongue:

ColinJ

[QUOTE 1263134"]
I think it'll never happen.

When we tried to organise this before it was hopeless.  Bickering, falling out, flouncing off (Peanut hasn't been since) disagreements about the routes, who should co-ordinate which leg, what exactly is an A road :ohmy:    Trust me, someone will be along in a minute disagreeing with Rutland/Avon even being counties.  Then the whole London thing and Isle of Wight thing will start off... :wacko:
[/quote]
Ah, I didn't take much notice of that at the time!

Yes, I do think that it would be a logistical nightmare to organise.

My dream was to do the all-counties tour and write a book about it but I can't see me ever being able to afford to do it in one go. Perhaps I'll eventually do it a week at a time over a period of a couple of years. That would be doable, but nowhere near as exciting.

I'm amazed to hear that the jersey relays aren't finished. Surely somebody must know where they are?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
[QUOTE 1263134"]
The shirt relay was meant to take 6 weeks, they are both lost somewhere after 3 bloody years :sad:
[/quote]

The northern jersey isn't lost, it's in my flat waiting for the snow to clear before I nag someone to take it off me.

I also think this is getting too complex to be completed. I think we would have a better chance if we did a more set route like a complete navigation of the coast of Great Britain or a standard E2E route of some description. Without the obvious route then the arguments are more likely to start.

YACF have just started a baton rolling around the UK on a sort of LEJOG - I think that's a bit ambitious as well (even though I've volunteered to carry it anywhere near me whenever it gets that far north.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1263134"]
I think it'll never happen.[/quote]
I think you are right.;)

Relays just don't work if the participants are in full time employment, CCers are spaced too thinly around the country. There was much debate about this before, and it all just ended in tears. Regarding the CC jersey relay I had hoped I might see the jersey in the summer of 2008, but it still hasn't come my way.:whistle:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think the counties thing is a great idea though, but to pull it off someone would have to take charge and basically tell everyone else what to do.

ColinJ

I think the counties thing is a great idea though, but to pull it off someone would have to take charge and basically tell everyone else what to do.
A benevolent dictator is what we need!

If I ever get round to doing it, I'll post the route details here on CycleChat and people would be welcome to join me for as many legs as they like. Don't hold your breath though... ;)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A benevolent dictator is what we need!
you called?

Lands End - Portsmouth - London - Ipswich - Peterborough - Sheffield - Hull - Newcastle and then it's up to somebody else. I'm happy to plan the route from (say) Bridport to Sheffield (with a bit of help from my friends). I've a feeling that the London bit might be nocturnal.

I reckon that it's a ten day to two week trip. I'd suggest 18th June to 2nd July.

Top Bottom