Cecil The Lion RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Man Kills Animal For Sport Shocker.

In other shocking news, Sun Rises In Morning.

I completely disagree with the response to mybike. When faced with hyperventilating reactions to mundane news, "what about" is he correct response. What about killing foetuses, cattle, assisted dying etc. all the other killing related events that are far more important than a hunter killing an animal.

Cyclist33

This must be some sort of Godwin's Law. It could shut down any conversation.

Okay then, let's take a serious subject, mix in another serious subject, then you can make light of both with poor quality irony and a Halfords gag thrown in, and then press "ignore" rather than engage with a proper discussion?

Cyclist33

[QUOTE 3827634, member: 43827"]I find myself saddened more than outraged by this.

I eat meat and must therefore condone killing animals for my food, indeed I would be prepared to kill animals for food myself if there were any suitable roaming the streets of Cardiff (no comments please) and Lidls was not so convenient for me.

What saddens me is that a person who is otherwise so successful in life is happy to kill an animal just for pleasure and status within his peer group, especially when the odds are so much in his favour. A bit like our royal family I suppose. The fact that the lion had a human name is irrelevant.

He and his like would probably find it as impossible to understand my point of view as I do theirs.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. The difference would be which of you would *try* harder than the other to understand each other's perspective, or would you both simply go "he's in the wrong and I don't have to think about why I say so"?

Cyclist33

Good point.
Adding to that - if I kept chickens and then had one for Sunday lunch, I would ensure it had a good life and that its end was swift and as humane as possible. I would not revel in the killing, certainly I would not enjoy it.
I certainly would not stand there over the pathetic corpse with my bow and arrow in hand and a stupid grin on my face feeling a big man having shot the animal in the safety of a number of guys with rifles.
No but you might well pull the bird out after two hours in a furnace, having lately ripped all its hair out by hand after killing it, and wave the roast proudly in front of your family to general coos of satisfaction.

SD1

[QUOTE 3828608, member: 9609"]I'm curious - what's your beef with Magpies ?
I know Jeremy Clarkson was encouraging people to shoot them but he plays the part of an idiot and is best not used as a role model[/QUOTE]

RSPB Views etc

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverande...dguide/name/m/magpie/effect_on_songbirds.aspx

An alternative view on Corvid supported by Songbird survival and others

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/2011/06/springwatch-investigates-the-c.shtml

I read a book dating back to I think the 1930s, can't find it but it may have been a library book. The writer was the first person in the UK to ring birds. He was having a right old moan about game keepers not putting enough effort into keeping the Corvid population down. He believed then they were having an effect on the bird population. So the anti Corvid views is hardly new.
I also expect those who may be against Corvid cull would have a different view on a pigeon cull?

Last edited:

SD1

By all accounts it was a compound bow and not a crossbow. The move to bow hunting is based on the fact that hunters feel gun hunting has got too easy. So while it's all academic, hunting big game (and anything you aren't intending to eat really) is wrong, that's why he was using what he was using. There are separate bow and gun hunting seasons in most of the States that allow hunting in the US for instance. I'd suggest the fact he didn't get a clean kill (apparently it's harder to get a kill shot with a bow which is part of what makes it harder) is proof that it's not as simple as gun hunting and like it or not is probably the single thing that's going to upset him in the long run as his hunting mates will take the piss out of him for it. Not getting a clean kill being a poor showing. That'll probably haunt him long after people have refocused on the next high profile atrocity.

Can't say I think much of the guides. They are supposed to pick the kill not the hunter.

No but you might well pull the bird out after two hours in a furnace, having lately ripped all its hair out by hand after killing it, and wave the roast proudly in front of your family to general coos of satisfaction.

Every animal lives and then dies.
I can see the viewpoint that was linked to on this thread from the vegan website that killing is killing and it is all the same result.
However the difference is that this chap seems to revel in the killing part and treating it as a form of enjoyment.
If we however make that end as swift and as least stressful as we can to the animal are we not just doing what nature does in the wild but a little more humainely?

Cyclist33

Every animal lives and then dies.
I can see the viewpoint that was linked to on this thread from the vegan website that killing is killing and it is all the same result.
However the difference is that this chap seems to revel in the killing part and treating it as a form of enjoyment.
If we however make that end as swift and as least stressful as we can to the animal are we not just doing what nature does in the wild but a little more humainely?

"Humanely" is the key word there, all it actually means is in a humanlike way so in that respect you may be right, but it doesn't mean anything unless humane is defined as kind.

In which case I would answer your question with 'No'.

From The Onion (satire, if it's not obvious)
Following the death of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe, many governments are beginning to question the ethics and fallout of trophy hunting as a sport, while others say the arguments against it are overblown. The Onion breaks down the pros and cons of big-game hunting:
PRO
  • Gives animal kingdom stern reminder about who’s top dog
  • Get to be one of very few people to experience raw, primal exhilaration of being reviled by tens of millions of people
  • Lot of empty wall space in apartment
  • Killing fun
  • Chance of being killed by lion drastically reduced once they are extinct
  • Part of time-honored tradition that dates all the way back to humankind’s earliest peanuts
CON
  • Shoulder pain from recoil of elephant gun
  • Already hard enough for female lions to find decent mate
  • Taxidermists often get eyes wrong
  • Bizarre sexual gratification of murdering large game can only satisfy for so long before you must turn to humans
  • Lion’s next of kin only get small portion of hunting fee
  • When people ask “Do you shoot defenseless animals with metal arrows, wait until they bleed out, and then stuff their remains for decoration?” the answer is “Yes”

I found the #catlivesmatter really shocking in it's lack of perspective.

3000.jpg

Top Bottom