Cecil The Lion RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
By all accounts the animal had given great pleasure to a lot of visitors -it's sad that one guy acted for purely selfish reasons.

I never did like Ted Nugent.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 3827304, member: 259"]I thought he'd disappeared up his own bottom long ago![/QUOTE]

He would've done but his head wouldn't fit.

I think I watched a programme on this where game reserves were allowing hunting to pay for the upkeep of the reserve. Don't quote me on that.

That's the excuse/reason I get from colleagues at work who plan and take big game hunting trips to Africa. They claim that to help pay for the up keep of reserves and fight off poachers they charge Americans vast amounts of money to shoot lions that they had planned to cull anyway. This could be true and so why pay a local $50 to shoot an animal, if you can get an American to pay $50000 to do the job for you. This may have been the original intent, but I've seen some reports that they may be breeding lions just for the purposes of hunting.

I don't get any of it, but I've had 'mates' at work booking trips like this for years. When you live in a State where folks populate their ranches with exotic animals from Africa, just for something more interesting to point their AR15's at, you start to go a bit numb to some very strange attitudes. For example... http://www.greystonecastle.com/index.html

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
That's the excuse/reason I get from colleagues at work who plan and take big game hunting trips to Africa. They claim that to help pay for the up keep of reserves and fight off poachers they charge Americans vast amounts of money to shoot lions that they had planned to cull anyway. This could be true and so why pay a local $50 to shoot an animal, if you can get an American to pay $50000 to do the job for you. This may have been the original intent, but I've seen some reports that they may be breeding lions just for the purposes of hunting.

The quotes from the local officials about the killing were all ridiculously money orientated and really did give the impression that if tourists weren't coming to see Cecil thanks to his dark main then he'd have been on the shooting options menu along with all of the others. There was mention of spending (this is from memory) $325K to shoot a Rhino as a government endorsed permit. I really don't think there's a lot of sentiment going on there, the anger is all fiscal.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I don't get any of it, but I've had 'mates' at work booking trips like this for years. When you live in a State where folks populate their ranches with exotic animals from Africa, just for something more interesting to point their AR15's at, you start to go a bit numb to some very strange attitudes. For example... http://www.greystonecastle.com/index.html

Had a look at that link and what a bunch of Merchant Bankers these people are - 'let's go hunt 'exotics'. FFS.

Part of the very dubious soft underbelly of the (self appointed - what a load of cobblers) Leaders of the Free World.

[QUOTE 3827634, member: 43827"]I find myself saddened more than outraged by this.

I eat meat and must therefore condone killing animals for my food, indeed I would be prepared to kill animals for food myself if there were any suitable roaming the streets of Cardiff (no comments please) and Lidls was not so convenient for me.

What saddens me is that a person who is otherwise so successful in life is happy to kill an animal just for pleasure and status within his peer group, especially when the odds are so much in his favour. A bit like our royal family I suppose. The fact that the lion had a human name is irrelevant.

He and his like would probably find it as impossible to understand my point of view as I do theirs.[/QUOTE]

Good point.
Adding to that - if I kept chickens and then had one for Sunday lunch, I would ensure it had a good life and that its end was swift and as humane as possible. I would not revel in the killing, certainly I would not enjoy it.
I certainly would not stand there over the pathetic corpse with my bow and arrow in hand and a stupid grin on my face feeling a big man having shot the animal in the safety of a number of guys with rifles.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
@User9609 Oh it was pretty random, I happened to look up and saw a load of them at my bird feeders - again - it could have been squirrels or crows, or slugs, especially slugs, but I'm sure there's no market at all for slug hunting. By the way I'm not saying the slugs get at my bird feeders, just everywhere else.

Strangely, the whole entitled dentist thing made me think of this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kxp9CEJeAg

AndyRM

XOXO
As much as I disprove I fail to get outraged.

I know full well the tortured lives the animals I eat have lead before they end up on my plate. I know full well the leather shoes I buy or wallet or belt has somewhere down the line caused the suffering of an animal. The products I use which I don't even check whether they have been tested on animals, causing even more suffering. Regardless of the suffering, I know we do not even have a right to kill animals full stop, we can survive without eating meat, but I still do these things as do most people.

Sure he is killing purely for fun but he is doing so whilst trying for an instant kill. At least it is him taking the life where as most of us are happy for others to do the killing for us and plead ignorance to the suffering the animals go to for our pleasure. This story will get a lot of outrage from hypocritical people who can't bare to see a dead lion but are happy to allow systematic torture of millions of animals deemed food.

I%20am%20Cecil.png

https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-new/news/cecil-killing-no-more-tragedy-billions-farmed-animals

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Poor animal, this story breaks my heart...shocking to say this but I'm looking forward to the news report about that man that shot this stunning animal has himself been shot with a bow and arrow and been left to bleed out for 40 hours....if only we did have karma.

Col5632

Guru
Poor animal, this story breaks my heart...shocking to say this but I'm looking forward to the news report about that man that shot this stunning animal has himself been shot with a bow and arrow and been left to bleed out for 40 hours....if only we did have karma.

I have a feeling karma will come round soon enough and get him in one way or another.

I just don't understand the kick these people get out of doing this, he's spent a great deal more than I make in a year just to kill something for fun, what a loser in my books :cursing:

Top Bottom