Cecil The Lion RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Please consider retracting this post.

Why, it is a matter of sheer hypocrisy to worry about a lion and yet not be concerned about babies being killed.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Why, it is a matter of sheer hypocrisy to worry about a lion and yet not be concerned about babies being killed.
  1. Abortion is not the killing of babies.
  2. This thread was started as a way for people to post fantasies of violence against an individual as retribution. This does happen to abortion providers so your argument fails in the first instance. Also women seeking abortion have to endure terrible verbal, emotional and sometimes physical abuse, so yes, people are "concerned" as you put it.
  3. I've posted upthread about hypocrisy and not felt the need to bring abortion into the debate. They are two separate issues.
  4. Your post seems to me to be deliberately antagonistic and an attempt to derail the thread.
@Moderators I would appreciate your opinion :okay:

mybike

1. Abortion is not the killing of babies.
  2. This thread was started as a way for people to post fantasies of violence against an individual as retribution. This does happen to abortion providers so your argument fails in the first instance. Also women seeking abortion have to endure terrible verbal, emotional and sometimes physical abuse, so yes, people are "concerned" as you put it.
  3. I've posted upthread about hypocrisy and not felt the need to bring abortion into the debate. They are two separate issues.
  4. Your post seems to me to be deliberately antagonistic and an attempt to derail the thread.
@Moderators I would appreciate your opinion :okay:

It seems to me that a great deal of anger has been expressed over the killing of this lion. Curiously none is expressed over the killing of babies in the womb. I think that is fair comment. As to the child not being a baby while in the womb, that is simply scientific nonsense and every baby aborted has to endure physical abuse. Presumably you wish to prevent me expressing my opinion.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want to have a debate about abortion, why not start a new thread in SC&P. That's the appropriate place for it. In fact there's probably a thread already to resurrect to save on bandwidth, use the search function

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3827078, member: 9609"]because it is a different subject - it is possibly a far more important subject but it is a different subject - please delete your posts from this thread and start a new thread.

could the @Moderators step in here please[/QUOTE]

whilst it is a derailment / whataboutery even, and an emotive one at that, there's a serious point in that "we" tend to get more upset over one dead animal than manifestly greater evils (not saying abortion is evil)

and I too find the idea of killing an animal for the mere sake of it distasteful, whilst killing an animal for sport which you are going to eat seems more ok.

mybike

[QUOTE 3827078, member: 9609"]because it is a different subject - it is possibly a far more important subject but it is a different subject - please delete your posts from this thread and start a new thread.

could the @Moderators step in here please[/QUOTE]

Is it not a fair comment on the fuss being made over this lion? Or is it that you just want to silence me?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Moderator note:
@mybike: The issue of abortion is not related to this. Please keep posts on-topic.
If you wish to discuss abortion, please start your own thread in the SC&P forum. You can even discuss the comparison between killing Cecil and aborting fetuses if you wish, but do it in its own thread.

To other posters here: if mybike continues, please just report the post - do not continue the off-topicness by responding further in this thread.

mybike

[QUOTE 3827118, member: 9609"]Not really, I have suggested starting a new thread where it could be discussed in depth.[/QUOTE]

Tell me, do you not think the fuss made over the killing of this lion is out of proportion?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Tell me, do you not think the fuss made over the killing of this lion is out of proportion?

Replying (as a normal poster, not as a moderator) to your question as written here - yes, I do, considering all the other horrible things that are going on in the world (which includes FGM, slavery, sexual exploitation, people dying of starvation/preventable diseases etc etc - which we will not go into details of here).

But the fact that other horrible things happen does not prevent people feeling outraged by this act, nor should it. And it isn't as if sounding off on here is preventing these people from acting on any of the other wrongs in the world - they could be doing both.

Out of proportion - yes. There shouldn't be a fuss made - NO! Fuss should be made.

mybike

Replying (as a normal poster, not as a moderator) to your question as written here - yes, I do, considering all the other horrible things that are going on in the world (which includes FGM, slavery, sexual exploitation, people dying of starvation/preventable diseases etc etc - which we will not go into details of here).

But the fact that other horrible things happen does not prevent people feeling outraged by this act, nor should it. And it isn't as if sounding off on here is preventing these people from acting on any of the other wrongs in the world - they could be doing both.

Out of proportion - yes. There shouldn't be a fuss made - NO! Fuss should be made.

I think what is outrageous is the fact that the guy failed to kill the lion, any hunter worth his salt would not have allowed the animal to creep away and die in pain. Perhaps it would be more to the point to mock his lack of skill.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
By all accounts it was a compound bow and not a crossbow. The move to bow hunting is based on the fact that hunters feel gun hunting has got too easy. So while it's all academic, hunting big game (and anything you aren't intending to eat really) is wrong, that's why he was using what he was using. There are separate bow and gun hunting seasons in most of the States that allow hunting in the US for instance. I'd suggest the fact he didn't get a clean kill (apparently it's harder to get a kill shot with a bow which is part of what makes it harder) is proof that it's not as simple as gun hunting and like it or not is probably the single thing that's going to upset him in the long run as his hunting mates will take the piss out of him for it. Not getting a clean kill being a poor showing. That'll probably haunt him long after people have refocused on the next high profile atrocity.

Top Bottom