Chain suck article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The article mentioned more causes than just a dirty chain. I keep my drive train and chain very clean, and the ones I currently have are relatively new, but for the first time ever have had this chain suck, so now I have to determine why. I'd welcome any suggestions on how this could be occurring.

Take a very close look at the offending chain ring one slightly damaged cog is all it takes to stop the chain releasing. If you can exclude this, then have a very close look at the chain. A stiff link or a damaged side plate can be all it takes. After that.....buy another bike - you know you want to!

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm thinking of a few possibilties:
  1. I've somehow created premature wear on my middle chain ring, although a quick visual inspection of it didn't show anything obvious. I'll inspect it more closely this weekend.
  2. One or more teeth on the middle chain ring may be bent.
  3. My chain has a manufacturing defect (one of you mentioned this possibility).

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Take a very close look at the offending chain ring one slightly damaged cog is all it takes to stop the chain releasing. If you can exclude this, then have a very close look at the chain. A stiff link or a damaged side plate can be all it takes. After that.....buy another bike - you know you want to!
Yes, thanks, I plan to (do the inspection, that is, not buy a new bike!). I'm very attached to this bike, having done 80,000km on it, so I plan to keep it going until we're both ready for replacement! :laugh:

Top Bottom