Charge Plug 3 Special Edition 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It's sad, but not even having ridden it, there are two things I know I want to change. Maybe three.

One is the grips. I have large hands ( an octave and two, on a piano) and so I like a nice big grip, otherwise my fingers seem to go dead.

The pedals. I like some sort of toe clip/strap and these offer no possibility of that. They will go.

Tyres. My Kona Blast had skinnier slicks than the balloons the Plug has arrived with. I'd like something slimmer, with reflective sidewalls (I'm a dad and want to be around to see the boy disappoint me!) as these seem to have happened since I last got interested in bikes. Suggestions welcome. :smile:

Check out Hold Fast or similar straps. Or hit up Nate over at Restrap in Leeds. He makes 2 different foot strap design's for pedals such as those and the service is top notch!

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Very nice! And very clean! (At the mo)
I've waited to respond to this one - It's not so clean now. :becool:

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Check out Hold Fast or similar straps. Or hit up Nate over at Restrap in Leeds. He makes 2 different foot strap design's for pedals such as those and the service is top notch!
Thanks for the heads up on Hold Fast. I'd seen Restrap already, but it looks like only the diagonal straps will work; Do you know anybody who uses them? They look a bit odd to this, long time lapsed, returner to the cycling fold.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The diagonal Restrap are good, you put our foot in at an angle, then as your straighten up, they tighten your foot down, like those powergrip straps, except much stronger and more secure.

joro

Very cool bike ... the SRF3 is a great hub, and I reckon you are ahead of the Next Big Fashion with a hub 3 speeder. Maintenance is almost as low as SS, and three gears are good for a lot of different terrain.

Change nothing and add nothing until you've covered the first 1000 miles, then you'll know what needs doing (if anything).

(Well maybe add some mudguards ??)

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I'm flattered to be fingered as a trend setter (that's a first!), but it just seemed like a common sense choice. It wasn't about 'the look', but the simplicity was appealing and the SRF-3 ticked that box and added convenience.

I've failed on the no changes front though. The stock tyres are gone, but that's because I'd been riding on skinnier stock for years on my old Kona. The 700c 38s were doomed by the end of my first 10 mile ride and in came some Conti Contact Reflex 28mm. Still comfy, but they feel a lot quicker.

Mudguards? Yup, couldn't agree more and I bought exactly the same ones I bought 10 years ago, because they worked and come off with a squeeze and a good, hard pull.

Otherwise, the only thing I really dislike are the stock BMX type pedals. If they could accomodate at least a strap, I'd be happy, but they don't and my feet seem to wander all over the place on them.

Otherwise, the Plug 3 seems to fit like a glove and I love it. :smile:

Russell

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Very cool bike ... the SRF3 is a great hub, and I reckon you are ahead of the Next Big Fashion with a hub 3 speeder. Maintenance is almost as low as SS, and three gears are good for a lot of different terrain.

Change nothing and add nothing until you've covered the first 1000 miles, then you'll know what needs doing (if anything).

(Well maybe add some mudguards ??)

Generally sound advice....but no sane cyclists would want to ride 10000 miles on those pedals.....they really are crap. I have a pair in my garage off my son's Charge Plug. They were change after about 2 miles.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Generally sound advice....but no sane cyclists would want to ride 10000 miles on those pedals.....they really are crap. I have a pair in my garage off my son's Charge Plug. They were change after about 2 miles.
Mine didn't even make is as far as getting fitted!

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
What did you chaps change them to?

HovR

Über Member
Mmm. I was hoping to avoid clips.

Imagine all the benefits of toe straps, without the disadvantage of having to lean down to tighten/loosen the strap. That pretty much describes SPD clipless.

I run SPD's on my club bike, and toe straps on the commuter, and I far prefer the SPD's. If you get a chance to try them, please do! That said some people get along perfectly fine with just toe straps. Personal choice and all that, :smile:

Very nice pictures, and a very nice bike, by the way!

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I assumed the disadvantage came when you got off the thing to walk around town. On my last bike, had straps with toe clips, but left them just loose enough that I didn't bother tightening them. It just gave a bit of security.

On this bike, I was going to try flats with straps like these, except I was going to make them.

Any recommendations on some reasonably priced (£30-40) flats? :smile:

Russell

Top Bottom