Charge Plug 3 Special Edition 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I assumed the disadvantage came when you got off the thing to walk around town. On my last bike, had straps with toe clips, but left them just loose enough that I didn't bother tightening them. It just gave a bit of security.

On this bike, I was going to try flats with straps like these, except I was going to make them.

Any recommendations on some reasonably priced (£30-40) flats? :smile:

Russell
No disadvantage if you are using mtb spds and mtb/touring shoes where the cleat is recessed into the sole of the shoe so walking along is fine. Road spd-sl pedals and road shoes are another matter though.

Can't help with recs. on flats for use with clips or straps, sorry, don't use them. plain flats? superstar.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Okay. Will investigate. :smile:

joro

I've tried a lot of pedal systems: racing cleats, SPDs, toe clips and no clips.

All have benefits and drawbacks.

There's a very small advantage in cleats ... you might be 1% or 2% faster which might be worth having on a long day out (2% of 12 hours is nearly quarter of an hour). Walking in SPDs isn't too bad, but walking with no cleats is nicer. Conversely spd pedals (even the double sided spd/flat ones) are not as comfortable as traditional flat pedals when riding cleatless, and with the latter you can wear any shoes you like (with more or less efficiency).

I recently removed the last of my toe clips from my old Claud Butler. Foot slipping off pedal has rarely been a problem for me (ymmv), and I enjoy the freedom of riding foot loose and fancy free.

It all comes back to the kind of riding you do, and how much you care about being as efficient as possible at the cost of losing a bit of flexibility in footwear.

And yes I agree the original pedals on the Plug (as on most new bikes) seem pretty crappy, but I'd still run them for a little while just to get a feel for the style of riding.

HovR

Über Member
Okay. Will investigate. :smile:

SPD shoes can be had in a variety of forms, from your standard running type trainers and skate style shoes to walking boots and even sandals! Many shoes look just like normal shoes, and wouldn't look out of place if you'd just cycled to the pub/social event/friends house etc, so in many cases there is no need to bring spare shoes.

I also find SPD's more comfy (no grip pins/edges digging in to your feet through thin soles), and the security of having you foot attached to the pedal is just one less thing to worry about, especially in the wet.

Don't, however, buy into SPD's expecting them to make you faster, as some people do. This, in my opinion, is not the main advantage of SPD's. Shoes can also be had cheaper, such as the ones that sometimes come up for sale at the Aldi cycling events, although there is a much more limited style selection.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Yes, I should point out that is not the kitchen - It's the utility/boot room which gets a bit more of a kicking. That fine example of refrigeration technology is just the b-b-q beer fridge.

climb_rox

I'm flattered to be fingered as a trend setter (that's a first!), but it just seemed like a common sense choice. It wasn't about 'the look', but the simplicity was appealing and the SRF-3 ticked that box and added convenience.

I've failed on the no changes front though. The stock tyres are gone, but that's because I'd been riding on skinnier stock for years on my old Kona. The 700c 38s were doomed by the end of my first 10 mile ride and in came some Conti Contact Reflex 28mm. Still comfy, but they feel a lot quicker.

Mudguards? Yup, couldn't agree more and I bought exactly the same ones I bought 10 years ago, because they worked and come off with a squeeze and a good, hard pull.

Otherwise, the only thing I really dislike are the stock BMX type pedals. If they could accomodate at least a strap, I'd be happy, but they don't and my feet seem to wander all over the place on them.

Otherwise, the Plug 3 seems to fit like a glove and I love it. :smile:

Russell

Hi,

New to site (and cycling) other than bmx in small city. Just moved to London and now intend to commute, the distance is much greater than I am used to (16miles) however it is along a river bike path so steady (I'm told).

I have had this bike recommended to me from several keen cyclists, however have a few questions. I was hoping you could help?

Firstly can I drop to a 28 tyre as you have without changing the wheels? I intend to use continental ultra gatorskins? Can you see any issues there?

Secondly, which mud guards did you go with? The description suggests mounts would allow fitting of mudguards, however most people seem to be opting for a clip on, is this for ease of fitting or are there actually no mounts?

Finally, did you crack the pedal issue? I cant bare the idea of spds. Hopefully riding BMX for years may prove beneficial here.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Climb_rox

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Cycling along the River Camb path, I find the 28s okay, although if I did it all the time, I'd probably have stuck with the 38s for a bit more comfort. Generally, I'm more often than not up and down the Misguided Bus route and on the road, so the skinnier rubber suits me better.

Mudguards are of the SKS High Trek Clip on type. There are lugs for more permanent types and other accessories and if I commuted, I would probably go that route. As it is, I'm more often than not toeing a tag-along these days, so I tend not to go out if it's raining.

No, I didn't sort the pedals yet, although I keep meaning to. Shortly after I started whining about the pedals, I started wearing some Berghaus walking/activity shoes for general hacking about as the trainers I was wearing stunk. These do seem to provide a happier grip, plus the afore-mentioned tag-along, tends to preclude standing up to accelerate, as it scares the bejesus out of the little fella behind! Straps are still on the to-do list though.

Work and weather have stopped me from putting more than about 300miles on the Plug 3, but I must say I am loving it. I need to get out on more and shift some of this lard!

Russell

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I suppose I should post an updated photo. :smile:
hde6.jpg

climb_rox

Cycling along the River Camb path, I find the 28s okay, although if I did it all the time, I'd probably have stuck with the 38s for a bit more comfort. Generally, I'm more often than not up and down the Misguided Bus route and on the road, so the skinnier rubber suits me better.

Mudguards are of the SKS High Trek Clip on type. There are lugs for more permanent types and other accessories and if I commuted, I would probably go that route. As it is, I'm more often than not toeing a tag-along these days, so I tend not to go out if it's raining.

No, I didn't sort the pedals yet, although I keep meaning to. Shortly after I started whining about the pedals, I started wearing some Berghaus walking/activity shoes for general hacking about as the trainers I was wearing stunk. These do seem to provide a happier grip, plus the afore-mentioned tag-along, tends to preclude standing up to accelerate, as it scares the bejesus out of the little fella behind! Straps are still on the to-do list though.

Work and weather have stopped me from putting more than about 300miles on the Plug 3, but I must say I am loving it. I need to get out on more and shift some of this lard!

Russell

Russell

Russell,

Thanks so much for the info. Good to know it isn't a bad option for when the extra family members arrive (wife is keen). Will deffo stick with the 38s for the foreseeable, Just wanted to be sure I could change to a skinnier if my thighs start doubling in size (being a climber and all, the skinny tyres may help).

Do you know if these guards would fit?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-roadracer-mk2-mudguard-set/
I know there a lot more, but its on a cycle to work scheme so I feel like splashing out.

Will let you know when it arrives and if I sort a preferred pedal option.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I reckon they should fit, as they seem to be designed for fitting without the benefit of having lugs on the bike. As you have the lugs, you could also opt for something along the lines of these. No matter - In my experience, most things can be made to fit something else, so you'll end up with mudguards one way or another!

Top Bottom