England : Greater Manchester Clayton Vale MTB practice session, Sat 6th Sept.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As a precursor to my planned Edale MTB forum ride I am going to pay a quick visit to the Clayton Vale MTB trails near to the Manchester Velodrome venue. This is purely a bike shakedown, get to meet some other forum riders and brush up on MTB skills exercise.

If anyone wants to join me for 1-2hrs play time I will be hanging around outside the Evans bike shop for a little while at 10am this Saturday, 6th Sept. We can start off on the pump track (mini obstacle course) before heading off into the Vale proper to have a bit of boisterous fun on the tracks there. I know the trails reasonably well but for someone new to the area there are enough challenging bits to make a good, fun-filled couple of hour’s fly-by.

I have other commitments in the afternoon so need to be getting away by around midday but there’s no reason you can’t stick around and continue playing without me.

Who fancies a couple of hours dirty fun then?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Anybody? Looks like it is just me, myself and I at the moment :sad:

@dan_bo @fossyant @skudupnorth

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nobody showed up but that's their loss as personally I had a great time.

The rain was chucking it down when I left home but only for long enough to soak me to the skin. I didn't care though and splashed at speed along the canal towpath to the M/cr Velodrome. I arrived at 10 minutes to 10 and the sun was trying to make an appearance by then. After playing around on the concrete blocks for 15 minutes I headed in to the Vale and managed 2½ laps. Blimey, talk about slippery when wet! Whatever the stuff is that they have used to surface the track through the trees it is bl**dy treacherous when damp. I have commented on this last autumn when I just assumed it was due to the fallen leaves but even before the leaves start to fall it is no better.

My first lap was poor, I felt like an old fart trying to play a young mans game. I even left my bike behind at one point when zig-zagging down the black run near the end. Luckily I landed 'cat-like' on my feet and jogged to a stop. I'm sure anyone that was watching probably thought I had intended to get off there :whistle:
The second lap was better and I improved my line into the corners as the surface started to dry out for a much smoother run.
For the final ½ lap I stayed on the southern side and did a few laps of the oval up on the top. This is a scream and is about a quarter mile circuit with bumps/jumps that you can get up some serious speed on. It can actually be a real battle to keep the bike on the ground when you need to turn at some points. Finally one last run down the orange track before leaving the Vale at the eastern end and heading back across Littlemoss and Daisy Nook. I found a great little patch at the bottom of the hill below Woodhouses where I have always suspected there was a path that followed close by the river to the footbridge over the Medlock. There's a bloomin huge fishing pond I never even knew about!

Anyway, a great ride, 24 miles, home before 12 so in the good books with Lady Skol and all ready for Edale next weekend :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was round my in-laws house cooking breakfast for them - MIL is disabled (stroke) and FIL is on his last legs with lung cancer.

Would have loved a spin out

Top Bottom