Clipless or flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tell you what, those who want to go clipless do it and those that don't, don't. Please don't turn it into a helmet type debate :stop:
Its a bit different though, with an helmet you know the benefits or not even without wearing one, clip-in pedals you don't know till you try, and in many cases its the fear of falling off that is of putting, I know it was me, but from being quite apprehensive about it, I wouldn't go back not even in traffic as it really does in most peoples cases become a non issue

hoopdriver

Guru
Me too. No interest whatever in giving up my much loved old quill pedals. Not only do I prefer the convenience of being able to pick up my bike and go, whatever the sort of shoes I have on my feet, I prefer them aesthetically as well. I am a classicist when it comes to my bicycles. I like pedals to look like pedals, not like egg-beaters, or modern sculpture, or high-tech paddles from a bread making machine

Boon 51

Veteran
I like clipless myself and wouldn't have it any other way,
But I did have some nylon toe clips when I first started which is a halfway step to clipless they are very easy to remove your foot should you need to and still better than pedals.

Mrs M

Guru
What about dual sided pedals?
If you decide to clip in just practice clipping in and out before you take to the road, and remember to unclip before you come to a complete stop.
Whatever you decide, cycling will help your leg, have fun.:bicycle:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Me too. No interest whatever in giving up my much loved old quill pedals. Not only do I prefer the convenience of being able to pick up my bike and go, whatever the sort of shoes I have on my feet, I prefer them aesthetically as well. I am a classicist when it comes to my bicycles. I like pedals to look like pedals, not like egg-beaters, or modern sculpture, or high-tech paddles from a bread making machine
Yes - but what do pedals look like? The first clipless were patented in 1895, and how about Ramsey's pedals of 1898? In the 60s I used Lyotard's platform pedals (introduced in the 1930s), with clips, straps and cleats, and still like the look of them.

hoopdriver

Guru
What do bicycles look like? You can find every sort of permutation under the sun but all the same there is a broad consensus of what is a classic traditional bicycle. It's the same with pedals.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
mks-lambda-pedals-1.jpg

jack smith

Veteran
I physically cant ride a bike with flats after having cleats for just over a year, i go to pull up and fall off or put the power down and slip off and bang my nuts

Top Bottom