Clipless or flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
4 of my bikes have SPD on the fifth has flats, even though the one with flats on only gets rode on about once a year I seem to have no problems.

Backonmybike

I started cycling this summer after a 30 year gap. Used flats for a couple of months until I got confident riding again and changed to dual flat/spd. I set the tension to low and practiced for a couple of days and only had one fall on the first day. I never use the flat side now unless I am going on a very short trip even then it doesnt feel right. A bit like driving without a seatbelt.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
this?
IMG_2223_resize.jpg
or this?
campygransport.jpg

with toe clips or not?
- or this?
mavicpp75.jpg

They are all classics aren't they? (Not to mention the classic Shimano SPD pedal, Speedplay, Crank brothers etc etc).

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
+
now they are nice pedals! I am still in two minds as to whether to keep my vintage pug pedals with the toe clips or get something similar to these in a chrome finish for the winter :smile:
Those are Lambda Pedals, by MKS. They are very nice. I use the Nike Hiking shoes with those in this weather, and switch to boots in the winter.

theloafer

Legendary Member
I have a mix and match approach (but not on the same bike). As far as I can see, there really is no firm evidence of the suggested benefits of clipless pedals. I have only put them on my "best" bike because flats would look a bit odd.
as odd as this (seems fine to me) looks like a bike with pedals... ^_^ my carbon road bike
002.JPG

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I remember my brother getting his first computer and thinking why would anyone want one of those. After all a pencil, paper and abacus works fine.
and they do even in a power cut when lighting a candle won't make the internet come back on.

I've gone from flats to clipless and pretty much totally back to flats again now. I prefer the utility of being able to hop on a bike and go nowadays and don't like the click clack or clank clank of even MTB SPD shoes when walking out and about / in town.

My roadie has clipless as much for aesthetics as anything performance wise (me? performance?? hahahahahah) &I've just taken the dual sided pedals off my MTB this afternoon and replaced them with straight flats

Top Bottom