close passing prosecutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's unlikely to happen as there aren't prosecutions for running people down.

steve50

Disenchanted Member

Motorists who endanger cyclists by getting too close to them will be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention under a new scheme.
I imagine that is what they will be aiming for, anything the police do to make the roads safer for cyclists is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Edit ; have anyone read the comments under the article, the usual anti cyclist brigade giving it their all.

Have left a comment of my own, will be interesting to read any responses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member

Motorists who endanger cyclists by getting too close to them will be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention under a new scheme.
I imagine that is what they will be aiming for, anything the police do to make the roads safer for cyclists is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Edit ; have anyone read the comments under the article, the usual anti cyclist brigade giving it their all.
will have a read, when I get time, this work malarkey keeps getting in he way

Lonestar

Veteran
[Rant] I can't post on there as I'm not on ar53b00k,probably lucky really as I wanted to say....society showing how thick it is as usual.

Confronted by a mobile wielding motorist yesterday whose brain cell was overloaded...an ignorant coach driver blocking the cycle lane crossing and a lorry driver who demolished a Boris Bike...luckily with no rider on it....and do get me onto lack of signalling or suddenly swapping a right turn for a left turn.:cursing:

Oh yeah...another car pulling out from a sidestreet without looking or stopping (until he nearly collided with me,that is),but that ok isn't it?

Pedestrians staring at mobile phones when crossing the road,very clever.Where's the clown smiley?[/Rant Over]

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran

Jimmy Jim ·
Owner-operator at Self-employed
All cyc;ists should be made to pay road tax have insurance and sit a test to make sure they know the rules of the road the times I have seen then go through red lights go up one way streets be on the pavements and all there bikes should have a type of Mot to be on the road.

His punctuation is almost as bad as mine.:shy:

The annoying thing about this is that since I ride both a motorcycle and drive a car. I have taken 2 lots of practical tests, and 2 lots of theory tests, and 2 lots of hazard perception too. And since one license was 4 years after the other. That is probably more regular training than what most of those car drivers get.

Not even all cars pay VED. Should we ban electric cars too?

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member

Have left a comment of my own, will be interesting to read any responses.
felt compelled to add a few comments/replies as well

Mile195

Veteran
All a nice idea, but almost entirely unenforceable isn't it? I can't see many cases going to court and anyone being able to prove beyond reasonable doubt whether or not a driver was at least 1.5 meters away. It's impossible to be that accurate even with video footage - we all know how wide lenses distort distances from camera footage that gets posted on here all the time. "Honest, he was much closer than it looks in the video".

And also, <1.5 meters - is that always a close pass? At a traffic speed of 10-15 mph, 60cms doesn't even feel close sometimes. Cycling along a 60mph road, 1.5 meters may not even be enough.

Still, maybe if it became law then it might make people think, and then its served a purpose. Kind of like that middle-lane driving thing. Handful of prosecutions, but maybe more people pay attention to their positioning now. Who knows.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4469021, member: 9609"]the current 'leave as much room as you would a car' is meaningless bolloxs.[/QUOTE]
Especially when it's accompanied in the highway code by a picture of a car straddling a white line that would be dangerously close if it was overtaking an identical car:
flaw_in_hc_rule_163_pic.jpg

Top Bottom