Collision with car reversing off of driveway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

If the event hapened as you recall then the fault lies with the driver.
However, in your position I would probably pay for the wheel truing myself rather than faff about with the driver as he can make up any argument about where the fault lies and there is no evidence. I would however report the incident to his insurers as a collision. Just my opinion, bearing in mind I have relatively little experience in these things.

jim55

Guru
yeah technically its the drivers fault but its of no consolation when if ud stopped or slowed to anticipate something stupid it wouldnt have happened ,we all know car drivers do stupid things and this is a prime example .
the guy shouldnt have reversed out but its hardly a good model for defensive riding is it ,if uv seen the guy reversing ,poor anticipation u ask me
btw im a reg commuter and have avoided many daft things in my time ,im in no way on the drivers side ,but in this case i believe fault lies with rider for not taking evasive action
i used to ride mbikes a lot and had this stressed to me a lot ,,defensive riding folks :blush:

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Yes, Luke could have avoided it but sometimes the 'sixth sense' doesn't ping to say that the person will pull out. If I took evasive action for every 'what if' then I'd be reluctant to cycle at all.

Very true. I'm usually very perceptive about this sort of thing, but on this particular occasion it didn't kick in for me at all.

What you should have done is slowed down slightly, waited until he was fully on to the road then bunny hopped on to the car bonnet, follow this up with a track stand while giving him a manic grin. For the finale rip off a windscreen wiper and conduct an imaginary symphony while bouncing up and down on your rear wheel, hop off, blow him a kiss and cycle off backwards. Doubt he will do that again.
I have had a glass of red wine or two.

I was taught defensive riding on police courses, so far it has worked.
I wasn't and so far it has worked. Point being is drivers and cyclists should show each other the same respect, there should be no bias. It's a problem if we blame the cyclist for not seeing a careless driver. The careless driver should be at fault!

OP
OP
Luke Redpath

Luke Redpath

Thanks for all your comments so far. I might follow up with the police but I suspect it's a waste of time. I've lurked on here long enough to know that the police generally aren't interested in such matters. It's Essex Police by the way.

Maybe if he really had been uninsured the police would have been interested!

Anyway, I really don't think I'm to blame here. It's easy to think about how you could have reacted differently or anticipated better with hindsight but I just remember it happening very fast without having much time to think.

His attitude is what got to me the most. If he'd been genuinely apologetic and showed concern with my well being I'd have walked away feeling a lot better about the whole thing and happy to deal with his privately. People do make mistakes, we all do. I know if I'd been in his position I'd have been horrified and would have done all I can to make sure the other person was ok.

I'll wait and see what British Cycling say and go from there. If they think it's worth pursuing I will.

crazyjoe101

What you should have done is slowed down slightly, waited until he was fully on to the road then bunny hopped on to the car bonnet, follow this up with a track stand while giving him a manic grin. For the finale rip off a windscreen wiper and conduct an imaginary symphony while bouncing up and down on your rear wheel, hop off, blow him a kiss and cycle off backwards. Doubt he will do that again.
That's what I normally do, except I also scratch 'CC' into the windshield, a la Zorro.

Keith Oates

Janner
I agree with you about his attiude,Luke. Last year, when I was back in the UK, a car pulled out in front of me from a side road. The elderly driver immediately apologised and offered to pay for any damage but although the front wheel needed straightening and one of the spokes was broken I just said thanks for the offer but be more careful in the future and then walked home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nothing to stop you claiming direct from his insurance company, although if it is just a wheel true, then it hardly seems worth the bother.

The insurance company can either say yes or no, but you have nothing (further) to lose.

There's a small point that might go in your favour.

Was the kerb 'dropped' where he reversed over it?

Many house driveways of this type have simply been established by the house owner by use - they have no legal standing.

So it may be that he shouldn't have been reversing - or going forwards - where he was.

If the kerb is 'dropped' then the chances are it's a proper driveway.

But if it's not, then it may not be a proper driveway which, as I say, is a small point in your favour.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Your totally in the right and as others have said i would get the whole bike checked over as more than just the wheel could need replacing .

Top Bottom