Contador fails drug test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I'll come in on the bulk order, can we have some epo as well? Oh and some whizz too if they've got it, I no it's not really going to help my cycling but I haven't had any for years ;)

Forgot about EPO, Lets see if we can get a bulk discount on that too, while we are at it , lets set up a UCI Pro Team, making sure it doesn't go to waste .

raindog

er.....
I'll have a coupla tubs of whatevers going - got to get rid of this wine gut before the season starts.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
... reflecting on this further, has the friend who gave him the meat been identified, did he actually come across that day, did he have receipts from a butchers, etc - ie do we know for sure that the steak did exist?

Probably I've just missed all of this by not reading the right mags!

The friend was a Spanish journalist who was a regular visitor to the team. He's spoken with the team cook via mobile whilst on the way, and was asked to get some meat. The journalist was asked to get the meat because the hotel were being sticky about letting the team use the hotel kitchen, so they were cooking in the back of the team bus. This was all documented in an interview the cook gave to some other journalist a couple of days later. The interview said the journalist got it from Pau market, but the journalist said he got it just before crossing the border (do you know what French for "veal tenderlion" is?). Maybe the cook didn't ask at the time, and just assumed.
The team do have the receipt, which would have gone in for expenses.

The contaminated meat theory can't be proved either way.
By the time the test results were available the actual meat from the same cow would have been history, and anything else, such as the hide, would be untraceable.
On the other side, before clenbuterol was banned in cattle there were cases of people being hospitalised due to eating clenbuterol contaminated cow meat (i.e not liver). There were about 42,000(*) clenbuterol slaughterhouse tests in Europe over 2 years, and none tested positive. However, that just means none failed the public health standards, not that there were none that would have registered clenbuterol on a test designed to detect evidence of use. It seems to be known than stopping dosing 2 or 3 weeks before slaughter will result in passing the test. Clenbuterol use does continue - a Spanish vet was nabbed for selling clenbuterol to farmers (in the Canaries iirc) after Contador was tested.

If you want to trawl through the mammoth treads on the cyclingnews forum, you can find the links for most of this.

Me, I think the blood doping explanation is the most likely.
However, I also think that if this ever gets out of the sporting courts and into the civil ones, Contador could end up getting off on the uncertainty. It would take longer than a year though, not to mention costing a fortune. Contador would do well to compare his current financial status with that of Flandis.

(*)
Anyone any idea of what percentage of animals that makes?

Don't know if this helps:

http://www.marca.com...1297167903.html

From the 'translated' bit:

Tonight on the program "Around the World 'by Veo7 - from 22.00 hours also in MARCA.com - featuring Peter J. Ramirez, will guest with Alberto Contador, who will give his version on doping charges hanging over his head after failing last four stages of the Tour de France.

This is the first television interview granted by the cyclist Pinto, and two days after the deadline had to present their arguments to the proposed penalty, a year without being able to compete and the loss of the Tour de France 2010 - Competition Committee of the RFEC.

MARCA as forward in today's edition, then not only Astana rider tested positive for clenbuterol at the stage July 21 (50 pg / ml) of the Tour de France, as previously thought, but did so in three more. Day 22 (16 pg / ml), 24 (7 pg / ml) and 25 (17 pg / ml) of the same month, analyzes the Madrid were also positive.

yello

My reading of the '4 positives' (which isn't a new story btw, it's just hi-lighting a particular fact and giving it a spin) is that all 4 tests are deemed to have the same source (be it contaminated meat, transfusion or whatever) so, in effect, there's only 1 case to answer. It's the same positive four times, if you like. Remember, the testing lab picked up minute amounts and the stuff may well take days to clear entirely from the system (I don't know this for a fact, btw, I'm just hypothesising!)

Re the lab, I was interested to read (in the Guardian link above) one of Contador's lines of defence...

Contador's team has also called on Spanish cycling's disciplinary committee to take into account "the principle of equality" when it comes to analysing athletes' samples. Contador's clenbuterol reading was discovered at a German lab in Cologne, which is one of just four of the world's 34 accredited anti-doping laboratories cutting-edge enough to have detected the minute traces of clenbuterol.

Personally, I have some sympathy for this line of defence and I'm not surprised it's being taken. Of course, it doesn't make him 'not guilty' but it does bring into question what I would have thought is a basic tenet of law - that of it being applied equally.

frank9755

Cyclist
Personally, I have some sympathy for this line of defence and I'm not surprised it's being taken. Of course, it doesn't make him 'not guilty' but it does bring into question what I would have thought is a basic tenet of law - that of it being applied equally.

I see your point but I don't agree.
I agree that, in a sense, he was unlucky, in the way that someone who is seen committing an offence by a policeman with unusually good eyesight, or is chased down the street by one who happens to be a club sprinter, is also unlucky. But still guilty.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My reading of the '4 positives' (which isn't a new story btw, it's just hi-lighting a particular fact and giving it a spin) is that all 4 tests are deemed to have the same source (be it contaminated meat, transfusion or whatever) so, in effect, there's only 1 case to answer. It's the same positive four times, if you like. Remember, the testing lab picked up minute amounts and the stuff may well take days to clear entirely from the system (I don't know this for a fact, btw, I'm just hypothesising!)

That's what I thought Yello but how does it explain the fact that his Clen, level went up from 7 on day 24 to 17 on day 25?

Did he take another dose that night? Surely it should decrease daily for Meatgate to stand up to scrutiny?

yello

how does it explain the fact that his Clen, level went up from 7 on day 24 to 17 on day 25?

It doesn't. It seems counter intuitive does it?

The only 'but' I can imagine is in the magnifying glass or microscope. That is, these amounts are SO minute and the tests so detailed, that maybe 7 to 17 is an expected deviation/anomaly in the results. Every lab test has a margin for error, perhaps the difference falls within that and is, as such, insignificant. Just because it seems like a big difference to us in pure numeric terms, it doesn't mean it is scientifically. I've not really explained that very well but I hope you get my drift.

Did he take another dose that night?

Well here I think you raise a very interesting point. Another minute dose of clenb? That makes no sense in terms of performance enhancing (or perhaps even practically). Another transfusion? Why? For what objective?

If one were to argue that the difference IS significant then I think the cause of the difference needs to be explained too. And, viewed in that context, it almost becomes an argument for the defence. Just how would Contador have gotten those differences in readings by doping. Maybe he had a tainted veal leftover sandwich after the sample on day 24! If it wasn't already farcical then it becomes more so now!

Again, I state for the record, imho I think he doped. But I also think there's more to the story.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Have you read this Yello?

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/columns/story?columnist=ford_bonnie_d&id=6069073

One authority didn't swallow the steak story. Christiane Ayotte, longtime director of the WADA-accredited lab in Montreal, was blunt with reporters in an informal media briefing in mid-October.

"You'll never find a ton of [clenbuterol] because the doses are really small," Ayotte said then, calling the beef excuse implausible. "Most of the samples are below 1 nanogram [a billionth of a gram]."

She added that her lab has seen many samples with levels as low as Contador's and that she considers them prima facie evidence of doping. Her scientific experience leads her to believe that athletes use low levels of the drug because of side effects that include headaches, high blood pressure and heart palpitations.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It has become a cycling pantomine.....

Bertie as the evil villain
McQuaid as the widow twanky
A comedy cow with an asthma inhaler played by the Schleck brothers
Spanish Prime Minister as Baron Hardup

"He's guilty!" cries the crowd
"Oh no he's not" cries the Baron
"Oh yes he is!"
repeat ad lib to fade.

Top Bottom