Currently Recovering from a Pacemaker Implant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Last week I was rushed into hospital and ended up needing a pacemaker, so no cycling for me for the next 4 weeks. Normally I cycle very regularly and consider myself fit for 53 - my BMI is 23 and I leave many youngsters behind on the hills :-)
15333712622_470760a6f1.jpg

For many years though I have been aware of a resting heart rate and blood pressure which (although within the range of "normal") are on the low side. I have also been aware of feeling light headed when standing up too quickly and the odd palpitation when lying down at night time. None of this gave me cause for concern because I figured if I was going to have a heart attack then it was going to be during a hill climb and I never experienced any problems with those.

However, about a year ago I blacked out as I was falling asleep at night and again as I was waking up the following morning. This prompted a whole load of tests, including a 24 hour ECG monitor which revealed everything to be normal. Unfortunately though, things deteriorated very quickly the weekend before last where I blacked out about 12 times each time as I was falling asleep. My wife took me to A&E, but because my vital signs improved so quickly, they sent me home again with instructions to contact my GP the following day. That night, the same thing happened again and so my wife took me back to A&E and dug her heels in until they admitted me to the "Acute Assessment Centre" for over night monitoring. As soon as the lights went out I passed out again while falling asleep and the ECG monitor showed my normal heart activity stopping for about 40 seconds with gaps of over 5 seconds between consecutive beats. The doctors immediately transferred me to the cardiac unit and the following day (after forcing myself to remain awake all night) I received a pacemaker implant.

The heart itself is in very good shape due to my cycling/fitness, but the problem is with the heart's wiring which means that while I am sleeping my normal heart activity stops, resulting in me blacking out and then (once the adrenalin kicks in and re-starts the heart's normal rhythm) waking up and feeling very unwell indeed. The pacemaker is therefore configured to kick in and take over when my resting heart rate drops below 60 beats per minute. Since being fitted I've had good night's sleeps, but I'm still feeling a quite anxious with the whole situation which came upon me with such speed.

During the actual operation (which was under a local anesthetic), I was chatting with the surgeon who is a keen jogger and I asked him if there was a correlation between this sort of heart problem and cycling. In his view there is a very definite correlation between endurance exercise and heart rhythm problems and this is a new phenomena not seen with previous generations. His explanation was that if you looked at our parents' generation they tended not to participate in such endurance exercises. However, both the surgeon and the cardiac consultant (who like myself rides a Bianchi) told me that I was doing exactly the right thing since the benefits of cycling far out weighed the disadvantages.

Long term the prospects are good and I should be able to return to a full active life, both work and social. There are however some situations to avoid relating to close proximity to RF signals and magnetism. This will mean using the phone/mobile on my other (right) ear, not carrying my mobile in my breast pocket and avoiding higher levels of RF. For example I will need to keep 3W RF devices at least 12" from my chest (this could be a problem for me given that my job involves professional 2-way radio).

Since the pacemaker only kicks in while I am resting then it should not interfere with my cycling, so in 4 weeks when I get back in the saddle, I fully intend building up my previous level of fitness and giving my cycling buddies a "good run for their money" again.

Last edited:
Blimey Jtb, what a shock. Sounds like you'll be back to your normal rhythm soon though. See what i did there....

Seriously, here's to a good recovery and many good nights sleep.

PK99

Legendary Member
a friend is in exactly the same position. His 24hr monitor showed him with a pulse of 20-24 sat at his desk working - when exercising he was fine.

Reactions: JtB

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hmmph - I'm currently going through assessments like your Jtb. Low HR (40 bpm) and BP plus a blacking out episode as well as frequent dizzy attacks. The blacking out episode has precipitated the assessments. Quack said eat more salt - which has raised my BP. Next week I have the 24 hr monitor jobbie fitted. Pacemaker has already been mentioned........ Yikes!

Glad it's all gone well for you under the circumstances Jtb

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
26by25 - when it comes to the heart, electrical problems are nothing compared to plumbing problems. The procedure lasts about 1 hour under local anaesthetic, you are discharged from hospital in 24 hours and the long term prospects are good. Many patients lack energy for years before the implant, then have much higher levels of energy afterwards. That's the thing I'm looking forward to now :-).

jhawk

Veteran
Hi Jtb, wishing you a speedy recovery.

My grandfather recently underwent the same procedure. Long-term prospects are good for him too, but he can't fly, etc... He's mid-seventies.

Lullabelle

Banana
Last week I was rushed into hospital and ended up needing a pacemaker, so no cycling for me for the next 4 weeks. Normally I cycle very regularly and consider myself fit for 53 - my BMI is 23 and I leave many youngsters behind on the hills :-)
15333712622_470760a6f1.jpg

For many years though I have been aware of a resting heart rate and blood pressure which (although within the range of "normal") are on the low side. I have also been aware of feeling light headed when standing up too quickly and the odd palpitation when lying down at night time. None of this gave me cause for concern because I figured if I was going to have a heart attack then it was going to be during a hill climb and I never experienced any problems with those.

However, about a year ago I blacked out as I was falling asleep at night and again as I was waking up the following morning. This prompted a whole load of tests, including a 24 ECG monitor which revealed everything to be normal. Unfortunately though, things deteriorated very quickly the weekend before last where I blacked out about 12 times each time as I was falling asleep. My wife took me to A&E, but because my vital signs improved so quickly, they sent me home again with instructions to contact my GP the following day. That night, the same thing happened again and so my wife took me back to A&E and dug her heels in until they admitted me to the "Acute Assessment Centre" for over night monitoring. As soon as the lights went out I passed out again while falling asleep and the ECG monitor showed my normal heart activity stopping for about 40 seconds with gaps of over 5 seconds between consecutive beats. The doctors immediately transferred me to the cardiac unit and the following day (after forcing myself to remain awake all night) I received a pacemaker implant.
The heart itself is in very good shape due to my cycling/fitness, but the problem is with the heart's wiring which means that while I am sleeping my normal heart activity stops, resulting in me blacking out and then (once the adrenalin kicks in and re-starts the heart's normal rhythm) waking up and feeling very unwell indeed. The pacemaker is therefore configured to kick in and take over when my resting heart rate drops below 60 beats per minute. Since being fitted I've had good night's sleeps, but I'm still feeling a quite anxious with the whole situation which came upon me with such speed.
During the actual operation (which was under a local anesthetic), I was chatting with the surgeon who is a keen jogger and I asked him if there was a correlation between this sort of heart problem and cycling. In his view there is a very definite correlation between endurance exercise and heart rhythm problems and this is a new phenomena not seen with previous generations. His explanation was that if you looked at our parents' generation they tended not to participate in such endurance exercises. However, both the surgeon and the cardiac consultant (who like myself rides a Bianchi) told me that I was doing exactly the right thing since the benefits of cycling far out weighed the disadvantages.

Long term the prospects are good and I should be able to return to a full active life, both work and social. There are however some situations to avoid relating to close proximity to RF signals and magnetism. This will mean using the phone/mobile on my other (right) ear, not carrying my mobile in my breast pocket and avoiding higher levels of RF. For example I will need to keep 3W RF devices at least 12" from my chest (this could be a problem for me given that my job involves professional 2-way radio).

Since the pacemaker only kicks in while I am resting then it should not interfere with my cycling, so in 4 weeks when I get back in the saddle, I fully intend building up my previous level of fitness and giving my cycling buddies a "good run for their money" again.

GWS, give those youngsters a run for their money :thumbsup:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
26by25 - when it comes to the heart, electrical problems are nothing compared to plumbing problems. The procedure lasts about 1 hour under local anaesthetic, you are discharged from hospital in 24 hours and the long term prospects are good. Many patients lack energy for years before the implant, then have much higher levels of energy afterwards. That's the thing I'm looking forward to now :-).
Sounds good Jtb. My energy levels have been lower than I'd like. Especially more so recently. Hope I don't need any intervention but que sera sera...

Do be sensible and recover at a sensible pace

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Hmmph - I'm currently going through assessments like your Jtb. Low HR (40 bpm) and BP plus a blacking out episode as well as frequent dizzy attacks. The blacking out episode has precipitated the assessments. Quack said eat more salt - which has raised my BP. Next week I have the 24 hr monitor jobbie fitted. Pacemaker has already been mentioned........ Yikes

I had that a couple of years back. Vasovagal syncope wotsit diagnosed by top cardiologist and told have a couple of Chinese take-aways a week (for salt) and exercise and eat like 'normal' people and not like a cycling freak. Blue lighted to hospital the very next day whilst wearing a 24 hour monitor. Stayed in hospital for 4 days with all sorts of tests, but found nada. Dizziness was eventually put down to migraine associated vertigo and comes nd goes to this day. Scary as feck at the time.......

Last edited by a moderator:

tony111

Veteran
When you get the energy back, can you clean our upstairs windows for me? GWS.

Top Bottom