Cycle helmets in Spain, what's the score.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DogmaStu

I didn't find a helmet alone offered much sun protection...

:laugh:

It depends upon the helmet, doesn't it. I have a few - the aero helmet offers a lot of protection and for short rides up to around 3 hours is fine in the heat.

The ventilated ones not so much protection, hence why I noted I wear a thin cap under those.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If we are on the pub bikes no helmet, but when on our road bikes going out to the hills we always wear helmets. Never had a pull by any plod,

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Do you have problems with overheating? 26-27 degrees that you mention certainly doesn't sound like enough to start overheating from wearing a helmet. In fact, I cycled at 40-42 and had no issues with that. Maybe get one that provides proper ventilation?

Drago

Legendary Member
The threshold is different for everyone. As a rough rule the bigger you are the less able you'll be to tolerate the heat as your surface area will be less as a ratio of your volume so youll be less able to radiate the excess heat away. I wander round in a muscle vest in January but suffer badly riding in the mid to high 20's or above.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, first proper ride today and did indeed get stopped by the constabulary. My defense of it being too hot didn't get me far. He said it is 'obligado' and not hot by their standards. Also informed me that if I don't wear one and crash I could die????

I got told I must wear one and sent on my way. Will pick one up tonight from the rental place or Decathlon just to avoid any further hassle. Can't say I didn't try.....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well, first proper ride today and did indeed get stopped by the constabulary. My defense of it being too hot didn't get me far. He said it is 'obligado' and not hot by their standards. Also informed me that if I don't wear one and crash I could die????

I got told I must wear one and sent on my way. Will pick one up tonight from the rental place or Decathlon just to avoid any further hassle. Can't say I didn't try.....
That reinforces my decision not to ride there until the law changes back. Thanks for trying.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That reinforces my decision not to ride there until the law changes back. Thanks for trying.

That's a real shame because the cycling is amazing, it's a sacrifice worth making.

However, helmet wearing hasn't been without its noticeable issues. General awareness is definitely reduced. Shoulder checks seem less effective, maybe due to the subconscious restriction of peripheral view due to helmet, or helmet and straps slightly dislodging sunglasses when turning head? Also sweating is now a problem. Previously, sweat is generally transported to drip from the peak of my cap, ok not nice if drip is blown onto my lips, but far preferable to the helmet situation of it running down my face into eyes (not great when combined with contact lenses) or dripping onto the inside of my sunglasses causing obscured vision. Couple of close misses, my fault, but stuff I would normally clock, maybe I just need to get used to wearing a helmet. IMO the helmet has reduced my safety, but as I said at the beginning of this thread, that's a separate debate. In general, if you want to cycle in Spain without breaking the law and getting into trouble, you do need to wear a helmet :sad:

Top Bottom