Cycle helmets in Spain, what's the score.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
However, helmet wearing hasn't been without its noticeable issues. General awareness is definitely reduced. Shoulder checks seem less effective, maybe due to the subconscious restriction of peripheral view due to helmet, or helmet and straps slightly dislodging sunglasses when turning head? Also sweating is now a problem. Previously, sweat is generally transported to drip from the peak of my cap, ok not nice if drip is blown onto my lips, but far preferable to the helmet situation of it running down my face into eyes (not great when combined with contact lenses) or dripping onto the inside of my sunglasses causing obscured vision. Couple of close misses, my fault, but stuff I would normally clock, maybe I just need to get used to wearing a helmet. IMO the helmet has reduced my safety, but as I said at the beginning of this thread, that's a separate debate. In general, if you want to cycle in Spain without breaking the law and getting into trouble, you do need to wear a helmet :sad:

Most of this sounds like cobblers to me.
Helmets (unless you're wearing some kind of downhill MTB full face design?) do not reduce awareness or vision in any way. They don't restrict peripheral view. If you normally wear a cap, wear it under your helmet, the sweat will still drip from the peak. If your too hot wearing a cap and a helmet, get a headband visor such as https://www.haloheadbanduk.com/product/halo-visorband/
Yes helmets can reduce heat loss from the head which can be a problem in hot climates, but not an insurmountable problem.

Drago

Legendary Member
Here we go...

A couple of thoughts.
Some in Catalonia will tell us that it is not Spain.
My experience is that it can certainly feel different to the rest of Spain (parts of the Basque country excepted). It's certainly a more rushed part of the world, social divisions are easier spotted and rural Catalonia is the only place where I was warned about bike security. Don't get me started on Barcelona!
The only negative interaction I had with the Police happened close to the Catalonian border.

It's possible, or at least it is for me, that it's not the helmet that makes me a bit slower to see things that I'd normally see quicker, but the temperature and especially the effect of intense sunlight for extended periods.
I have learned to "rest" my head frequently in shade.

The suggestion of avoiding Spain because of this law is just beyond my comprehension. Each to their own, however.

Finally, the notion of going to another country as a guest with the intention of breaking the law is an interesting one.
I've met all kinds of cyclists, Spanish and non, and strangely, the helmet debate has never arisen.

Sallar55

Veteran
Done lots of touring in Spain, even thro the barrios/suburbs into Barcelona and other big towns.. Barcelona can be a place to watch out for trouble,its only the tourist traps like in the Rambla.That applies to all major cities. Even camped in one of the semi permanent campings on the edge of the city and left the gear to go on a city bus tour. Its strange the it was just on one tour that i was pulled twice,perhaps it's just every now that the police target certain road traffic laws. Another plus about Spain is that we have never locked bikes up at a cafe or restaurant.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Helmets can be quite handy when you are lying on your back in the middle of the road in extreme agony with a broken spine and ribs, and you keep telling the ambulance team it's your back and not your head - look at the helmet 😉 not a scratch.

I always have a skull cap under my lid, that absorbs sweat and is evaporated by the vents. Could not wear a lid on its own. Tried that, just horrid with the sweat pouring down the front.

Also quite good for sun protection. 🌞

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most of this sounds like cobblers to me.
Helmets (unless you're wearing some kind of downhill MTB full face design?) do not reduce awareness or vision in any way.
Strap wind noise. It's so bad for some, but maybe not all, users that there are at least two products marketed to solve the problem.

If you normally wear a cap, wear it under your helmet,
Please check it is a helmet that doesn't instruct not to wear anything under it. If you're going to use one, it seems daft to misuse it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Please check it is a helmet that doesn't instruct not to wear anything under it. If you're
going to use one, it seems daft to misuse it.
This indeed. Manufacturers spend a fortune on development, only for us to negate it with this sort of thing. I remove my toupee before every ride.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Strap wind noise. It's so bad for some, but maybe not all, users that there are at least two products marketed to solve the problem.

Please check it is a helmet that doesn't instruct not to wear anything under it. If you're going to use one, it seems daft to misuse it.

Strap wind noise has never been a problem for me.
Seems unlikely that any helmet would state not to wear a thin cycling cap under it. My cycling cap is thinner than the hair I used to have 😂

Reactions: C R

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Strap wind noise has never been a problem for me.
I did say not all users seem to suffer it.
Seems unlikely that any helmet would state not to wear a thin cycling cap under it. My cycling cap is thinner than the hair I used to have 😂
At one time, Specialized helmet manuals warned against "voluminous hair" too! Search my old posts because I'm sure I've quoted and linked to it before.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I have a compromised solution if you want all the "protection" of a helmet but the fantastic looks as if you are not actually wearing it.

ploads%2F2015%2F10%2F20050939%2Fhelmet-head-double.jpg

How authentic is that!?

So how does it look?

b3f7547f15ae8207--helmet-design-motorcycle-helmets.jpg

Oh.....

Top Bottom