Cycle show NEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm popping on the train to get there and will wander round beer in hand and generally boring various manufactures to death. I may also indulge in pretending I'm looking for a new bike and that budget is unlimited. It's not of course, I can't afford the proverbial pot at the moment but it keeps me happy.
I'm also going to see if I can collect a huge amount of free tat too, maybe a plastic bag to carry my prizes home.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Got the tickets, booked the parking, going to give it a go. Looking forward to it. Will report later. ^_^
Does the parking need to be booked?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
No, it's the NEC, there's loads. It might be a little further to walk. You could always take a Brompton with you. :-)

Actually, it's not much of a walk but if you don't fancy it there's normally shuttle buses almost nobody bothers with.

Brandane

Legendary Member
No, it's the NEC, there's loads. It might be a little further to walk. You could always take a Brompton with you. :-)

Actually, it's not much of a walk but if you don't fancy it there's normally shuttle buses almost nobody bothers with.
Better still if travelling by car; drive to Hampton in Arden train station, park free if buying a train ticket (IIRC), then hop on one of the frequent trains for the one stop journey into the NEC.. Cheaper than the extortionate parking charges at the NEC, and more convenient too.

AyJay

Über Member
So we went today. Really enjoyed the day. So much to see. This is the first time I have been but will certainly be looking to go again. It was well worth the 330 mile round trip.

I went yesterday, had a brilliant time and spoke to Josh Ibbet, the chap who won the Transcontinental race, seemed a really nice lad.
Luckily for me it only involved a bout a 30 mile round trip.

You can't test ride anything. There maybe an area where there are bikes to ride. But not expensive stuff. More for kids, weird bikes and those learning to ride.

Despite having a trade ticket, I haven't bothered going this year. However, similar to last year, there's a massive area where there are loads of e-bikes available for test riding. This year it's even bigger with over 100 bikes available.

mustang1

Legendary Member
So we went today. Really enjoyed the day. So much to see. This is the first time I have been but will certainly be looking to go again. It was well worth the 330 mile round trip.
:eek:

U

User33236

Mrs SG and I went yesterday. There were a few exhibitors that were of particular interest to us and were very helpful answering our questions.

Is also saved me quite a bit of money as I was considering buying the Ultegra Di2 updgrade for one of my bikes. Shimano had one on their stand sitting on a turbo you could try out. I found the shifting laggy and harsh especially toward the bottom end of the cassette so will be sticking to the existing mechanical 6800 instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Mrs SG and I went yesterday. There were a few exhibitors that were of particular interest to us and were very helpful answering our questions.

Is also saved me quite a bit of money as I was considering buying the Ultegra Di2 updgrade for one of my bikes. Shimano had one on their stand sitting on a turbo you could try out. I found the shifting laggy and harsh especially toward the bottom emd of the cassette so will be sticking to the existing mechanical 6800 instead.
I also tried out the di2 on Shimano's stand today. I pretty much agree with what you say about it. The chain even came off the bottom of the cassette.

Luckily for me I had my mate jump on it too who has had ui2 for a good grew months and he said his feels nothing like this on the road. Clean crisp shifts every time and never once had the chain come off. I'm pretty confident that this problem was isolated to that bike as it seems to get reviewed really well. In fact, I can't remember reading anything negative about it from the digging I have done.

I'm gonna take a chance anyway!

U

User33236

I also tried out the di2 on Shimano's stand today. I pretty much agree with what you say about it. The chain even came off the bottom of the cassette.

Luckily for me I had my mate jump on it too who has had ui2 for a good grew months and he said his feels nothing like this on the road. Clean crisp shifts every time and never once had the chain come off. I'm pretty confident that this problem was isolated to that bike as it seems to get reviewed really well. In fact, I can't remember reading anything negative about it from the digging I have done.

I was wondering if it was clamped too tightly in the turbo (my son complained his otherwise perfectly shifting road bike always shofted poorly on the turbo till he backed the clamp off half a turn) or if the micro adjust had been messed with. Might see if I can arrange a proper road test somewhere before I either spend on it or rule it out once and for all.

Doyleyburger

Veteran

So what did you spend your money on @huwsparky ?:tongue:

Top Bottom