CycleChat End-to-End Relay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

Auntie Helen said:
The CycleChat magazine team has done the email route and it didn't work very well, due to complications of server settings. For now perhaps discussion can continue in this thread and if it takes off then perhaps Admin can be asked for a subforum for this.

agreed ............which is precisely why I suggested a hidden sub section Auntie Helen;)

Remembering how the jersey thread disintegrated into an unweildy mess that took hours to wade through I would recommend the sooner the better frankly.

How's the magazine formatting coming along ?:ohmy:

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
If Wigsie has started the ball rolling, shouldn't the next thing to do be to devise a route? It could take hours of mapmyride/bikely mapping, but it might be helpful for working out waypoints say 10 miles apart, then each rider can be assigned a 10 mile stint, or a block if they feel they can keep the pace. Some legs might be hilly and others at nighttime so that would need to be taken into account before someone volunteered for a particular leg.

I say we keep it all together in this thread until a few things are established. Apart from GWR, shouldn't RTTC be involved too since they are the keepers of all things End to End?

peanut

Will1985 said:
I say we keep it all together in this thread until a few things are established.

thats not a good idea Will .

We already have 4 pages of responses for everyone to wade through .
Its clear that you haven't bothered to read those 4x pages or you will have seen that i have already suggested mapping the route and voluteered to help do it.:ohmy:

Do you see the problem ?

In another 2x days we are going to have 13+ pages and it is going to be physically impossible for everyone to try and read through every post and keep up to date with what has been suggested and agreed.

You only have to look at the problem we had with a simple 30 mile ride in Somerset recently that grew to 20 odd pages

We must start organising this thing now or it will become a complete nightmare by tomorrow.

As we are the first two to volunteer to map the route why don't we share it. I have already stated to do Somerset . We will probably need the help of others to do their local sections

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
I read the thread yesterday... just happens that the one thing I forget was one of your sentences.

Btw, I only have one page at the moment - increase the number of posts per page.

Tynan

Veteran
This will take a shoot load of organising, suggest you want two people for every leg as even with the best of intentions people will forget or not make their legs

if the route is vaguely direct, it goes nowhere near London does it?

There's going to be some long old legs in the less populated ares of the CC world

peanut

re Route mapping.

May I suggest that we use BIKEHIKE to map each of the 50 individual routes.
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/

The advantages of this are

1. You get an exact profile of where all hills are and accurate altitude

2. The map is extremely quick to load , simple and uncluttered to use

3. no membership required

4 There is no advertising and animation to slow down the page loading like MAPMYRIDE has.

5 Access to the routes can be made private or limited

it takes up to 20+ seconds to load a single page on the Mapmyride site.

peanut

Will1985 said:
Btw, I only have one page at the moment - increase the number of posts per page.

How is that going to help Will ????:biggrin:

you'll still have exactly the same number of posts tpo wade through won't you .?;)

you are missing the point here i feel

Tynan

Veteran
'it takes up to 20+ seconds to load a single page on this site . '

does it?

and I apologise for making it clear that I hadn't read all the posts before posting, tsk

with respect to all involved we aren't to be the class of anything better than keen commuters are we? perhaps some club riders here and there?

anything half serious will beat us when they want to so lets obsess too much about pace

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Tynan said:
'it takes up to 20+ seconds to load a single page on this site . '

does it?

and I apologise for making it clear that I hadn't read all the posts before posting, tsk

with respect to all involved we aren't to be the class of anything better than keen commuters are we? perhaps some club riders here and there?

anything half serious will beat us when they want to so lets obsess too much about pace
We have Bonj - he's fully serious!! ;)

I'd be interested for anything Manchester-esque. I echo Tynan's point about a large quantity of riders/areas being missed out... would it be worth doing an end-to-end but more of a 3,000 miler (or similar) which winds it's way from end-to-end taking in some of the more densely populated areas?

Just a thought.

peanut

if you think a 850 mile ride would take some organising how much do you think it would take to organise a random 3000 mile route ?;)

You cannot be serious( McEnro voice) :rolleyes:

As you say Tynan we don't need to worry about speed because as far as I know it has never been done before so we will set the record to beat no matter what time we set.We can be as slow as we like.

Can't think how anyone could organise a similar ride easily but we had better stop arguing amongst ourselves and changing the original concept etc and start doing something constructive before some other forum has the same idea and gets there before us.

peanut

Sh4rkyBloke said:
'Tis a very fair point - ignore me. ;):rolleyes:

Can't ignore you sh4rkybloke :biggrin: you are doing one of the hilly sections lol.

Riteden all youse wot volunteered to do said hilly bits...... take one step forward.
Oi! ...where you goin sh4rky:biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'd be very happy to do 10 or 15 mile section in rural Northumberland... pick up baton in Ponteland from someone arriving from Gateshead and pass on to someone near Morpeth?

Top Bottom