Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buddfox

Veteran
For additional entertainment, I just finished reading 'We Were Young and Carefree', 'Rough Ride' and 'Slaying the Badger' in quick succession. All excellent books in their own right (as covered above) but it was particularly enjoyable to get the very different perspectives on the same races in the three books. So Fignon's views on the 83 - 86 Tours, Kimmage's suffering on the big climbs in 86 whilst you get the coverage of the leaders in 'Slaying...', adds additional perspective to some of the greatest Tours.

Happiness Stan

Ned Boulting's books are a good read, well written and entertaining, while being insightful at times. Alos some very funny anecdotes.
I have just read HUNGER, the Sean Kelly autobiog of the hard man himself. Every aspiring rider who wants to know what it takes to be a pro should read that. He's actually a good guy when you can get him to chat, with a very dry sense of humour.
Does he mention the drugs he took?

Since xmas i have read the following. I can expand on the books if asked too but so far as follows:

Charly Weglius - 9-10. Outstanding book. Reads like someone who loves the sport to the point of discomfort. He see's no other way to live his life. Through his career he grows to become one of the most respected domestiques in the pro peloton. I am ashamed to say i had no idea who he was prior to reading. It is my understanding that he is more famous now in retiring.

Mark Cavendish at Speed - 7-10. Interesting reading because he is such an interesting character. Everything he does reeks of personality. Sometimes he comes across as arrogant and over confident but as a whole he reads as someone who is the biggest fan of bike racing on earth. A great read but if you dislike Cav then i wouldn't recommend.

Va Va Froome - 8-10. I found myself not wanting to like this but is suppose in the end i did. He says some daft things throughout which makes you realise that his spat with Wiggins wasn't out of disrespect or bad taste it was merely naivety, in a big way. He has no idea at all RE cycling tactics or ethics, due to his upbringing in Kenya. At worst, in the TDF 2012, he was over eager and completely out of his depth in terms of his role - the one he signed up to Sky for. A good read but with the odd annoying line or 2. I did appreciate though that he is one of the most determined athletes in todays world. Not much seems to phase him.

I have a few more to read and will post back.

Charly Weglius - 9-10. Outstanding book. Reads like someone who loves the sport to the point of discomfort. He see's no other way to live his life. Through his career he grows to become one of the most respected domestiques in the pro peloton. I am ashamed to say i had no idea who he was prior to reading. It is my understanding that he is more famous now in retiring.

Can't agree with this at all - IMO he completely missed an opportunity to tell more; although I am not expecting him to tell all I cannot believe he knew nothing about the doping that went on, especially as he rode with Italian teams in the 90s! He speaks highly of Di Luca as a leader, and whilst his account sounds as if he was a good "leader" in terms of motivating his team, he was a doper of the highest order. Before I read the book I held him in high regard, but now I am not so sure - I'm "confused" about my view of him now, probably because I think he's a probably a great big doper or at least a great big "apologist" but not wanting to face up to that. All in I thought the book started off well and then went downhill, and he should have just not bothered.

And without wanting to sound like a complete dick, how could you not have heard of him!?

Can't agree with this at all - IMO he completely missed an opportunity to tell more; although I am not expecting him to tell all I cannot believe he knew nothing about the doping that went on, especially as he rode with Italian teams in the 90s! He speaks highly of Di Luca as a leader, and whilst his account sounds as if he was a good "leader" in terms of motivating his team, he was a doper of the highest order. Before I read the book I held him in high regard, but now I am not so sure - I'm "confused" about my view of him now, probably because I think he's a probably a great big doper or at least a great big "apologist" but not wanting to face up to that. All in I thought the book started off well and then went downhill, and he should have just not bothered.

And without wanting to sound like a complete dick, how could you not have heard of him!?
Hadn't heard of him because well, i hadn't heard of him. Sure that clears that up.

As for the doping stance well yes sure he said Di Luca was a great leader but he also said he was a doper. Maybe you could read into this that everyone was doping and Di Luca was merely one that got caught. Maybe you could assume he understood the pressures applied to those of limited ability, especially to those who might find themsleves out of a job. It is abundantly clear that many pro's are not much more than grown children with no real idea of what goes on in the real world - mainly due to the secluded lives they lead in order to become the thing they have dreamed of since single figures.

As for your claims that he was a doper, well do you have any evidence to suggest this was the case? Otherwise it appears no more than mudslinging because a rider was from a certain era?

Also try to remember that this is a book written from his perspective, not how you wish to perceive him.

As for your claims that he was a doper, well do you have any evidence to suggest this was the case? Otherwise it appears no more than mudslinging because a rider was from a certain era?

As I said I am confused, no claims that he WAS a doper - I said he was either a doper or an "apologist". But for someone who stated at the start of his book that he was not going to focus on doping he sure as hell went a long way to try to convince the reader that he was clean despite his high tests, his "appeal" to the <not very believable> UCI, and then to highlight how important high altitude training was...if someone is "naturally high" then I doubt this! But as I say, I am confused. I just can't accept his book as being accurate - much in the same way as I don't think Piers Morgan really did get Rolf Harris's full life story :whistle:

As I said I am confused, no claims that he WAS a doper - I said he was either a doper or an "apologist". But for someone who stated at the start of his book that he was not going to focus on doping he sure as hell went a long way to try to convince the reader that he was clean despite his high tests, his "appeal" to the <not very believable> UCI, and then to highlight how important high altitude training was...if someone is "naturally high" then I doubt this! But as I say, I am confused. I just can't accept his book as being accurate - much in the same way as I don't think Piers Morgan really did get Rolf Harris's full life story :whistle:
His blood values raised my brows also but i maintain his story is a good one. Until i hear evidence in opposition to his opinion i believe what he says. That is my opinion.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
A little bit different to the racing books but The Man Who Cycled The World by Mark Beaumont was a good read for me.

I found Beaumont's book frustrating - I couldn't see the point of going around the world and seeing so little of it. I think you're right to include it here though - it's more of a racing book than it is a travel book.

Top Bottom