Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found Beaumont's book frustrating - I couldn't see the point of going around the world and seeing so little of it. I think you're right to include it here though - it's more of a racing book than it is a travel book.

I agree. If you're so desperate to go round the world as quickly as possible, why didn't he just go to the North or South Pole and do a quick 360 degrees around the top/bottom of the planet? Would only take, what, 10 seconds. Wouldn't have made for a best-selling book, though.

LimeBurn

Über Member
I found Beaumont's book frustrating - I couldn't see the point of going around the world and seeing so little of it. I think you're right to include it here though - it's more of a racing book than it is a travel book.
I quite enjoyed it - didn't frustrate me as at the end of the day he was doing it to break the world record - if it was me then yes I would have spent more time seeing the world and getting the experience but I thought it was quite well written and seemed to go at a decent pace without getting samey if you know what I mean. It was a long time ago when I read it though as I got it when I went to see his lecture for the books release.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
Currently reading "The Hour, Sporting immortality the hard way" by Michael Hutchinson. Very good, very funny, enoying it enormously ^_^

This might be old news which I have missed, but I have just spotted that there is a movie documentary, Slaying the Badger (same name as the book, hence putting it here rather than starting a new thread), due to premiere at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival.

Hopefully it will be available to view either at a cinema or DVD form sometime soon.

Just reading Yates's book, It's All About The Bike. It's good. Lots of anecdotes about other riders such as Robert Millar being tight. He used to park his car in the short stay at the airport, fly out, come back, get a trolley push it to the in gate and fool the sensors into thinking he was a car, get a ticket which was free for twenty minutes, then get the car out. Another one about the Nissan Classic in which Roche says yates went past him downhill like he was on a suicide mission and Roche jumped on his wheel convinced they'd both die on the descent but he couldn't let him go. Yates won the stage and Roche took the jersey. There's other stuff in there about how Yate's helped model the Sky team of 2012/13 on the 7-eleven team of 1990, keeping everyone together as an A team.

I thought I might not like Yates. I thought that all the suspicion was justified, now I'm far from sure and I find I like him, a lot. There's nothing so far about doping and he sets his stall out on that right at the beginning. basically if you want to talk about, you're reading the wrong book and he's not interested in what a bunch of internet conspirators are saying anyway and I suspect he's heavily moderated his language on that one.

Half way through, so far, very good.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Been a while since I posted in this thread, but I have done a little bit of on-topic reading...
David Walsh's Seven Deadly Sins (the original hardback edition, from the library, rather than the paperback which has a few updates covering the Oprah interview etc). Excellent account of LA's doping and Walsh's dealings with him. Some (including me) read his annual Sunday Times article about Armstrong and groaned. The book makes clear, apart from just how right Walsh was all along, that he didn't want to be right, just as he didn't want to be right about Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche before him. At times it's touching (as when he recalls the death of his son John), sometimes funny, and always compelling. Lots of great anecdotes and observations- he points out that Tyler Hamilton wasn't that good at doping to get caught three times ;)

Currently working my way through Tim Moore's French Revolutions. Side-splittingly funny, witty, and probably quite a few been-there-done-that moments for most of us. After that, I have Walsh's Inside Team Sky and Juliet Macur's Cycle of Lies.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I am back reading the monuments, just finished the Paris - roubaix section. good read, and some of the descriptor of conditions and kit are astonishing.

Found walsh's seven deadly sins made me unlike him more than Armstrong. Comes over a bit too obsessed with Armstrong, and that he ignored his family in the process. Gets cringe in his love for betsy, he speaks of her like she is mother Theresa, when she was the happy wife of a doper until he stopped getting paid to ride then she became this moral crusader, who gives out information on people's hospital visits.

I thought I might not like Yates. I thought that all the suspicion was justified, now I'm far from sure and I find I like him, a lot. There's nothing so far about doping and he sets his stall out on that right at the beginning. basically if you want to talk about, you're reading the wrong book and he's not interested in what a bunch of internet conspirators are saying anyway and I suspect he's heavily moderated his language on that one.

Funny that, just the other day he was blaming them for his demise at Sky...

Funny that, just the other day he was blaming them for his demise at Sky...
He does that too. I perhaps could have phrased it differently.

Anyway I just read another chapter where at the end he defends Armstrong's right to hold on to his 7 titles and effectively says the winners of the past did what they needed to do but notes that the attitudes of today's cyclists are entirely different. So far, the only sour moment of the book.

fimm

Veteran
Am I the only person who didn't find "French Revolutions" all that funny?
(Apart from the section where he tries to pee while riding his bike, and discovers that it is quite difficult if you can't ride no-handed...)

I have just finished a history of the Tour de France called "A Race for Madmen" which I thought was interesting, especially the early years. I don't know how it compares to other similar books, however.

(Edit: always re-read the thread first. "A Race for Madmen" has been mentioned and recommended several times already...)

Last edited:

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
The Times published extracts from Nicole Cooke's forthcoming book, Breakaway, at the weekend. Not sure what to make of them - they came across as a bit bitter and self-justifying, though that might have just been the way they were edited.

And in other news, went into the local discount bookshop the other day and they were clearing out for a refurb - fill a bag with all the books you can for a pound. Picked up 'We were young and carefree' and one or two others. There were a lot of LA books on the shelf that no-one was touching, even at 6p each...

Top Bottom