Cycling haters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
buggi said:
what i was most shocked about riding through france was some teenagers standing on the side of the road applauding us.

i couldn't get my head around it, i expected an egg to be thrown any minute, but it naver came.

what are the chances of that in the UK?
On the FNRttC, surprisingly often. Mind you, this is at about 2am not 2pm

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User482 said:
I deliberately stand in the way of (adult) pavement cyclists.

I mean too but a sort of automatic politeness makes me step to the side and then think why did I do that...?

marinyork said:
I hope you do the same for adult pavement car drivers.

I have been known to deliberately stand on the edge of the pavement with the bike when cars are trying to squeeze through a small gap to prevent them mounting the pavement (usually with kids the other side of me). Some how I'm not polite to cars in that situation. Today I just shock my head at the van driver who mounted the kerb to drive past me rather than wait for 10 secs.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Noodley said:
Grass, greener.

Yes, in that I've cycled in France and it was much nicer than here. In that respect the grass was definitely greener over there. Ok, they don't really know how to make tea, but I could cope - if I lived there, I'd have my own kettle.

I liked it when people stood in their front gardens and shouted "Allez!" and "Chapeau!". And despite being on 'odd' bikes (8 recumbents in one go is a fine site), no one seemed to think the idea of cycling somewhere was odd at all (it was the bikes that elicited comment), and no cafe/bar owner minded us eating our bakery bought pastries mid morning while we drank our coffees.

Heaven. Can't wait to get back there. Roll on summer 2010.

U

User482

Arch said:
Yes, in that I've cycled in France and it was much nicer than here. In that respect the grass was definitely greener over there. Ok, they don't really know how to make tea, but I could cope - if I lived there, I'd have my own kettle.

I liked it when people stood in their front gardens and shouted "Allez!" and "Chapeau!". And despite being on 'odd' bikes (8 recumbents in one go is a fine site), no one seemed to think the idea of cycling somewhere was odd at all (it was the bikes that elicited comment), and no cafe/bar owner minded us eating our bakery bought pastries mid morning while we drank our coffees.

Heaven. Can't wait to get back there. Roll on summer 2010.

You see, this is why I must get off my lazy behind and organise a channel to the med tour.

mangaman

Arch said:
Because we're rapidly becoming a shithole.... I reckon I'll emigrate once I've saved up and decided between France, Denmark, Holland and Germany - and I've never even been to Holland or Germany yet!

Spain's great - if you like the hot weather. (and avoid the Costas)

Even emptier roads than France and great people. Last time I was there, struggling pathetically up a small hill through a tiny village, the whole clientele of all the cafes in the square I was going through were cheering me on. (In a nice way, rather than a sarcastic British way)

I've had the same in France but I find French dogs too scary ;)

Spanish dogs even on farms just lie around too tired and hot to do anything

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah, hot weather not so good for me - well, not if I have to do anything other than lie in the shade drinking cool drinks of various kinds.

I'm starting to have a plan, and the more I say it, the more I have to do it. Once the Phd is done, get job, pay off overdraft, save up a bit and bog off round Europe and see where it leads me. It's way outside my comfort zone - I like things planned and booked ahead, but the more I think about it, the more I think I could....

Is 40+ a bit late to have a gap year?;)

mangaman

Arch said:
Ah, hot weather not so good for me - well, not if I have to do anything other than lie in the shade drinking cool drinks of various kinds.

I'm starting to have a plan, and the more I say it, the more I have to do it. Once the Phd is done, get job, pay off overdraft, save up a bit and bog off round Europe and see where it leads me. It's way outside my comfort zone - I like things planned and booked ahead, but the more I think about it, the more I think I could....

Is 40+ a bit late to have a gap year?;)

Sounds cool to me! I'd love it if I could

With an archaeology PhD could you top up your income by working on a few digs around Europe. Obviously they wouldn't pay much, but presumably put you up in a tent or something, feed you and pay enough for you to get to the next place?

Arch

Married to Night Train
mangaman said:
Sounds cool to me! I'd love it if I could

With an archaeology PhD could you top up your income by working on a few digs around Europe. Obviously they wouldn't pay much, but presumably put you up in a tent or something, feed you and pay enough for you to get to the next place?

Hmm, I suppose it's possible...

Just at the moment, I never want to touch archaeology again, but I gather thats the standard effect of a PhD....;)

Mind you, I have rudimentary French, and no other languages! This really is pretty brave, for me!

mangaman

Arch said:
Mind you, I have rudimentary French, and no other languages!

Don't be too hard on yourself - your English seems to be OK ;)

Seriously though, that's the beauty of my cunning plan - I bet at least a few people on an archaeological site anywhere would speak English - especially if you're sticking to Northerly parts of Europe.

Top Bottom