Cycling with headphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Quite a few people have them:

https://www.cyclechat.net/search/6706405/?q=aftershokz&o=relevance

Personally - I have never tried them and am a fan of no headphones/music whilst riding.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Absolutely barking idea.

1 - You need your wits about you and your hearing unhindered when cycling.

2 - Having tried listening to music while skiing and been shocked at the reckless way it made me ski, I reckon music while cycling might have a similar effect.

Wafer

Veteran
I got a pair of the wired ones a while ago, had some issues with them not working sometimes, but when they are, it's been fine. Can listen to music/podcasts and still hear what's going on around. Use them for walking the dog sometimes for the same reason.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So talk me through the science. Why is this any different from having conventional earphones but set to a volume that is effectively the same? Earphones are not earplugs, they don't stop external noise in themselves.

So talk me through the science. Why is this any different from having conventional earphones but set to a volume that is effectively the same? Earphones are not earplugs, they don't stop external noise in themselves.
Depends on the earbuds, there are a lot that are 'noise-isolating' like these, so should do the same thing as earplugs.
I liked the aftershokz I had (wired, but the cable gave up eventually). Good for running in as they got round the falling out of sweaty ears problem I have with in-ear ones.
You are a lot more aware of surrounding noise but the downside is they aren't good when its windy, or at speed on the bike (not as though I have that as a problem), but then I've had traffic surprise me when its been really windy anyway without any headphones.
More like having a bit of background music on in most situations.

The bass is excellent, as you literally hear it through your bones (ok, I know you literally hear everything through bones, but you get what I mean). Oddly enough, it's the treble that can suffer against wind noise at speed, or traffic noise. I wear a pair on my commute sometimes, along 11 miles of incredibly noisy cyclepath next to a busy 70mph dual carriageway, and music is still great but speech podcasts can get a little lost. If you're happy to cycle with headphones (and I certainly am), then I'd recommend them.

Top Bottom