Cycling with headphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
whilst listening to very loud progressive house music and other heavy beats.

Mickle. You have just gone way up in my estimation. Its all about the bass!

I always pop my left earphone out when coming up to overtake another cyclist on my morning commute, in order to not appear rude or miss any 'good morning's, but I've not seen anyone in the past few weeks who doesn't have both 'phones firmly in! This is on a long section of cycle 'path' adjacent to the A127, which is noisy as anything, and it makes me think that the other users must ride along wondering who that bloke is who's always fiddling with his left ear as he passes :laugh:

SD1

[QUOTE 4033977, member: 76"]Your hearing is unhindered. They don't go in your ears, they sit in front of your ears and you can hear as well as ever, but with added music![/QUOTE]
No chance can't hear well enough to hear a car anyway!!

As long as they ban car stereos as well, how are they going to hear cyclists when they are in the their cars with music on.

... and ban windows in cars as well?

Research recently showed that the loss in hearing between an open and closed window is of a similar level to that of a cyclist or pedestrian with headphones on a medium volume

Why are drivers allowed to inhibit their hearing in this way?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
... and ban windows in cars as well?

Research recently showed that the loss in hearing between an open and closed window is of a similar level to that of a cyclist or pedestrian with headphones on a medium volume

Why are drivers allowed to inhibit their hearing in this way?

Might not wind noise inhibit hearing somewhat?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I do and I love them.

I've had my Aftershokz Bluez for about 15 months or so now and use them when I ride alone. Mine are the bluetooth ones. When I'm approaching junctions/busy areas through town etc, I just hit the pause button on the headset so no music then. When I'm out on the open road I listen to music - not loudly, just as background. Something with a good beat will get me up hills ^_^ - and lets face it, I need all the help I can get, being a flatlander and all.

Mine were £85 in Summer 2014, well worth the money for me. I also use them for walking the dogs, doing the gardening etc. I can link them to my iPhone so can even field a phone call (go away, I'm riding my bike) if necessary. £40 is a total bargain.
Just to add, that I can hear my tyre noise on the road, while listening to music. They do not impair my all round hearing while wearing them. It's a bit like listening to the radio in the car, although I do pause at busy places, as I've said before. Sometimes I need to really concentrate on every bit of riding so I don't listen then.

I wouldn't dream of having 2 earbuds in my ears, while riding now. Nor would I dream of using those big 'cyberman' headphones while walking or riding. I only use my 'proper' headphones, indoors for playing guitar.

Julia9054

Guru
I do and I love them.

I've had my Aftershokz Bluez for about 15 months or so now and use them when I ride alone. Mine are the bluetooth ones. When I'm approaching junctions/busy areas through town etc, I just hit the pause button on the headset so no music then. When I'm out on the open road I listen to music - not loudly, just as background. Something with a good beat will get me up hills ^_^ - and lets face it, I need all the help I can get, being a flatlander and all.

Mine were £85 in Summer 2014, well worth the money for me. I also use them for walking the dogs, doing the gardening etc. I can link them to my iPhone so can even field a phone call (go away, I'm riding my bike) if necessary. £40 is a total bargain.
Just to add, that I can hear my tyre noise on the road, while listening to music. They do not impair my all round hearing while wearing them. It's a bit like listening to the radio in the car, although I do pause at busy places, as I've said before. Sometimes I need to really concentrate on every bit of riding so I don't listen then.

I wouldn't dream of having 2 earbuds in my ears, while riding now. Nor would I dream of using those big 'cyberman' headphones while walking or riding. I only use my 'proper' headphones, indoors for playing guitar.
I think £40 is for the wired rather than the Bluetooth ones.

Top Bottom