Cyclist down 8 weeks ago.. the aftermath:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kurt909

9fe8RZY.jpg

How I hear you ask?

Well, my fault I suppose. I say 50/50 my fault their fault.

Couple with their dog, not on a leader, didn't pull it to the side. I did slow down but obviously not enough. At the very last second the dog jumped in my path, I slammed the brakes and flew over handlebars.. Unaware of how strong my brakes actually were.

A broken radius bone, off work for 8 weeks, metal plate inside.

Basically just want to remind people that you cannot predict what dogs will do. Now I actually get off and walk when I pass a mutt.

Try kicking it, then the nobbers who own it.

Hope you're back to full strength soon.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
When passing one I slow to a walking pace, sometimes less..and unclip one foot.. Basically so if need be I can put a foot down whilst breaking to a stop. Assuming I'm close to it and it's on a lead. Not many free dogs around the town roads.

But yes, agreed, very unpredictable.
Looks like you're healing up well though. :cheers:

jeltz

Veteran
As a dog owner I keep them on lead when I am likely to encounter bicycles. They should have had their animals under control at all times and they didn't, bad owners IMHO.

Glad you are healing well.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'm a dog owner and I keep mine on lead when there is a chance of encountering cyclists. I don't want my dogs run over nor do I want them causing an accident like the one you experienced. You slowed down, the dog was not in control so not your fault at all.
I got knocked off into the canal when riding on the towpath in N Staffs. Loose dog came out of nowhere and went for me. Happily, it didn't follow me in. Owners then arrived and berated me for hurting Popsie!!

yello

Well I didn't do a thorough risk assessment. I shouldve known what could have happened. Then again I tend to blame myself for a lot of things!

Yep, you're being hard on yourself. Why should you have known what was going to happen? What are you? A soothsayer! ;)

Nope, you had every reason to expect the owners to control their dog. If you expect yourself to cover every possible outcome then you'd never move! So I wouldn't personally say you did anything wrong... but I'll bet you'll be more wary next time you confront a dog!

young Ed

Veteran
ahhhhh! nasty one that :sad:
only reason i still have awful brakes rather than 105 or ultegra etc, i just don't think i will be able to handle the sheer power and effectiveness!

we have one semi retired gun dog (labrador) and she is always on lead unless off the road or working and i would treat any other working dog like that, not much good with pets here as i just treat them as a working dog :tongue:
Cheers Ed

Ganymede

Veteran
Couple with their dog, not on a leader, didn't pull it to the side. I did slow down but obviously not enough. At the very last second the dog jumped in my path,
That's the bit you mean, isn't it? That you clocked that they didn't bother to control their dog, so you blame yourself a bit. Personally I think that noticing this would have been such a split-second thing - and frankly more of a (very tough) learning situation for you than genuinely your fault. You could maybe blame yourself if it happened again, I think! And I hope the couple concerned keep their hound on a lead from now on, having seen the damage it can do to a human being through no fault of its own.

Crankarm

Guru
Are you going to sue the owner of the dog?

You might as well as you've lost earnings plus gained a rather unsightly scar and all that pain, suffering and trauma plus no doubt damage to your bike.

Mile195

Veteran
As a dog owner myself, If it was a dedicated tarmac'd cycle path I would treat it like a road and keep him on the lead. If it was just a bit of common land that anyone can use then probably not. If it was the former though, perhaps you do have some entitlement at least for damage to your bike - Do you have third party insurance? If so, the insurance company can probably advise.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
If it is a shared path/ common ground then it isn't the owners fault. Basically if the dogs are allowed off the lead, then you must assume they will be daft - go slow, cover the brakes, assume the worst.

Sara_H

Guru
Not your fault at all, us dog owners are obliged to keep our dogs under control. They can be unpredictable, I keep mine on a lead all the time now as he's quite difficult to manage off lead.

My route to work goes through a park that's really popular with dog walkers so I tend to go slow and cover the brakes, had a few near misses but luckily no human or canine blood spilt.

Top Bottom