Cyclist down 8 weeks ago.. the aftermath:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm with the 50/50 crowd. Shared use, rider has responsibility for not hitting other users. Dog owners have responsibility for controlling dog.

Steppylud

Über Member
If it is a shared path/ common ground then it isn't the owners fault. Basically if the dogs are allowed off the lead, then you must assume they will be daft - go slow, cover the brakes, assume the worst.

Agree with this entirely. I own two dogs, and walk a path with them off lead and people ride the path also, my dog is stupid and always seems to run towards bikes and I do my best to alert him to an oncoming bike, but on some occasions he has run right in front of people.

If you are not going to fast on a footpath and are aware of your surroundings then there should be no reason for an accident in my opinion.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It would be reasonable to ask that dog owners, using a shared path, should keep any dog- that won't come to heel- on a fixed lead as you would on a pavement.
Even dogs that come to heel, tbh.

Granted, my experience is mostly of terriers, but even the best trained can let their enthusiasms get the best of them. Our dog goes on lead unless we're in massive empty fields, or massive empty beaches. I'd walk any dog on lead when on a path or shared path.

As for those extendable leads, bah, bah and thrice bah. Impossible to see the damned things once the light fades, they're a bloody menace!

OP
OP
kurt909

kurt909

I had a rant at someone on today's ride..

Firstly, I rang my bell about 4 times, she was on her mobile and continued to walk in the middle of the path!
Her spaniel was out of site on the leader. I was going about 3mph at this point as I've learned from my accident to do so.

The dog runs out from the bush and starts licking my leg.

I got off and showed her my scar and said "I know this is a shared path, but you have the same responsibility as I do to control your dog. And you should listen out for bells"

I've applied for anger management.. Joke haha.

Steppylud

Über Member
I just hope that the fuss and noise I make at my dog when a bike is coming alerts the cyclist to the fact that my dog is stupid and to give him a wide slow berth. ^_^

Tynan

Veteran
accident caused by rider's use of brakes surely?

I did that twice on the same ride home from a service once, the brakes were splendid but on the two instances I put them on sharpish they instantly locked the front and sent me over the bars

sidevalve

Über Member
Try kicking it, then the nobbers who own it.

Hope you're back to full strength soon.
Great idea - then try doing that to a small child and it's parents [and see how long you stay out of jail] after all they are equally unpredictable critters and you of course being on a bicycle have total right of way everywhere you choose to go.

Great idea - then try doing that to a small child and it's parents [and see how long you stay out of jail] after all they are equally unpredictable critters and you of course being on a bicycle have total right of way everywhere you choose to go.

Try to develop a sense of humour, or at least try to understand what irony is. (I take it you're not British, are you?).

Irony: - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

sheffgirl

I come across a lot of did walkers in the woods (its a bridle path frequentedby ccyclists amongst others). Most are great, and control their dogs, I always slow anyway just on case, dogs are unpredictable (and people too). There are the odd few silly dogs and oblivious owners though. I once shouted at someone to call their dog off because it was chasing me when I was going slow, and it looked suspiciously like a dog that, a while back, took an irrational dislike to me, and jumped on me once (whilst walking).

Top Bottom