Cyclist down 8 weeks ago.. the aftermath:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Kurt, i have exactly the same scar and plate as you. In time you wont even notice it.

I see you do have a bell on you bike and you do use it. I have bells on all my bikes, even my road bike, it is surprising how many road bikes dont. I always use it when approaching dog walkers. It makes no difference if they are walking towards me or away from me. It gives them chance to get a firm grip of the dog.

Steve

byegad

Legendary Member
This is a good advert for avoiding shared use paths. As I do.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rode Cannock the other day. At a junction of one bike trail section and a fire road I saw two women with four Border Collies. One of them started barking and rushed at me so I stopped and waited for the woman to call the dog over to her. Now I love dogs, but Collies can be a bit nippy, I suppose it's their herding instinct, so I didn't want to do anything that frightened the dog. She got it near her and I set off, but the dog shot back in front of me and did that half-backing-away thing whilst snarling. The dog was clearly in a dilemma. It didn't really know whether I was a threat and was clearly wanted to protect its pack, so I decided I would remain silent and calm and let the woman get the dog under control. I reckoned that if I set off again either the dog would go for me or get under the wheels, so for all of our sakes I simply sat on my bike and waited. The woman made a great show of putting the dog on a lead, and as soon as she had I set off again. At which the woman called out "Miserable Bast*rd!" I'm afraid I told her about my take on the shared responsibilities of controlling dogs in a shared environment in order to prevent injury to all parties. Just not in as many words.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
What you need is one of these.....:whistle:
DSC_0336.JPG

Top Bottom