Cyclist down Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The CCTV stuff has them bang to rights.

Don't worry about liability, it's clear cut. The issue is you and that shoulder. I got scooped rather than side on like you, but my shoulder got mangled just enough to be a problem for 4 years. Got fixed eventually.

I notice you got a bad off with a silly ped last year.

Please don't give up on cycling. Crap happens sometimes and it sometimes just comes on after another is fixed (I am there now) so keep at it. Hopefully you should get the bike replaced soon, push for that to be sorted, but hold off for injuries, as by experience, shoulders don't like that, neither do hips.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Please don't give up on cycling. Crap happens sometimes and it sometimes just comes on after another is fixed (I am there now) so keep at it. Hopefully you should get the bike replaced soon, push for that to be sorted, but hold off for injuries, as by experience, shoulders don't like that, neither do hips.
I've no intention of giving up cycling. I'm already eyeing up my replacement bike!

MattyKo

Hello all

This was me on Sunday 1 June after a 55 miler and 0.5 miles from home. Got a sore shoulder and the bike is fecked. Could have been worse though.

Can't embed the video so this hyperlink takes you to my blog

Do not need telling by me, but it is fortunate that the dark car coming from the opposite entrance that your entered the roundabout from, did not drive over you. Very much hope that you are okay and that it was only the bicycle that is written off. Fortunate, that the CCTV was a provider of good evidence. All the best and sorry that you were knocked over and hope you are looking upon the incident favourably. Regards

MikeG

Guru
That's just horrible. Horrible, horrible. I hope you mend soon, and completely, and that you get a nice shiny new bike on the driver's insurance, plus a few quid for your trouble. It must have been an awful feeling lying on the tarmac in front of another car. For a second I bet you wondered whether it had seen you.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Do not need telling by me, but it is fortunate that the dark car coming from the opposite entrance that your entered the roundabout from, did not drive over you...

...It must have been an awful feeling lying on the tarmac in front of another car. For a second I bet you wondered whether it had seen you.

I had no idea where i landed or that another car was there. Quite interesting watching it. I have the full CCTV and can slow it to individual frames. I remember just going limp and not bracing anything when the car hit me and I can see that worked quite well. Keep waking up reliving it.

Sara_H

Guru
Wow! Nasty!

This is the stuff of nightmares. I ride very defensively, but it just boils down to bad luck that you could happen upon a driver like this who just isn't paying proper attention.

I've been very anxious about stuff like this since someone rear ended me in my car at a red traffic light a couple of years ago. The driver was still accelerating and going at some speed even though the light had been at red for some time. If I'd been on my bike, things would have been very nasty.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just spoke to the Traffic Officer dealing with my RTC. Apparently, even after being shown the video, the driver of the vehicle that hit me still doesn't see what he did wrong! The driver is being prosecuted for driving 'without due care and attention'.
What a total nobber! Wonder if he would have pulled the same stunt if a cement mixer was coming on to the roundabout!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just spoke to the Traffic Officer dealing with my RTC. Apparently, even after being shown the video, the driver of the vehicle that hit me still doesn't see what he did wrong! The driver is being prosecuted for driving 'without due care and attention'.

Maybe he'd understand better if you staged a reconstruction but swapped vehicles.

GC

David Higson

The driver obviously missed rule 170 of the HIghway Code, he failed to regulate his speed whilst approaching a junction, (in this case a roundabout.) There's a double dotted line which indicates that he should have been cautious of and given way to oncoming traffic. As such, he should have been slowing down rather than speeding up. Astonishingly, he then parks up in the middle of the roundabout and exits his vehicle, (causing further hazards to all traffic) He exits the car extremely quickly - Was he wearing a seatbelt? If he was, he was pretty quick on the release. You had rolled into the chevron zone so he had no need to protect you from oncoming traffic by staying put.
He seems to have made an assumption that there was a gap that he could jump into. Either than or he didn't see you,
I drive through Manchester every day and see clowns behaving like this all the time. Don't know what gets into them

Top Bottom