Cyclist down Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Glad your ok, looks horrific!

Some people really have a 'I can do no wrong, I've been driving for 25 years etc' mentalit and are just an absolute pain to reason with when it truely is their fault!

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Just ordered the replacement bicycle. My wrecked bike was a Verenti Rhigos 0.3 (Wiggle own brand). Nice bike and I'd upgraded the groupset/components as things wore out. I'd just fitted Ultegra 6800 calipers and new hand built, mid depth wheels the week before the incident. I'm now getting an all Ultegra Di2 spec'd Scott Foil 15. I didn't want to pay any more than my old bike was worth new but with this deal i think i've got a cracker. Hope I can soon ride it more than the 4 miles i'm currently managing!

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If the police went to that driver's house I wouldn't be surprised if they found a few of these on the wall:

cycle_trophy.jpg

GC

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wow, yikes, crikey! Just seen this and what shocking footage. The ape driving the car didn't slow at all as he approached and crossed the roundabout so he had no chance to check the road was clear. He could just as easily have failed to spot a bus coming at that speed (if he even looked?) and he has been caught bang to rights with the CCTV footage.

Just my humble opinion and I'm not one of the cycling Nazi types but that driver should lose his licence and have to start again. That wasn't just a lapse or an accident, his actions show a total disregard for the safety of other road users and up until the point he hit you he seemed to be calm and confident about travelling across the busy roundabout at that speed.

Get well soon D. I'm sure the new bike will help and you will quickly bounce back from this :thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just seen this. :ohmy:
Make sure that the shoulder heals properly before doing anything daft with it.
Sue that bloody driver too. If he really cannot see what he did wrong then hurt his pocket. His premiums will go up for years and years after being done for driving without due care, especially if there is a great big claim against him. He might lie to the insurance co and say that it was a claim for £200 or whatever but these companies do share things on a database and they will find out, to the penny, how much any claim on his policy was for and penalise him accordingly.

How can that driver not see what he did wrong? Is he somehow mentally stymied?

GWS and I'm looking forward to pics of the new bike.

400bhp

Guru
Bl00dy hell.

V V glad you walked away (relatively) unscathed.

Interesting point on not bracing for impact. Reckon it served you well.

Why oh why can't people just hold their hand up and say sorry.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Thanks for all the kind wishes. Here is a recovery update.

Riding the bike for 5-6 miles at a time. Can't get up out of the saddle for any power though. Hurts my left shoulder and left ankle too much.

Got a copy of my shoulder MRI report. The pertinent sections:

1. Large effusion at the acromioclavicular joint
2. Disruption of the joint capsule with extension of fluid into soft tissues superior to the acromioclavicular joint
3. High signal in the anterior part of the proximal deltoid muscle in keeping with partial tear
4. No tendon damage
5. No bone marrow oedema

Physio is going fine. As well as the range of movement exercises i'm already doing, the physio has just commenced me on a strengthening programme.

Waiting to see an orthopaedic shoulder surgeon to see if I need an arthroscopy or just to continue with physio exercises for the moment.

Scabs have all fallen off.

Enjoy your riding everyone. And remember...let's all keep safe out there!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's usually an MRI. Surgery is often a good option with shoulders. I struggled with mine for 2 years, then got it operated on and it was another 18 months before it was sorted.

MikeG

Guru
It's just that "hot spot" (or "high signal") in terms of soft tissue injury is something you'd normally hear after a CAT scan, rather than an MRI.

Top Bottom