Cyclists Beware: The cancer is spreading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry, haven't had time to read the whole thread, so maybe somebody already said this.
A new sticker is required imo: "cyclist, do not pass this lorry on the left, even if the cycle lane takes you there"

U

User169

[QUOTE 4495239, member: 259"]If the stickers that people are seeing are these:

blijf-achter-mij.jpg

They are part of a national campaign in NL called Velilig op de weg (Safe on the roads) which is run by cycling safety and trucking industry organisations.

Kids get lessons at school on how to avoid blind trucks' spots and they are told that the best place to be in relation to a truck, esepcualliy at traffic lights, is on the right and a few meters behind. The stickers are meant to reinforce this.

They do a similar thing for schools in Flanders.[/QUOTE]

I've never noticed one of the stickers, although I think two of my kids have had the training.

The only truck I saw today had a sticker "Grandpa Frits" where the bike sticker would have been.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As a very experienced road user (car driver and cyclist) I assume that all road users are scanning for other road users all the time while manouevring,
You can't be very experienced then. After 35 years of motorcycling, I assume that all other road users are blind, stupid, drunk, selfish, phone using nobbers who have never passed a driving test. I find that helps me to survive.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You can't be very experienced then. After 35 years of motorcycling, I assume that all other road users are blind, stupid, selfish, phone using nobbers. I find that helps me to survive.
Yeah, I did that for a long time. I find I survive better with less stress and have more fun with my current attitude. But since you're telling me that all lorry drivers are inconsiderate shoots who are taught not to care about anyone else's safety while they're making dangerous manoeuvres, I may have to reappraise my approach - selectively.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yeah, I did that for a long time. I find I survive better with less stress and have more fun with my current attitude. But since you're telling me that all lorry drivers are inconsiderate shoots who are taught not to care about anyone else's safety while they're making dangerous manoeuvres, I may have to reappraise my approach - selectively.
That's not what I'm telling you, but if that's what you choose to take from it then that's ok, we could go round in circles forever.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A new sticker is required imo: "cyclist, do not pass this lorry on the left, even if the cycle lane takes you there"
Nah, what's required is a few police snipers at different undisclosed junctions each day shooting any lorryist who overtakes people cycling on the approach. Then the deaths will soon stop, one way or another ;)

And does it make bus drivers re-think how they drive around cyclists? Or even generally? That's the acid test.
Here in Luton, Arriva Buses are in fact very good around cyclists - a lot of their drivers as well as the local senior management do cycle, and their training has always included cycle awareness. Unfortunately we can't get the other bus operators interested in similar events, and their drivers are not good around cyclists.

Last edited:
It is odd how people react in this way, and disregard the "how on earth do we allow vehicles this dangerous on our roads?" option.
You can't ban buses though!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Well, you could try to clarify what you are saying. My interpretation is that you are saying lorries and lorry drivers are perfectly safe, provided the rest of us understand that they aren't and make appropriate allowances. Is that close?
Now we're just being silly. If you think that way, then all vehicles (bikes included) are dangerous if people are stupid enough to put themselves in a position where they are likely to come into contact with said vehicle.
I've made my point several times over on this thread now, do we always need to go round in circles, SCP style, with these things? It's boring and tedious.
I'm in Speyside on my motorbike, doing my best to avoid conflict with other road users. That means keeping out their way where appropriate. Now I have some whisky tasting to do, so if you don't mind, I'll be off......

srw

Now we're just being silly. If you think that way, then all vehicles (bikes included) are dangerous if people are stupid enough to put themselves in a position where they are likely to come into contact with said vehicle.
I've made my point several times over on this thread now, do we always need to go round in circles, SCP style, with these things? It's boring and tedious.
I'm in Speyside on my motorbike, doing my best to avoid conflict with other road users. That means keeping out their way where appropriate. Now I have some whisky tasting to do, so if you don't mind, I'll be off......
It feels like you're trying very hard to demonstrate that you're a nobber.

All vehicles are dangerous if people are stupid enough to put themselves in the wrong place.... Keep out of the way of other road users.... I ride a motorbike to go and taste whisky....

As @User says it's your prerogative not to explain what you mean clearly enough for other people to understand - but so far you've been so unclear that people have interpreted what you believe are sensible defensive precautions as the worst kind of driver arrogance and victim blaming.

srw

...and if this thread has made a driver or two think more carefully about the way they drive and the way they come across then it's been a useful exercise.

Brandane

Legendary Member
All vehicles are dangerous if people are stupid enough to put themselves in the wrong place.... Keep out of the way of other road users.... I ride a motorbike to go and taste whisky.....
First two points, already covered.
Third point, if it's actually any of your business, is that the whisky tasting was done yesterday evening, at my hotel, once the bike was parked up for the night.
You or anyone else are welcome to give me any alcohol test this morning before I set off again.

Brandane

Legendary Member
...and if this thread has made a driver or two think more carefully about the way they drive and the way they come across then it's been a useful exercise.
Likewise if it (or those stickers) has made a few cyclists rethink their intention to go up the inside of left turning HGV's..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Likewise if it (or those stickers) has made a few cyclists rethink their intention to go up the inside of left turning HGV's..
They've made me rethink my intention and decide to pass them in the clear wide bike or bike/bus lane on their left disobeying their bloody sticker and additionally to hurl abuse at them as I do.

Displaying traffic signs on vehicles that give instructions contrary to the highway code (such as many of those sort of stickers when the vehicle is NOT turning) should be a criminal offence. Obeying them in many situations would really naff up the flow of cycle traffic to the detriment of everyone.

Top Bottom