"Die In"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
15th Nov in London , there will be at Marble Arch in London , a DIE IN , similar to that of Nov.2013 !

Anyone heard of this?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I went to the one last November outside TfL. A number of fellow CC parishoners attended, as did a naked cyclist wearing only socks and shoes. Given the cold weather, he was quite impressive.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To me, protected means the sorts of thing we see on http://pedestrianiselondon.tumblr.com/ and http://www.protectedintersection.com/ being available for cyclists to use, plus modal filtering in low-speed zones; whereas I feel "segregated" does risk more politicians following the "we've built it so let's force them to use it" policy of UKIP's 2010 manifesto.

So I'm asking for safe refuges rather than segregating bikes and cars.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
To me, protected means the sorts of thing we see on http://pedestrianiselondon.tumblr.com/ and http://www.protectedintersection.com/ being available for cyclists to use, plus modal filtering in low-speed zones; whereas I feel "segregated" does risk more politicians following the "we've built it so let's force them to use it" policy of UKIP's 2010 manifesto.

So I'm asking for safe refuges rather than segregating bikes and cars.

Looks like a euphemism for segregation, then. And do you not worry about the connotations of having to "protect" cyclists and give them "refuges" as they go about their normal business? These are words about fear. If we, or pedestrians, need refuges, then we ought to be controlling the thing that we are taking refuge from. The video was too boring to watch in its entirety, but I made it a fair way through. The most striking thing about it, for me, is the uncritical acceptance of heavy motor traffic.

mjr

Looks like a euphemism for segregation, then. And do you not worry about the connotations of having to "protect" cyclists and give them "refuges" as they go about their normal business? These are words about fear. If we, or pedestrians, need refuges, then we ought to be controlling the thing that we are taking refuge from.
Pedestrians already have refuges, with footways alongside most major roads and protected in law (although enforcement is currently rather weak and even worse outside London). Yes, these are words about fear, but fear is almost a bigger reason not to cycle than the actual dangers - look at the Get Britain Cycling report for a reminder.

Protection is no euphemism for segregation. I don't want to change the cyclists that find mixing in with motor vehicles works well for them and I will do my best to defend our right to the roads. No cycleway network will go everywhere or accommodate every cycle type, no more than the motorway network does for motor vehicles, so we will still need the roads.

I agree that we ought to be controlling the motor vehicles better, but that's the beauty of things: we don't have to campaign for just one thing. The Die In has a list of ten demands.

subaqua

What’s the point
whats a bigger killer

CO2 or particulates and the smog from fumes and NO2 .

nice attempt but get real . Biodiesel is " environmentally-sustainable renewable source" but still pumps out particulates and NO2 .

and I still stand by the argument that TC presents here that perhaps we should be reducing fear etc by ensuring a better education and prosecution of those who break the law when travelling.

mjr

nice attempt but get real . Biodiesel is " environmentally-sustainable renewable source" but still pumps out particulates and NO2 .
Doesn't that overlook that particulate pollution is part of the "STOP KLLING WITH POLLUTION" demand?

and I still stand by the argument that TC presents here that perhaps we should be reducing fear etc by ensuring a better education and prosecution of those who break the law when travelling.
which is part of the "STOP KILLINGS WITHOUT LIABILITY" demand.

subaqua

What’s the point
Doesn't that overlook that particulate pollution is part of the "STOP KLLING WITH POLLUTION" demand?

which is part of the "STOP KILLINGS WITHOUT LIABILITY" demand.

but then specifically mention CO2 . and not specifically mention particulates. still nice try . I bet the LCC are involved with the segregation agenda

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone any idea how it went Die In
"The Stop The Killing campaign turned heads with their parade, which included a lone bagpiper and a traditional horse-drawn hearse - carrying an empty coffin to represent the ‘Unknown Victim’ of road deaths.

This emotive parade stopped for two minutes of silence at Oxford Street, then marched down to Marble Arch. Here thousands of cyclists played dead on the floor for 10 minutes to draw attention to the 26,313 people killed by ‘traffic violence’ in the decade 2003 to 2012.

That number includes drivers injured in car accidents, but the focus of Stop The Killing’s demonstration was better safety for walkers and cyclists.

They first staged a ‘die-in’ in November 2013 outside the headquarters of Transport for London after a tragic spate of cycle deaths."

Last edited:

mjr

Seemed pretty good. ITV news crew there. Took five to ten minutes to cross Oxford circus. Our move west combined with a broken down bus heading east to produce a short traffic free Oxford Street behind us for a while, which shoppers seemed to like, so if nothing else, that was good. We'll have to see if it draws much national response as the regional press comes out this week but Boris's spokesmen were out in the media again trying to defend their record so at least it keeps it talked about in a better way than Brake's mutual respect rubbish.

Top Bottom