Dimming lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
what's seen from the saddle isn't what oncomers see... so that image is useless.

without a proper diffusing lens, my light is still too bright even when dipped as yours is. which is why it's pretty much aimed at my front wheel.
What light do you have? I have seen other cyclists' B&M Cyo headlamps and whilst they appear very bright, they do not dazzle; the led cannot be seen directly from the front of the lamp - it is mounted at the top of the lamp pointing to the rear and the light is reflected down and forwards - the housing for the led helps provide the cut-off in beam pattern - the top lamp in this diagram:

feu-avant-pour-velo-lumotec-iq-cyo-t-senso-plus-light-24_full_4.jpg

Attachments

• feu-avant-pour-velo-lumotec-iq-cyo-t-senso-plus-light-24_full_4.jpg
    feu-avant-pour-velo-lumotec-iq-cyo-t-senso-plus-light-24_full_4.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 39

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
fluxient-4x-xp-g2-jpg.149220.jpg

See how much more usable the light in the last pic is?
See how even in the last pic, it's lighting the trees up brightly enough to suggest it's going to dazzle other road users? It's a real shame Torchy doesn't seem to have pics of any road lights.

Attachments

• fluxient-4x-xp-g2-jpg.149220.jpg
    fluxient-4x-xp-g2-jpg.149220.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 35

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
@Bazzer Mounting on a helmet is a bit unecessary unless you are riding trails at night, in which you would need it to be directional. Bar mount will surfice and pointed way down like others have suggested.

I know. The only time I have ever had one on my helmet was a night ride with the Fridays. And that was one I normally use in my garage when working on my car and was solely for travelling unlit roads, to supplement my bar lights. For unlit roads on my commute I use my normal bar lights.

dim

Cost isn't the point. The point is that some of these super high quoted lumen lamps (solarstorm is a common one) put out a beam of light that is either unusable as it's a big circle (known as a hotspot) or it spreads light so far to the peripheral it is going to do nothing but dazzle rabbits,walkers or other road users no matter what you do.

I'm a huge fan and believer in lower lumen ratings and diffuser lens installed. The beam of light is softer and far more useful.

Pics borrowed from the internets, but I hope you can see the idea.

View attachment 149222 View attachment 149221 View attachment 149220

See how much more usable the light in the last pic is?

I prefer the 1st photo .... maybe it's because I'm old :laugh:

I will be adding a dynamo hub to my Surly Long Haul Trucker plus dynamo lights. I will use this bike for most of my winter commuting as it has mudguards, wider tyres etc.

I spent days researching dynamo lights and have opted for a Son 28 dynamo hub, Lumitec IQ-X front light, Toplight Line Brake Plus rear light, E-Werk charger.

I will see how that works but from looking at photos of the front light operating in the dark, I doubt that it will be much better than my cheap Chinese Solarstorm on a headstrap

dim

If you need a light that bright for those speeds then imho your light is poorly designed for road use. I can cycle comfortably on unlit winding single track lanes (with pot-holes, horse muck and fly-tipped all-sorts including builder's rubble and a fridge) at 25 mph with a B&M IQ Cyo T Premium which is rated at 80 lux and does not dazzle other road users without any need for dipping or dimming.

Here's an article written by someone who has used most types of light discussed here - linky

B&M reference two Ixon IQ Speed lamps at 50 lux each as being approximately 190 lumens (source)

I gave up on my Fenix BT20 rated a 750 lumens because as a road light, it didn't have a useful beam pattern - even after I fixed a large reflective visor onto it (see here and here for pictures).

the B&M IQ Cyo T Premium is a dynamo light ... add a decent dynamo hub, pay to have the wheel built and the lights installed/wired and you are looking at £200 instead of £16

dim

If you occupy as much room on the road and regularly cycle as fast as a Volvo bus on a motorway, then why not? Otherwise:thumbsdown:.

many people who don't own these cheap Solarstorms say that they are crap .... many who actually own them and use them on a daily basis say they are great .... some complain about the battery, but they charge it wrong (mine is now being used in it's 2nd year) .... I've never read a post about anyone who actually owns one, saying that the light is crap

by using a headstrap, if the road has many cyclists, you adjust the light to point downwards a bit (the light sits ontop of a bracket that is adjustable) .... when you get to a very dark road with little or few other cyclists,you tilt the light a bit up and then you can see a whole lot further and you can cycle a lot faster .... when you see a cyclist or car approaching, you tilt your head a bit to the left so as not to blind them

try one .... they only cost £16 off ebay.... it's been one of the best buys for cycling that I have ever made

if you cycle in the city or well lit places, you don't need one of these.... get a cheap blinky

mythste

Veteran
many people who don't own these cheap Solarstorms say that they are crap .... many who actually own them and use them on a daily basis say they are great .... some complain about the battery, but they charge it wrong (mine is now being used in it's 2nd year) .... I've never read a post about anyone who actually owns one, saying that the light is crap

by using a headstrap, if the road has many cyclists, you adjust the light to point downwards a bit (the light sits ontop of a bracket that is adjustable) .... when you get to a very dark road with little or few other cyclists,you tilt the light a bit up and then you can see a whole lot further and you can cycle a lot faster .... when you see a cyclist or car approaching, you tilt your head a bit to the left so as not to blind them

try one .... they only cost £16 off ebay.... it's been one of the best buys for cycling that I have ever made

if you cycle in the city or well lit places, you don't need one of these.... get a cheap blinky

I own one.

I don't think it's crap.

It is catagorically unsuitable and borderline dangerous to be used on public roads and cyclepaths with a headstrap.

dim

You're telling me you've got this wonderlght that lets you cycle so much faster, but you don't always look where you're going when cycling in the dark?

a slight tilt to the left, and a slight tilt to the ground and it's good .... no-one has sworn or cursed at me yet:smile:

mythste

Veteran
well.... you ain't seen nothing yet .... I have my sights on a Dinotte rear light .... it can be seen from a mile away .... hoping to buy one in January:
http://store.dinottelighting.com/new-quad-red-taillight-with-built-in-battery-p111.aspx

I appreciate you taking my comments in a forum appropriate way, but really! Stick it on something head height, turn other lights off and try and walk towards it in a straight line and tell me you can concentrate!

No one has cursed you yet because they're too busy scrabbling at the holes in their faces that used to contain eyeballs.

Reactions: mjr

freiston

Veteran
the B&M IQ Cyo T Premium is a dynamo light ... add a decent dynamo hub, pay to have the wheel built and the lights installed/wired and you are looking at £200 instead of £16
Firstly, I never alluded to the Cyo being £16. I wouldn't expect to get a high powered (e.g. 80 lux) proper road lamp for £16. Secondly, you can get it a lot cheaper than £200 - that is more than twice what I paid - my wheel was £53 and my front lamp £40 (ordered last year - from Germany). Affixing and wiring the lights is basic stuff that should be within the scope of most riders. Imho, if one is going to cycle at a decent pace on unlit roads, then a certain investment in lighting is required and in the grander scheme of things, the dynamo route is not expensive and is rarely anything other than a 'one-off' but a lot of money is spent (often repeatedly by single cyclists) on cheaper lights that are not really suited for the job without causing nuisance/danger to other road users.

Top Bottom