Do we know how lucky we are?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What I'm getting at is.......get some bollocks and do something meaningful with your life you boring bastards.
Dan, Do you mean do something like catching several trains halfway across the country to buy a 20yr old car unseen and then drive it home in the dark and the fog? ^_^ :thumbsup:

EDIT: It was 30+ miles beyond Kings Lynn FFS!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
War is miles away. Not hungry. Most people have a car . Disease is more or less under control. We have a vote.

What can we moan about? Really?

This summer's cycle tour through Hungary, Serbia and Croatia, particularly Serbia and Croatia brought it home to me how lucky I was. I met folk traumatised through war, saw enduring scars on buildings, and villages caused by the battles between the Serbians and Croatians, listened to the tales of horror endured by folk who were kids at the hight of the conflict, folk who aspired to a £60 per week job and for whom a television was a luxury that necessitated a visit to a bank to arrange a loan for its purchase. I cycled through villages whose water source was a solitary standpipe and spent four days is a capital city whose major museums were all shut for at least the rest of the year and met skilled artisans whose income was derived from peddling tacky tourist tat because the industrial base had disappeared. Bicycles and walking were the primary modes of transport unless there was a tram system available where most journeys were free because the ticket machines didn't work nor did the franking machines and there weren't any inspectors in sight. All of the misfortune was met by the natives with a quiet resignation.

Despite all the internal woes I enjoyed great hospitality and kindness and I'll never find grounds for moaning about any of my plights real or imaginary.

Cubist

Still wavin'
There's a photo on the BBC website of people desperately reaching out to a man distributing stuff. The parallels with desperate refugees or famine victims is plain to see, except this was for cheap consumer goods in 2014 UK.

I got your original meaning Dan, but was distracted by the swear filter daffodils.

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
This summer's cycle tour through Hungary, Serbia and Croatia, particularly Serbia and Croatia brought it home to me how lucky I was. I met folk traumatised through war, saw enduring scars on buildings, and villages caused by the battles between the Serbians and Croatians, listened to the tales of horror endured by folk who were kids at the hight of the conflict, folk who aspired to a £60 per week job and for whom a television was a luxury that necessitated a visit to a bank to arrange a loan for its purchase. I cycled through villages whose water source was a solitary standpipe and spent four days is a capital city whose major museums were all shut for at least the rest of the year and met skilled artisans whose income was derived from peddling tacky tourist tat because the industrial base had disappeared. Bicycles and walking were the primary modes of transport unless there was a tram system available where most journeys were free because the ticket machines didn't work nor did the franking machines and there weren't any inspectors in sight. All of the misfortune was met by the natives with a quiet resignation.

Despite all the internal woes I enjoyed great hospitality and kindness and I'll never find grounds for moaning about any of my plights real or imaginary.

thats what im on about.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well, I suppose the OP has a point, but no one gives a toss really and that's the way it will remain until the Vulcans come down and make first contact.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's a photo on the BBC website of people desperately reaching out to a man distributing stuff. The parallels with desperate refugees or famine victims is plain to see, except this was for cheap consumer goods in 2014 UK.

I got your original meaning Dan, but was distracted by the swear filter daffodils.

Someone postedpicture that on Twitter drawing the same parallel, and I commented that if people learnt to value consumer goods less, they might be richer financially, and mentally. Which led eventually to someone else pretty much accusing me of being a racist snob.

Dan-bo is absolutely right. Most of us have nothing to really complain about. Maybe that's the problem, In the absence of hardship, we become so self absorbed. Maybe we need a minimum amount of grumbling in life, and if we have enough to eat and a roof over our heads, we have to expend that grumbling on how crisps aren't in the right colour packets.

young Ed

Veteran
my music in my headphones is a bit loud, now i have to press some buttons to turn it down :sad:
i also want a coffee but am a lazy bastard and can't be bothered to make it

and i have been off the bike for AGES now :sad: :sad:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

Someone postedpicture that on Twitter drawing the same parallel, and I commented that if people learnt to value consumer goods less, they might be richer financially, and mentally. Which led eventually to someone else pretty much accusing me of being a racist snob.

Dan-bo is absolutely right. Most of us have nothing to really complain about. Maybe that's the problem, In the absence of hardship, we become so self absorbed. Maybe we need a minimum amount of grumbling in life, and if we have enough to eat and a roof over our heads, we have to expend that grumbling on how crisps aren't in the right colour packets.
You'll do for me sue.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sometimes you just have to stop and take stock. I had a revelation about ten years ago when I stopped hankering after stuff I wanted and started to appreciate what I'd already got. It was then that I realised I had all I needed in real terms, and that life was now about other people more than it was about me. Luxuries can fall a long way down in my priorities.

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

Sometimes you just have to stop and take stock. I had a revelation about ten years ago when I stopped hankering after stuff I wanted and started to appreciate what I'd already got. It was then that I realised I had all I needed in real terms, and that life was now about other people more than it was about me. Luxuries can fall a long way down in my priorities.
We can all do so much more with ourselves.

Top Bottom