Do we know how lucky we are?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Being born in the UK means you've already won the lottery, at least it's only fighting over a TV here. There are a lot of people in the world fighting for survival.
@Cubist puts it well. This time of year I get asked the usual 'what do you want for Christmas?'. I don't need more 'stuff' - I have enough, more than enough. What I actually want is to be at home, which isn't going to happen again this year. My son will be home for weeks over the period, I'm only going to get to spend a few days with him.

Most of us have nothing to really complain about. Maybe that's the problem, In the absence of hardship...

That's part of the problem, just because "you/me/we" are not enduring "hardship" does nor give the proper picture, nor does it reflect the experiences of "most".

I read @vernon's post and recognise the same level of trauma from different circumstances in this country - children living in fear, at risk of abuse, at risk of death, women who are abused and held hostage, men who have the fear of their loved ones being tortured if they do not comply; the fear of DWP sanctions, the impact of being "poor" and "worthless". Religious "pressure", government and media "norms" that shame "difference". People with mental health problems, physical disabilities, learning difficulties are seen as scum and "not contributing". Children who have been abused who are "bad". Women who have been raped who are "deserving of abuse". And policies that support all this are accepted. In fact they are welcomed.

It's a disgrace.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Here's hoping.
Aren't we supposed to have a total collapse of civilization or something before that? I'll be holding out for those "Wings over the World" guys.
h-g-wells-things-to-come-1936.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7WeEO92i2NvFlo6B3HU9fNXTUNPEa8AyDuXsBECCC_GIwuC6DmA.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
This time of year I get asked the usual 'what do you want for Christmas?'. I don't need more 'stuff' - I have enough said:
want[/I] is to be at home, which isn't going to happen again this year. My son will be home for weeks over the period, I'm only going to get to spend a few days with him.

Same here. I am having to think of some pretty bizarre things. Cock capes for example, (not what you're thinking although a gift for Fnaar). When I suggest a donation to the Cleft Lip charity, all I get is, "There must be something you want." This year, I will insist on the donation, or make one myself.

Edit: Quote didn't work as I meant but, close enough!

Cubist

Still wavin'
tQUOTE="Arch, post: 3401286, member: 46"]Most of us have nothing to really complain about. Maybe that's the problem, In the absence of hardship...

That's part of the problem, just because "you/me/we" are not enduring "hardship" does nor give the proper picture, nor does it reflect the experiences of "most".

I read @vernon's post and recognise the same level of trauma from different circumstances in this country - children living in fear, at risk of abuse, at risk of death, women who are abused and held hostage, men who have the fear of their loved ones being tortured if they do not comply; the fear of DWP sanctions, the impact of being "poor" and "worthless". Religious "pressure", government and media "norms" that shame "difference". People with mental health problems, physical disabilities, learning difficulties are seen as scum and "not contributing". Children who have been abused who are "bad". Women who have been raped who are "deserving of abuse". And policies that support all this are accepted. In fact they are welcomed.

It's a disgrace.[/QUOTE]
Throughout my career I have seen a slow but nonetheless perceptible creep towards recognising the needs of people rather than punishing the consequences. Partnership initiatives are proposed and in part implemented to address the problems, but my lasting conclusion is that they tend to be under-resourced, hampered by bureaucratic BS, derided by the hierarchy ( until they hit the headlines when the knee-jerk reaction is for everyone to run around looking for someone to blame or sack) or undertaken by people with insufficient resolve to make a real difference. In a hedonistic society that cares more about the colour of Holly Willoghby's frock than it does about the welfare of the elderly neighbour, I'd like to say some of us at leasttry to make a difference, but public services are now hamstrung, with the government successfully turning public opinion against caring services, accusing local government employees as having their snouts in the trough. Disgrace indeed that what little we did try to do has been reduced further by party politics and media frenzy.

Top Bottom