Votes: 1 100.0%
  • RLJ and ride on pavement

• Ride on pavement but no RLJ

• I dont do ethier and stick to the law

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

I certainly don't RLJ and the road is the place to cycle, not the footpath

U

User482

Actually, there is one light I jump on my commute. It's a bus/ cycle lane and my bike won't trigger the signal. So if I can be excused that one, I'll stick with "obey the law".

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Nope, even though it penalises me relatively heavily as many lights are timed for cars to roar through with just enough time and because I'm going slowly I usually get clobbered at each set. Life and travel are about more than being selfish and feeling oppressed about some minor inconvenience.

User3143 said:
over 70% stick to the law? hmmm

For fear of being caught on camera by me, perhaps! :rofl:

I do not, and will not jump a red light. The obvious exception is for lights that are not triggered by cyclists, however, I have not come across any like that yet and so haven't done it.

I have pavement cycled in the past, but I saw the err in my ways and no longer do this.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User3143 said:
over 70% stick to the law? hmmm
Why's it so hard to believe?

Bikes are traffic, and should stick to the traffic law applicable to them if the riders want to be treated as such, imo. This seems increasingly unfashionable in Manchester, but there you go.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Magnatome, you're welcome to come to Singapore and film me RLJing too, i do it right in front of the cops here, they don't care

heck, you can film me doing it in london, it'll make bugger all difference to me

domtyler

Über Member
I will jump the odd red light if I am 99% sure it is safe and will not inconvenience anyone else. I am not going to come here and pretend to be an angel. I occasionally ride on the pavement when I have the child on the back, maybe if we're coming back from the park and then it is at walking speed.

One thing I do try to do on the roads is to be patient, thoughtful and considerate of everyone else, especially when it is vulnerable road users and never try and punish people for making a cock up.

zimzum42 said:
Magnatome, you're welcome to come to Singapore and film me RLJing too, i do it right in front of the cops here, they don't care

heck, you can film me doing it in london, it'll make bugger all difference to me

Ah but anyone who red light jumps makes a difference to me (in the UK at least)..... Ah but thats a story for another thread, has been done to death etc.

U

User482

User76 said:
I'll jump some lights, especially as User482 says, when my bike is not heavy enough to trigger the system .....not even with me on it:blush:

I'm told that modern detectors work on an electromagnetic signature which should pick up your bike, rather than pressure pads. Buses have a box of tricks on board which triggers the light in bus lanes as they approach. As the detector doesn't work for bikes on my commute at least, I either jump the light or wait for the next bus to come along!

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
I'm told that modern detectors work on an electromagnetic signature which should pick up your bike, rather than pressure pads. Buses have a box of tricks on board which triggers the light in bus lanes as they approach. As the detector doesn't work for bikes on my commute at least, I either jump the light or wait for the next bus to come along!

But surely you'll just end up waiting ages before three come along at once! :rofl:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User482 said:

I've had problems too not triggering lights and I would say its only ever a problem on bus lanes (is this in the town centre opposite the Hippodrome?) I now cycle across the paved central area slowly dodging the pedestrians who don't know it is for cyclists too.

Top Bottom