Do You Wear A Tie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't wear ties very often. For school children I believe it is totally wrong and just some posh right wing fad doing the rounds.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The last wedding i went to, i didnt bother.
I also went to a posh christening in shorts and t shirt while most other people were dressed very smart.

Ive got to go to my GF's prom in a suit though:sad: And apparently the jacket and tie has to be kept on till at least 9 when they have finished giving out the awards or some other crap.
Me in a suit:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
:evil:

Maz

Guru
I once went to a fancy dress party where a bloke had dozens of ties pinned to his jacket, claiming to have come as The King of Thailand. :evil:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Maz said:
I once went to a fancy dress party where a bloke had dozens of ties pinned to his jacket, claiming to have come as The King of Thailand. :evil:

:laugh::laugh: - Thats my next fancy dress party sorted! ha ha

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I do. I don't have to, and a large number of my colleagues wear casual clothes to work.

Personally, I find I need the distinction between "work" and "not at work", and dressing a bit more formally helps me maintain that psychologically. Besides which, I quite like the way I look in shirt and tie. The downside is that people who don't know our team tend to assume I'm the gaffer, which can be awkward.

I wore one for 25 years in my old job. Never liked fastening my top shirt button though - bad enough having to wear a tie without feeling half throttled by my shirt collar.

Nowadays, I never wear one socially and don't need to for work either. Last time I did wear one was my son's graduation, and that was mainly for the photographs. Wore one for the formal bit of a relative's wedding recently, but we were all able to change into casuals pretty soon after, which was a blessing as it was a hot day. Went to a funeral a couple of months back and was glad it was 'informal' dress by request - hardly anyone wore a tie.

At one time I must have had about 20 ties - now I think I have 4.

ChrisKH

Guru
rich p said:
I wore a Hawaiian shirt with no tie to my Dad's funeral as I knew he would have approved.

Conversely the opposite was true at my Dad's. Even though he was buried in his beloved Charlton shirt, he would have understood I had to wear a tie. Not the other three kids, just me.

Keith Oates

Janner
I only stopped wearing a tie on a daily basis when I went to work in mainland China, but even now I wear one on special occasions and don't find it a bother, except in the very hot weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
from time to time. My (non-cycling) shirts are a sort of trademark that have been known to bring meetings to a halt, and, once in a while, for a change, I'll wear a white shirt with a tie that has exploding skyscrapers on it.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
dellzeqq said:
My (non-cycling) shirts are a sort of trademark that have been known to bring meetings to a halt.

You're not Timmy Mallett are you Dell? :evil:

timmy.jpg

thomas

the tank engine
Will1985 said:
Besides, how can anybody be peanutted with a clip on tie?!? :smile:

YANKKKSSS - peaanutttt!

I used to wear a tie in the shop I used to worked in, even though the manager said I didn't have to. I don't wear a tie to my holiday time job as I can wear jeans and shirt (as long as I look presentable)...though, wearing a tie doesn't really bother me.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I wear ties for work and at formal events. Can't see the point the rest of the time, though I might wear a tie with a suit for a posh dinner. Stopped wearing one to the opera since it became common place to wear jeans there.

Top Bottom