Drinking and cycling. Is there a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Is this greatly different from the havoc a drunken pedestrian can create, though?
And what about drunken car passengers? Plenty of potential for driver distraction

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Given that alcohol reduces your general coherence and adds a self deceitful modicum of over confidence then yeah, it is a problem.

You can smash yourself into all manner of things on a bike and I don't buy the argument that you're only harming yourself if you get run over either, because besides letting all your friends, family and other acquaintances know that you died for being a bit of dick, you've probably screwed up the life of the (perhaps) innocent driver as well.

But besides all of that, cycling and vomiting at the same time can make a very pretty picture, if you like you're Jackson Pollock with an acidic stench, that is :biggrin:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I thought "drunk in charge" covered a multiude of offences including bicycle and parambulator
There is/was a law in Scotland at least, about being "drunk in charge of a carriage" which included a bicycle. The definition of "drunk" is open to interpretation though; there is no prescribed limit as there is with driving. You have to be pretty well bladdered to the point of being incapable of looking after yourself. Just the same as pedestrians then, who can be arrested for being "drunk and incapable".

Brandane

Legendary Member
Given that alcohol reduces your general coherence and adds a self deceitful modicum of over confidence then yeah, it is a problem.

You can smash yourself into all manner of things on a bike and I don't buy the argument that you're only harming yourself if you get run over either, because besides letting all your friends, family and other acquaintances know that you died for being a bit of dick, you've probably screwed up the life of the (perhaps) innocent driver as well.

But besides all of that, cycling and vomiting at the same time can make a very pretty picture, if you like you're Jackson Pollock with an acidic stench, that is :biggrin:
You can do all these things as a pedestrian.

bianchi1

Guru
There's a cycle club that turn up at my local now and again, all Lycra and matching team kit. The club is called 'Velo club fruits du Berger' which I believe means orchard fruit?.

Their facebook page says they are a "Worcestershire based group of cycling, cider and ale enthusiasts. The group rides to a variety of excellent and sometimes bizarre hostelries every Thursday. We also enters sportives and charity challenge rides."

Sounds amazing! Rough farm cider and cycling were made for each other.

EDIT...Should be velo club fruit du verger!!

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
We also enters sportives and charity challenge rides.

Great bit of writing for a zoider drinking crowd! Once read , you'll never get the West Country accent out of your ears.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There's a cycle club that turn up at my local now and again, all Lycra and matching team kit. The club is called 'Velo club fruits du Berger' which I believe means orchard fruit?.

Their facebook page says they are a "Worcestershire based group of cycling, cider and ale enthusiasts. The group rides to a variety of excellent and sometimes bizarre hostelries every Thursday. We also enters sportives and charity challenge rides."

Sounds amazing! Rough farm cider and cycling were made for each other.
Are you sure it isn't fruits du verger? Fruits du berger would be more like shepherd's fruit.

That said, I came across a flagon of scrumpy in LiDL of all places yesterday but it wouldn't have fitted in my pannier so I didn't buy it. Cider and cycling are not always compatible.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Of course you can, but you're probably going to do more damage on a bike than on your feet...unless you're in a prowling, scowling thug of a mood, that is.
Right, and you're probably going to do even more damage still if you're driving a car than on your bike. That's why we hold car drivers to more exacting standards than cyclists

bianchi1

Guru
Are you sure it isn't fruits du verger? Fruits du berger would be more like shepherd's fruit.

That said, I came across a flagon of scrumpy in LiDL of all places yesterday but it wouldn't have fitted in my pannier so I didn't buy it. Cider and cycling are not always compatible.

My bad.You are absolutely correct it is fruit du verger.

Im pretty sure no one wants to have a pint made from shepherds fruit.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
After a couple of doughnuts, I'll be off for a gentle twenty miles round Richmond Park as soon as it gets dark. I'll probably have more doughnuts when I get back. Am I a very bad person?

Top Bottom