Drinking and cycling. Is there a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A Doughnoholic.................................... do they have meetings......................... other than in coffee shops.:whistle:
Are they called "doughnoholics", or just plain old "nutters"?

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Right, and you're probably going to do even more damage still if you're driving a car than on your bike. That's why we hold car drivers to more exacting standards than cyclists

Oh, I don't. Look hard enough and I'm sure there'll be an example of a drunken cyclist killing someone else. Probably a drunken skateboarder and a drunken scooterer too, for that matter. I can't stand any drunks though, if I'm honest.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Are they called "doughnoholics", or just plain old "nutters"?
Dunno but I've been known to buy a bag from the 'fresh Do-nut' kiosk near Leicester market (you can watch em come out of the oil on a conveyor chain thingy 2 by 2) rush home and brew a nice strong black coffee, uncork and pour a glass of malt, then devour. :hungry: (see earlier post)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oh, I don't. Look hard enough and I'm sure there'll be an example of a drunken cyclist killing someone else. Probably a drunken skateboarder and a drunken scooterer too, for that matter. I can't stand any drunks though, if I'm honest.

This might be what's clouding your judgement on the issue...

Low Roller

It does indeed have a serious drink problem. The Guinness goes all over the place when I'm down on the drops.
And flaccid membership is the resultant outcome?? ( I just love that word "flaccid". Do I have to do anything special to join the ranks of flaccid members, apart from drink too much?)

PK99

Legendary Member
Getting out of ones face and then jumping on a bike is one of the few remaining pleasures in life which hasn't been outlawed (unless completely bladdered, which I am aware IS illegal).

Long may it continue. It's not like we are in charge of a potentially very fast moving ton of metal; we are only going to hurt ourselves.
:cheers:

Pedestrian hit by drunk cyclist dies
On July 4, just before the start of a fireworks show in Truckee, CA, Petra Bakker-Borhani, while riding her bicycle, struck Leonard Whitlow, who was in town from Sparks, Nevada, to see the show.

Bakkar-Borhani was arrested by Truckee police and booked into the Nevada County jail on charges of riding under the influence of alcohol.

According to a July 9 article in the Sacramento Bee, Whitlow died of the injuries he received as a result of being hit. He was in Reno's Renown Hospital with major head trauma.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pedestrian-hit-by-drunk-cyclist-dies

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Right, and you're probably going to do even more damage still if you're driving a car than on your bike. That's why we hold car drivers to more exacting standards than cyclists

Perhaps we should have variable legal levels of alcohol limits for different sized vehicles then.

Maybe a vehicle mass related sliding scale that starts at 1mg for whopping great big multi-axled truck drivers going all the way up to however many mg you like for sanctimonious cyclists.

This gives me an idea - a drinking/cycling sport. Theres already cyclocross as a crossover so...
A cyclocross race in which you have to have a beer on every lap, could even be considered as a handicap race. Bigger guys with a liking for ale and probably a higher tolerance for alcohol against the weight weenies, faster at first but affected by the beer more as race wears on.

Dunno if it's really a goer, but I fully intend to start training for it.

Top Bottom